DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlocked iPad mini4?

Longbow1

Reactions
I have no experience with trying to use an "unlocked" cellular device. Anyone here buy and use an "unlocked" iPad Mini with their Mavic? Recommendations? Warnings? Best cheap cell service to use with it after buying? Any suggestions/info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have no experience with trying to use an "unlocked" cellular device. Anyone here buy and use an "unlocked" iPad Mini with their Mavic? Recommendations? Warnings? Best cheap cell service to use with it after buying? Any suggestions/info would be appreciated. Thanks.
You do not need the cellular service to use it with your Mavic.

I thought you needed it in order to get the gps positioning?
You need the cellular model iPad but you do not actually need cellular service; the GPS uses the same antenna as the cellular modem so it is only enabled in the cellular models however you do not need a cellular provider, or to pay for cellular service.

Reactions: pixl
For less than $130 that Apple is charging for cellular/GPS model, you can get a Bluetooth GPS that makes WiFi model GPS-enabled. Of course, you'll have the inconvenience of having another device; on the other hand, this separate GPS can be used for other purposes, like hiking (e.g. to save phone's battery, since Bluetooth is much more efficient); some even have storage for logging; some even have a screen.

I thought you needed it in order to get the gps positioning?
You only need a mobile device with GPS if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off (in a case where you move away from the takeoff spot). If you're not going to use those features, then a Wi-Fi only Apple device would work just fine for you.

For less than $130 that Apple is charging for cellular/GPS model, you can get a Bluetooth GPS that makes WiFi model GPS-enabled. Of course, you'll have the inconvenience of having another device; on the other hand, this separate GPS can be used for other purposes, like hiking (e.g. to save phone's battery, since Bluetooth is much more efficient); some even have storage for logging; some even have a screen.

A Bluetooth GPS what?

My midi iPad has WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular and gps. I had the chip configured by AT&T and there is a small monthly charge, probably for cellular. I turn cellular off until I will fly. Not all mini’s have all these features. I specified all these features at time of purchase from the Apple store. Apple did not let them sell the mini. So I purchased it had it configured by AT&T. I’m no expert on this stuff so I listened to other say this is the best setup for UAS. I’m 83 what do you want from me. I grew up with no tv and dial phones.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Longbow1
Be sure you go to the Setup app and turn everything on. There are others on this site that are more technically qualified. Than I.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23