DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlocking Airspace Questions

jibbajabba

Reactions
Hey Folks

New drone flyer here. I have a background in aviation (both actual flight and rc aircraft). I just purchased a mini a couple weeks back and I have a couple of basic questions concerning US airspace.

1. What are the basic legal limitations of the mini concerning basic airspace outside of populated areas and away from airports. Basically, am I still Legally limited to under 400 feet in all areas if my mini is unregistered? And does that change if I get my 107 cert?

2. I work in an area that is just inside regulated airspace by a large airport. My mini won’t even take off. How would I go about unlocking it to be able to fly around my workplace under 100 feet? Do I just need to register something with DJI or do I need to get 107 for that?

3. If I do get 107, will my flights in open airspace be monitored or reported?

I just want to enjoy my mavic responsibly and safely.

Thanks for any and all answers :)

As a hobbyist flying for fun, your limit is 400feet AGL in uncontrolled airspace. You can't get waivers beyond that without 107, to my knowledge.

You can get automatic approvals through some Apps like AIRMAPS that will submit the request essentially electronically and get your clearence into some controlled airspace.

Your 107 cert and DJI do not talk, and even with your 107 you still have to ask to fly in that controlled airspace. Your drone should allow you to override, however would not be legal unless you get approval.

They have no way of monitoring or tracking your flight...........yet.

Happy flying

What are the basic legal limitations of the mini concerning basic airspace outside of populated areas and away from airports.
Populate or not makes no difference. The regulations simply state that you cannot fly over people. That applies to 1 person or a thousand. You cannot fly directly overhead of any person.

Proximity to airports does not matter. What matters is controlled airspace. You need to reference the FAA VFR sectional charts, FAA UAS facilities map, and NOTAMs and TFRs in order to ascertain ability to fly at any given location.

Basically, am I still Legally limited to under 400 feet in all areas if my mini is unregistered?
You can never exceed 400 feet AGL no matter where you are.

And does that change if I get my 107 cert?
No it does not change. The only difference is that under Part 107, you are allowed to fly up to 400 feet above any fixed structure as long as you are within 400 feet laterally of that structure. That is as long as there is no incursion into controlled airspace at that given altitude.

I work in an area that is just inside regulated airspace by a large airport. My mini won’t even take off. How would I go about unlocking it to be able to fly around my workplace under 100 feet? Do I just need to register something with DJI or do I need to get 107 for that?
Two separate items here. If it is controlled airspace, you must check the facilities map to see what the maximum allowable altitude would be WITH clearance. FAA authorization must be obtained to fly in controlled airspace. In most cases you can do that with LAANC. If you do not get clearance then do not fly there.

DJI unlock is completely separate from FAA authorization. Once you have FAA authorization apply for DJI unlock online or through the app.

Not unless some law enforcement authority ir specifically monitoring the area or you for some reason. There are systems (DJI Aeroscope for instance) that can report exactly where both the drone and pilot are.

Always a good start. Enjoy the hobby!

Hey Folks

New drone flyer here. I have a background in aviation (both actual flight and rc aircraft). I just purchased a mini a couple weeks back and I have a couple of basic questions concerning US airspace.

1. What are the basic legal limitations of the mini concerning basic airspace outside of populated areas and away from airports. Basically, am I still Legally limited to under 400 feet in all areas if my mini is unregistered? And does that change if I get my 107 cert?

2. I work in an area that is just inside regulated airspace by a large airport. My mini won’t even take off. How would I go about unlocking it to be able to fly around my workplace under 100 feet? Do I just need to register something with DJI or do I need to get 107 for that?

Thanks for any and all answers :)
Use Airmap, and stay out of airport areas.

Reactions: Cw4bray
No it does not change. The only difference is that under Part 107, you are allowed to fly up to 400 feet above any fixed structure as long as you are within 400 feet laterally of that structure. That is as long as there is no incursion into controlled airspace at that given altitude.

With the exception of Class E other than E2 - you can fly up to 400 ft above a structure even if it puts you into non-surface Class E.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa