DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlocking Authorization Zones

Blume TMS

Reactions
I am getting very frustrated with DJI's unlocking web site... I've finally managed to figure out how to navigate through the thing but now often when I try to get an unlock number texted to my phone it just won't work... either I don't get the text or the site says my phone number is invalid. I work and use my drone commercially in an area that is mostly authorization zones and there has to be a easier and better way.

Glad you brought this up as I had a terrible time getting my NFZ to work. Took forever with a lot of fiddling to finally get the messages & verification codes sorted out. It is annoying because you cannot do the setup & verification ahead of time but have to wait until you are on location to load it, get a SMS & verify with the correct code (when cellphone coverage is often poor).
DJI needs to fix this.

i had issues as well with my M1Ps. as i am not technical i downloaded No Limits Drones and use and older version of the software (downgradeable) and now have no issues. I mostly take off from my driveway and i am literally 50 yards inside a NFZ

I fly commercially as well with a M2P. In the go4 app there is an option to change to unlocking through the aircraft, not the app. It works much better.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I fly commercially as well with a M2P. In the go4 app there is an option to change to unlocking through the aircraft, not the app. It works much better.
I am familiar with the process of transferring an existing unlock license TO the aircraft, but how do you unlock through the aircraft?

I am getting very frustrated with DJI's unlocking web site... I've finally managed to figure out how to navigate through the thing but now often when I try to get an unlock number texted to my phone it just won't work... either I don't get the text or the site says my phone number is invalid. I work and use my drone commercially in an area that is mostly authorization zones and there has to be a easier and better way.

It's a hassle to say the least with DJI. It's a very good idea to have a non-DJI aircraft available for those times when the "system" doesn't work as planned.

I fly in your area often and we always have a Non-DJI in the car just in case and it's come in handy more than a couple of times.

Resurrecting this thread in hopes of more current advice.

I live in an authorization zone, a few kilometers from a rural airport. Unregulated airspace. I see near zero air traffic.

I've flown in my yard a dozen or so times in the last three months. When I first got the drone, I completed the website form, receiving an authorization code by text and clicking all the appropriate boxes on DJIFly. All good until now.

Today, DJIFly suddenly required me to input a new texted authorization number before it would fly. I did so, then I checked "agree" to all the boxes and DJIFly said "Unlock successful".

However the red "Authorization Zone" box remains displayed and I can't fly. I've made a half dozen attempts, rebooted both the drone and the controller, but no joy. I can't fly in my own yard.

Any ideas?

You may be putting the wrong number in for your drone.... It is the flight control number of the drone... At first I kept putting the wrong number in.... now I just have it in my computer to copy and past.

You may be putting the wrong number in for your drone.... It is the flight control number of the drone... At first I kept putting the wrong number in.... now I just have it in my computer to copy and past.
DJIFly asked me for an authorization number, which it sent by text. Six or eight digits, I think. The serial numbers for the drone and controller are much longer. There wasn't space on the form to enter them.

It accepted the authorization code it texted to me. The subsequent "unlock" feature reported success but didn't remove the red "authorization zone" box at top left - about where it usually says "takeoff permitted".

you have to go into the menu on your controller with the drone on and find the unlock code and send it to the drone. the controller also has to be connected to the internet. It is a pain..... the people that programed all this are idiots and it seems never have to do this....

Example... instead of having the unlock code number sent to your mobile phone as a text you can also choose to get a 'verbal massage'. I'm not making that up.

Also, I'm confused that you say you flew for months after you unlocked the drone... when I do this it only allows me to fly in the authorization zone for 3 days.

Reactions: 72evenant
you have to go into the menu on your controller with the drone on and find the unlock code and send it to the drone. the controller also has to be connected to the internet. It is a pain..... the people that programed all this are idiots and it seems never have to do this....

Example... instead of having the unlock code number sent to your mobile phone as a text you can also choose to get a 'verbal massage'. I'm not making that up.

Also, I'm confused that you say you flew for months after you unlocked the drone... when I do this it only allows me to fly in the authorization zone for 3 days.
OK, thanks, Blume. I'll look on the controller. By "menu", do you mean the "three dots" menu in DJI Fly?.

you can also choose to get a 'verbal massage'.
Yes, I saw that today with disbelief. :)

"The controller has to be connected to the Internet"
Does that mean the DJIFly app? It's connected to the Internet via the display phone, right? It sees WiFi Internet in my yard.

Also, I'm confused that you say you flew for months after you unlocked the drone...
I had to unlock it each day (flight) by ticking all the check boxes, but after I did that, it unlocked and worked fine.

This is a new situation just today.

I had to do this for the first time yesterday, I fly with a SIM enabled tablet and entered my cell phone number. It sent the six digit authorization code to my phone via text and I entered it into the app on my tablet and it let me fly.

My house and yard are just outside an authorization zone but in a runway flight path, I get a warning but only have to check a box to fly up to 60 meters in height. At my buddy's yard inside the authorization zone where I had to get the code, I can fly up to 120 meters. If I wander into the authorization zone which is only about 250 meters from my yard it does a forced landing on my drone. I just turn and fly back out of it and it lets me keep going.

His place is the upper "X" and mine is the lower left.
Screenshot (103)_LI.jpg

Reactions: pelagic_one
1st. Thank you guys for your threads on this subject , I picked up on some informative things i have to do to be successful in this matter.
One note on entering your phone # when filling out the unlocking application is to put a 1 in front of your ZIP code or you may have a issue with your #. Found that the hard way.
My experience was I got the application finally completed , and got the text message with the # sent to my iPhone at this point is whear my trouble started I could not figure and can not figure out how to get the # over to the smart controller . How do i make this happen ?? From what i picked up here is I need to go into the DJI fly app login make sure WiFi is on and the authorization # should transfer over By the WiFi connection automaticly . Is this the correct path you must take ?? Help!
I live in a authorization zone , I can't even start the motors in my living room let alone fly with out getting a # into my controller. if I get that done the rest I can work through and work out .

Thanks Chuck

The controller must have Internet access to accept the unlock code. It must also have access to the Internet for subsequent "authorization zone" unlocks. (see "expire", below)

When launching away from WiFi access (ie in my alfalfa field) I had to enable WiFi hotspot on my main phone to allow the second phone that's attached to the controller to see Internet and receive unlock authorization.

Note that this code isn't the same as the texted code that DJI sends (and you have to reply to) in order to reassure themselves that you're you and not some imposter.

[rant]
All of these complex, arcane and disruptive operations are in place for someone, somewhere to indemnify themselves against possible infractions on a map whose boundaries are apparently arbitrarily drawn. My federal government's "authorization zone" is far smaller than DJI's and doesn't include my residence.

Inexplicably, "Unlocks" expire. You get 48 hrs, I believe, then you have to jump through all the hoops again. Most annoying. Does DJI think my good behaviour expires after 48 hours?
[rant off]

I recently took my drone away from my residence for the first time. Immediately Seeing "Takeoff Permitted" on the controller felt like I'd been let out of jail.

The controller must have Internet access to accept the unlock code. It must also have access to the Internet for subsequent "authorization zone" unlocks. (see "expire", below)

When launching away from WiFi access (ie in my alfalfa field) I had to enable WiFi hotspot on my main phone to allow the second phone that's attached to the controller to see Internet and receive unlock authorization.

Note that this code isn't the same as the texted code that DJI sends (and you have to reply to) in order to reassure themselves that you're you and not some imposter.

[rant]
All of these complex, arcane and disruptive operations are in place for someone, somewhere to indemnify themselves against possible infractions on a map whose boundaries are apparently arbitrarily drawn. My federal government's "authorization zone" is far smaller than DJI's and doesn't include my residence.

Inexplicably, "Unlocks" expire. You get 48 hrs, I believe, then you have to jump through all the hoops again. Most annoying. Does DJI think my good behaviour expires after 48 hours?
[rant off]

I recently took my drone away from my residence for the first time. Immediately Seeing "Takeoff Permitted" on the controller felt like I'd been let out of jail.
Thanks Lester Had Hot spots turned on in the iPhone . The Address # of hot spots is in the controller, I didn't know how to get the Smart controller connected to the internet , My bad, I'am thinking it's done through the DJI fly app correct ? If i get this through my thick head I can get up and flying.

If you're using the Smart Controller and not the regular Mini 2 controller, I can't offer any assistance. If you're using the Mini 2 controller, it communicates with the Internet via whatever device you have plugged into it via the supplied cable.

If a pilot is using his phone to fly and gets a text, it sort of defeats the whole thing about other tasks affecting the Apps performance.

Reactions: Thomas B
I had to do this for the first time yesterday, I fly with a SIM enabled tablet and entered my cell phone number. It sent the six digit authorization code to my phone via text and I entered it into the app on my tablet and it let me fly.

My house and yard are just outside an authorization zone but in a runway flight path, I get a warning but only have to check a box to fly up to 60 meters in height. At my buddy's yard inside the authorization zone where I had to get the code, I can fly up to 120 meters. If I wander into the authorization zone which is only about 250 meters from my yard it does a forced landing on my drone. I just turn and fly back out of it and it lets me keep going.

His place is the upper "X" and mine is the lower left.
View attachment 121725
Interesting thanks for sharing! - Mike

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman