DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to unlock near airport

Jungle Media

Reactions
I had a shoot today at an uncontrolled airport with Class E airspace at 1200 ft. Before the flight I logged into the Air Control Ap on my phone to request a clearance. The AP told me it couldn't supply an authorization because none was needed... uncontrolled airspace. So, I showed up for the shoot and the drone would not take off... message was that I Was in an authorization area and I was not unlocked. Tried filling around a bit with logging into a local wifi and requesting the unlock... not able to make it happen. I am confused... I thought if Air Control and/or B4Ufly showed no restriction, you didn't need to worry about unlocking. Any pointers?

I had a shoot today at an uncontrolled airport with Class E airspace at 1200 ft. Before the flight I logged into the Air Control Ap on my phone to request a clearance. The AP told me it couldn't supply an authorization because none was needed... uncontrolled airspace. So, I showed up for the shoot and the drone would not take off... message was that I Was in an authorization area and I was not unlocked. Tried filling around a bit with logging into a local wifi and requesting the unlock... not able to make it happen. I am confused... I thought if Air Control and/or B4Ufly showed no restriction, you didn't need to worry about unlocking. Any pointers?
You just learned a valuable lesson about DJI products.

Flysafe restrictions are not equivalent to the FAA restrictions. They created a separate non-aligned system to protect their brand that does not compare to the UAS map.

Air Control and/or B4Ufly showed no restriction, you didn't need to worry about unlocking.
DJI is an entity all of its own. I always look at their Fly Safe website before leaving. I also carry Autel's Evo Lite Plus with me just in case

DJI is an entity all of its own. I always look at their Fly Safe website before leaving. I also carry Autel's Evo Lite Plus with me just in case

That's how you do it :)

I have used Fly Safe to unlock many times in the past, but I always had the approval from ALOFT to show for my proof. Since I had no proof of authorization, it wouldn't let me unlock. How do you tell it to unlock without any proof of authorization from FAA?

You might try a custom unlock through DJI if you intend to fly there often. I'm, not familiar with the procedure but I'm sure someone on here can fill you in on how to accomplish it.

I have used Fly Safe to unlock many times in the past, but I always had the approval from ALOFT to show for my proof. Since I had no proof of authorization, it wouldn't let me unlock. How do you tell it to unlock without any proof of authorization from FAA?
Here is what you might try. Get an FAA airspace sectional map. (I can’t remember the technical name,). Take a photo of the sector you want to fly in. Attach that to your unlock request. My guess is you will get approved. DJI wants to make sure you have done your homework and have proof.

Reactions: EricOwen
Here is what you might try. Get an FAA airspace sectional map. (I can’t remember the technical name,). Take a photo of the sector you want to fly in. Attach that to your unlock request. My guess is you will get approved. DJI wants to make sure you have done your homework and have proof.
You can download the sectional charts from the FAA website.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
I would upload a txt file with the details you mentioned above. I suspect they would approve it pretty quickly.

What airport?

I'd like to compare DJI's restrictions to the FAA's. I haven't run into the problem yet, and would like to be prepared to deal with it.
This has happened to me several times. It's usually the opposite where dji won't let me fly in an area where the FAA says it's OK.

You can take a screen shoot from Skyvector.com and attach that. The current chart I looked at for Florida is valid from November 20,2023 to January 25,2024 which is current.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne