DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

United States National Park Ban

What is your position on drones in National Parks?

• Unlimited access

• Allow with date/time/location/other restrictions

• Status quo - Keep them out

Results are only viewable after voting.
The issue is that their are only 60 designated national parks. MOST of the lands NPS control are not designated national parks but fall under their control. As such the National Park Service sweeping drone band applies to 13 National Monuments, 21 National Preserves, National Historic Parks (31), 88 National historic sites, 4 national battlefields parks, 10(ish) national military parks, 11(ish) national battlefields, 21 national memorials, 18 national recreation areas, 10 national seashores, four national lakeshores, 5 national rivers, 3 national reserves, 10 national parkways, 20 plus naitonal historie and scenic trails, 14 national cemeteries, dozen of sites in the national capital. Most the land NPS control are not national parks.

Heck, in northern part of Las Vegas, they even control a few hundred acres of a wash where some mammoth bones were found - Tule Springs Fossel Beds. Basicallly, an old wash where it would be difficult to build houses due to flash floods. There is not wildlife or solitude, as part of it is also designated class B airspace, high powered power lines run through it and off roaders and hikers have used it for years, if not still. Looks just like another large track of land in the valley that has yet to be developed.

My complaint is with NPS banning drones in National Recreation Areas. National recreation areas have a different designation. As such loud the beauty and solidute that might be afforded national parks is not found in National RECREATION areas. Mission for recreation areas is for people to recreate. My complaint is NPS Lake Mead National Recreation Area, which covers more than 1.5 million acres along the Colorado River. I have spoken to the NPS headquarters about the park and drones and they brag that they had set aside and area for RC modelers 1991. It is not conducive for drone photography.

Strange thing is you have loud jet skis, house boats, RVs with loud generators, off road vehicles, commercial paddle boats, tour helicopters and every conceivable obnoxious not environmental friendly activity going on in the populated of the lake. Add that to the drunks, cliff divers, bikini class women and party goers it is not a "nature loving moment". In fact, people also live at Lake Mead. However, better not fly a drone.

NPS needs to at least evaluate the drone policy for national recreation areas and rivers.

I hope you don't mind, but I updated my video and leveraged some of your post. Your points were so very well made I thought it added significant value. If you are uncomfortable with me doing that, I will remove it.

Keep them out of National Parks. Reason: For every responsible drone pilot there are 50 morons that will violate whatever rules are in place under date/time/other restrictions. It is much easier to just ban them entirely and then arrest/cite/fine ANYONE that is flying a drone in the park.

The problem isn't the drone, it's the morons.

Mark

Reactions: Classic flyer
How about everyone can use a drone all the want in National Parks and they won't disturb anyone? That would work.

Bottom line.. hypertheticals can be debated here until the cows come home. It won't change one single thing. Not one. After this thread runs its course and dies out nothing will have changed.

For anyone who does not like the current rules, I'd recommend sending an email or letter to the NPS.
I have spoken with a state park representative who issues waivers to fly in this state' park system. She recognizes that people are going to violate the rules. Even non drone pilots visiting the parks violate rules. They litter. They tread where they are not supposed to. They start campfires. They used motorized vehicles where they are not supposed to. The list goes on. I suspect they would be issued citations, if they were caught. I suspect most are not caught, and yet no one has a cow about their violations. No one cries foul over their dis-respect toward the quiet enjoyment of others, or at least they rarely help police them; likely for fear of retribution.

She's also aware that we can launch and land outside of the parks and fly over; thereby diluting the intended goal of the state park ban. Diluted by the rules of one of their own. i.e. the FAA

I reasoned with her. She seemed genuinely open to the idea of working toward a compromise. I think she realizes the futility of applying limited resources toward enforcement. I suspect one day soon though, they will be 'armed' with the technology to effectively identify violators without chasing the rabbit. Still, if we are allowed to fly over, then is there grounds for citation?
Some state's are passing laws to issue citations for disturbing the peace, and flying over crowds as a means around the FAA's 'authorization'. And, I'm glad they are. However, I don't think this discussion is around flying in parks at low altitudes over crowds. I can't speak for anyone but myself. My interest is to capture good lighting on landscapes without people in the frame. I'll gladly accept the back 40.

In a thread discussing the state park ban, I tried to rally the troops on this forum to work together toward reasonable unified representation. I got no traction, and abandoned the effort. I did not start the thread. Seems like people have interests that they don't want to work for.

I have no desire to violate the rules. Video from a drone is simply not worth it.

At the same time, I do believe rules should be under regular review. How many antiquated laws are still on the books? Did you see the recent news story about a boy in Denver Co. who successfully 'argued' for the legislature to lift the ban on snow ball fights? I think the ban/law (whatever) was approximately 100 years old. The law may have made sense at one time. We don't have the context necessary to evaluate the law's benefit to society. Interestingly, the young lad now has designs on a career in politics, so he can help change laws. I think he's about 10 years old, now.

If it were not for the insurmountable logistic challenges of drone delivery, the skies would be a buzz with drone invasion; all for the purpose of more efficiently delivering somebody' f'ing pizza. What would we debate then?

I simply want my own quiet enjoyment, and the right to peacefully and respectfully accept a negotiated provision.

BTW...Have you ever heard of street photography? With a regular camera, anyone can get up in someones face and take a picture. It's perfectly legal. The legal argument is that if people venture out of doors into a public venue, then they have effectively given up their right to privacy. The photographer cannot commercialize the image without a model release, but they can take all the pictures they want. Right up in your face. Instagram is loaded with these images, and Youtube has many how to videos on street photography. Check it out. It's actually much more interesting then drone imagery.

Reactions: badaxed
Keep them out of National Parks. Reason: For every responsible drone pilot there are 50 morons that will violate whatever rules are in place under date/time/other restrictions. It is much easier to just ban them entirely and then arrest/cite/fine ANYONE that is flying a drone in the park.

The problem isn't the drone, it's the morons.

Mark

Can’t dispute there are a plethora of morons.

I think that this thread has become a bit of an echo chamber. As both sides are making very good points, but we do not seem to be making progress and perhaps there is no answer and only opinion. If I could, could I pose a larger question to the group that might not only help clear up the debate, but could more-importantly, reveal the attitudes and general belief systems held by this crowd?
Ok here we go:
Putting all safety issues aside ie. flying over crowds, sporting events, etc. do we believe that there should be anywhere on this earth that is reserved exclusively for the soul to have peace where it is safe from the intrusion of technology, motorized vehicles and the throngs of the great unwashed public? Does everywhere truly need to be accessible to everyone? And if the answer is no, then where would these places exist?
As for me I am fortunate enough to have a beautiful camp in the heart of the Adirondack State Park in the Silver Lake Wilderness. Nothing motorized is allowed, not even a silent electric motor, so walking, snowshoeing, kayaking and canoeing is it. Now I know that’s not for everyone, but it is for me so I go there when I can to recharge and decompress. And as I am that blessed, I do not need to rely on the National Parks. But what of the simple tax-paying citizen who is not that fortunate, but also craves the same for he and his family? Should he not have the same opportunity as I? And again if we believe that to be reasonable, then where would this place exist if not in some of our wild National Parks?

Last edited:
Reactions: ColinF
That's not a comparable argument. Roads were designed and intended for vehicle use. National Parks were not designed or intended for drone use. A better comparison would be the prohibition on vehicles in wilderness. Is that overregulation?

How in the world were NPs not "designed or intended" for drones? What could they have done back in the 1800's to better "design" a park for drones? What did they 'leave out' back then?? How could they better design a NP now for drones? Just curious about your thoughts...

Very well articulated response. Thanks for the civility. Perhaps the solution is similar to that of "backwoods" verses campsite in the parks where there might be areas where drones would be permitted on a regular basis or perhaps we could Drone Wednesdays. I am sure a reasonably solution could be reached so that all would enjoy the beauty and splendor of the parks. They are, after all, for all of us to share and when Teddy Roosevelt started the national parks idea there were no jet skis or snowmobiles, yet we have adjusted to accommodate both. This should be no different.

The last time we were in Yellowstone we were at West Thumb near Grant Village. We were hiking to Riddle Lake when we heard a group of motorcyclists on Harleys (of course) come over the ridge just barely within sight to our NW. They came thru and headed for the South Entrance. Their noisy motorcycles could be heard from five (5) miles away at the top of the ridge (I looked at it on Google Earth) & I know they could be heard for at least another five miles as they went South past West Thumb. My point is why don't they ban Harleys if we want to keep the serenity of the parks? They are much, much noisier than drones! I also agree snowmobiles & jet skis should be banned. Think about the jet skis zooming around Yellowstone in the winter - how is that OK with the peace & quiet??? Just sayin' !!!

How in the world were NPs not "designed or intended" for drones? What could they have done back in the 1800's to better "design" a park for drones? What did they 'leave out' back then?? How could they better design a NP now for drones? Just curious about your thoughts...

I'm not sure how to answer that - they are obviously not comparable situations. Roads are specifically intended for vehicles, and so it would make no sense to ban vehicles. National Parks were not specifically intended for drone use. While that doesn't rule out the use of drones, it means that, along with many other activities not previously envisaged, it is quite possible that their use might be deemed undesirable, and there is nothing logically problematic with that.

The last time we were in Yellowstone we were at West Thumb near Grant Village. We were hiking to Riddle Lake when we heard a group of motorcyclists on Harleys (of course) come over the ridge just barely within sight to our NW. They came thru and headed for the South Entrance. Their noisy motorcycles could be heard from five (5) miles away at the top of the ridge (I looked at it on Google Earth) & I know they could be heard for at least another five miles as they went South past West Thumb. My point is why don't they ban Harleys if we want to keep the serenity of the parks? They are much, much noisier than drones! I also agree snowmobiles & jet skis should be banned. Think about the jet skis zooming around Yellowstone in the winter - how is that OK with the peace & quiet??? Just sayin' !!!
Right one ScubaBob and Drgnfl!

Guys and Gals, I hate that put too fine a point on it, but if anyone has fooled themselves into believing that this has anything to do with flying drones in a national park you are not paying attention. This thread has clearly evolved or devolved depending on how you see it, into a debate between concerned naturalist that feel like some things should remain unspoiled and (I apologize ahead of time) and the “I don’t care it’s all there for me to use.” What I think is also being unnoticed by the “pro-fly in the parks” folks is that there’s not a drone operator on either side of this debate that doesn’t share your enthusiasm and would give their right arm to fly in the parks and get the shots of a lifetime and fill their reels with the beautiful images. But some of us are happy even if we can’t have it all so as to assure that no one’s experience is diminished, and others simply don’t like to hear the word no. But, let’s put that aside as I have no need to anger anyone. Let’s say that a magic wand could be waved and we could all, thousands of us, fly invisible, silent cameras that don’t bother people or disrupt the natural setting. To what end? So that we could now all have the same shots of the same waterfalls and canyons until they are no longer precious or unique cause any idiot with no other qualifications other than owning a drone already has and has posted the same footage on YouTube? Imagine a world where every once-amazing and wide-eyed experience of watching a National Geographic show, became a yawnfest because you and everyone else on your couch could say “yea been there shot that”. It’s like everything thing else in this fading Republic of jaded citizens. We once got chills or a thrill of something simple. Those magical moments are just gone and we are not better for it. Everything that was once amazing and special like having enough food or being the first one on your block to get color tv becomes so commonplace and expected that if we can’t all have what everyone else has, our fragile sense of entitlement gets offended and we get indignant. And I am no better. I loved my iPhone 6 until the 8 came out. I got the 8 then the 10 came out. How sick is that when you get right down to it? But alas regretfully it is human nature and it is disappointing. I am embarrassed to admit that I too have lost the magic and wonder of many things over the years that I wish that I could get back. I would very much NOT like to add the Parks to that list.

Remember that many of the people that come to these parks might have had to save up for years to make this one week experience possible and they perhaps will never be able to come back. I can not imagine the prospect of possibly changing their experience to take a photo that will be no better than the one that I can buy in the gift shop.

I will close with the way I opened. This is not a debate over flying drones. It is about 2 conflicting ideologies regarding the sanctity of nature, the possible infringement on someone else’s experience, and how much is too much. It’s as simple as that.

As you can tell this is something that I am very passionate about so if I have come off too strongly or offended anyone, I apologize it was not my intention.

Last edited:
Hi RMB, first, really respect all your posts, but I am not sure I agree that it is about the two conflciting idealogies as you define them. I truly beleive I respect that sanctity of nature. If I fly my drone, create some spectacular cinematography, don't bother anyone, don't harrass or bother any wildlife, perhaps even do it in a remote section of a park where it is me by myself or me with my family, the video and pictures give me the opportunity to reflect back on that time that I spent with myself and my family for the rest of my maybe 30 years left on earth... and perhaps my children and grandchildren will be able to better recall and they will learn ferom my record about how beautiful the parks are from a perspective their father or grandfather was able to capture.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Hi RMB, first, really respect all your posts, but I am not sure I agree that it is about the two conflciting idealogies as you define them. I truly beleive I respect that sanctity of nature. If I fly my drone, create some spectacular cinematography, don't bother anyone, don't harrass or bother any wildlife, perhaps even do it in a remote section of a park where it is me by myself or me with my family, the video and pictures give me the opportunity to reflect back on that time that I spent with myself and my family for the rest of my maybe 30 years left on earth... and perhaps my children and grandchildren will be able to better recall and they will learn ferom my record about how beautiful the parks are from a perspective their father or grandfather was able to capture.
Fair enough ColinF. To be honest, the likes of you doing what you describe does not bother me. I just believe folks like you are in very short supply and separating the wheat from the chaff would be difficult or impossible by a faceless bureaucrat in some office somewhere. My dad always told me 2 things that have proven right for me over my 56 years. 1) "the majority is generally wrong" and 2) don't ever underestimate the ignorance of the general public however well-intentioned. And, being as though one of my personal observations over these many years has led me to ask "name me 3 things that the government manages well?" you can see where I get my opinion. Now I would certainly not expect everyone to subscribe to that relatively uncharitable view. But, as I do I guess that I tend to perhaps unfairly, go with ban the masses rather than trust them and, in the absence of that will never trust a bureaucrat to sort it out.

Anyway I wish you luck and hope that your media archives and memories will continue to grow over the many years!

Best, rmb.

Guys and Gals, I hate that put too fine a point on it, but if anyone has fooled themselves into believing that this has anything to do with flying drones in a national park you are not paying attention. This thread has clearly evolved or devolved depending on how you see it, into a debate between concerned naturalist that feel like some things should remain unspoiled and (I apologize ahead of time) and the “I don’t care it’s all there for me to use.” What I think is also being unnoticed by the “pro-fly in the parks” folks is that there’s not a drone operator on either side of this debate that doesn’t share your enthusiasm and would give their right arm to fly in the parks and get the shots of a lifetime and fill their reels with the beautiful images. But some of us are happy even if we can’t have it all so as to assure that no one’s experience is diminished, and others simply don’t like to hear the word no. But, let’s put that aside as I have no need to anger anyone. Let’s say that a magic wand could be waved and we could all, thousands of us, fly invisible, silent cameras that don’t bother people or disrupt the natural setting. To what end? So that we could now all have the same shots of the same waterfalls and canyons until they are no longer precious or unique cause any idiot with no other qualifications other than owning a drone already has and has posted the same footage on YouTube? Imagine a world where every once-amazing and wide-eyed experience of watching a National Geographic show, became a yawnfest because you and everyone else on your couch could say “yea been there shot that”. It’s like everything thing else in this fading Republic of jaded citizens. We once got chills or a thrill of something simple. Those magical moments are just gone and we are not better for it. Everything that was once amazing and special like having enough food or being the first one on your block to get color tv becomes so commonplace and expected that if we can’t all have what everyone else has, our fragile sense of entitlement gets offended and we get indignant. And I am no better. I loved my iPhone 6 until the 8 came out. I got the 8 then the 10 came out. How sick is that when you get right down to it? But alas regretfully it is human nature and it is disappointing. I am embarrassed to admit that I too have lost the magic and wonder of many things over the years that I wish that I could get back. I would very much NOT like to add the Parks to that list.

Remember that many of the people that come to these parks might have had to save up for years to make this one week experience possible and they perhaps will never be able to come back. I can not imagine the prospect of possibly changing their experience to take a photo that will be no better than the one that I can buy in the gift shop.

I will close with the way I opened. This is not a debate over flying drones. It is about 2 conflicting ideologies regarding the sanctity of nature, the possible infringement on someone else’s experience, and how much is too much. It’s as simple as that.

As you can tell this is something that I am very passionate about so if I have come off too strongly or offended anyone, I apologize it was not my intention.
NIce posting. This is not an easy topic to resolve but I appreciate your well -intended thoughts and perspective.

...This is not a debate over flying drones. It is about 2 conflicting ideologies regarding the sanctity of nature, the possible infringement on someone else’s experience, and how much is too much. It’s as simple as that...

I would like to reframe the issue as whether the federal government has the right to promulgate temporary emergency administrative regulations which become defacto permanent law throughout the country with no proper public comment, fact finding or hearing.

Reactions: Drgnfli and ColinF
I would like to reframe the issue as whether the federal government has the right to promulgate temporary emergency administrative regulations which become defacto permanent law throughout the country with no proper public comment, fact finding or hearing.

Yep, that absolutely is the other issue here.

Isnt the ban a little more than just drones? Last NP I was at, it was on ALL remote control vehicles. boats ,planes, drones, and cars /trucks.

Isnt the ban a little more than just drones? Last NP I was at, it was on ALL remote control vehicles. boats ,planes, drones, and cars /trucks.

The drone ban is specific to things that fly... quote from the memorandum..... “Unmanned aircraft” is defined as a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device. This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g., model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce.”

Not sure about things that don’t fly.

Link to NPS 2014 UAV Policy Memorandum:

To:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IMWOOD