DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlocking the Huawei Ascend XT2 Wunderphone

Just checked and it says you need to bring an unlocked phone to use their service. The Xt2 is locked to ATT currently. How do you get around this please?

Unfortunately you have to purchase the unlocking code from one of the services that does it. Prices range from 20 to 40 bucks generally.
I used to place called "The unlocking company".
They got me the code in about a week.

[...] what is the difference between unlocking and rooting please.
Unlocking: when the phone is locked, you can use only a specific provider. An unlocked phone is also call SIMfree: you can use any available provider.
It is actually the bootloader that is locked (not the phone).

Rooting: give you full access to your mobile system (like administrator right in Windows). It allows you to remove all app that are pre-installed (usually called bloatware) as well as system app.
You can also install apps that requires higher than usual level of control over the phone (eg: app to stop charging the phone when plugged into the remote USB post).

You will find more precise info if you google for Unlocking or Rooting + your phone model.

I have been an iPhone guy but did buy the XT2 when it was at that great price of $49, just to fly with. I am new to Android and wondering what is the difference between unlocking and rooting please. Also where can I find out when it will be able to unlock this phone. Thanks in advance for any and all info.
If you are planning to only use the phone "to fly with" and do not plan to activate it with cellular service, then you have no need to get the device "unlocked" which merely allows the device to be used on a carrier different from the one to which is is locked. (In this case, it is locked to AT&T.)

If you are planning to only use the phone "to fly with" and do not plan to activate it with cellular service, then you have no need to get the device "unlocked" which merely allows the device to be used on a carrier different from the one to which is is locked. (In this case, it is locked to AT&T.)

Mostly true. I own three of these phones (dedicated for Spark, MP and Inspire 1 V2 / Osmo white X3, cleaned out, Go 4.1.1.5, offline maps, airplane mode, etc.) and would love to root the things and d/c the USB charging from the RC. Yeah, I'm a control freak, and I want to dictate when and where to charge my S#@t.

Anyone have news on rooting?

Actually all true.... I'll never activate one with cell service......

Sounds like another Chinese company we know. I have both the XT2 and Honor 6X. Neither has a SIM card, never been activated and used only in airplane mode. I have no personal data on either one, so I am not concerned.
I bought the XT2 a month ago, but haven't even opened it. I hate to sound stupid, but how do I load the DJI app without activating the phone. Forgive my ignorance. When I was a kid, phones had cords and were stuck to a wall. And party lines! Don't ask.

I bought the XT2 a month ago, but haven't even opened it. I hate to sound stupid, but how do I load the DJI app without activating the phone. Forgive my ignorance. When I was a kid, phones had cords and were stuck to a wall. And party lines! Don't ask.

Simply connect your phone to internet via Wifi. Then open Google Play and look for DJI Go 4.
This will give you access/install to the latest version.

If you would like an older version of DJI Go 4, it's a bit more complicated so if you are not tech oriented, follow above suggestion.

Simply connect your phone to internet via Wifi. Then open Google Play and look for DJI Go 4.
This will give you access/install to the latest version.

If you would like an older version of DJI Go 4, it's a bit more complicated so if you are not tech oriented, follow above suggestion.

Thanks. That should have been obvious. I'll go the simple route first. Luckily I have tech savvy kids, so if I have to go deeper, I will lean on them.

I've been working with an unlocking supplier for a long time, and I asked about this Huawei Ascend XT2, but they said is not supported yet. So I tried with a different service name and we have unlocked 3 units so far. These unlock codes will work just if when you insert a different SIM card asks for a NCK code. If the phone does not prompt for that code, unlock codes won't work.

Last edited:
$34 to get the phone unlocked still is bargain.

I have not tried with the Elate 4G, but I think should work since it's the same phone, but different color and network name.

Yesterday, we unlocked the first Wunderphone for someone in this forum. You can ask Cymruflyer about that and how was the unlock process.

If you need more info about this, just let us know.

Happy Flying guys!!

Yes, I unlocked mine yesterday after waiting on the code just a bit over 24 hours. Now I can use my T-Mobile service with it, plus use it in Europe later this coming summer. Thanks to Vinhidalgo for the unlock code, I think the $34 was worth it when the phone just cost me $49.99. Now it is a good phone and I'll remove the SIM to fly with it.

What's so special about this phone related to our hobby ? Is the screen really bright or something ?

What's so special about this phone related to our hobby ? Is the screen really bright or something ?

Well first off, yes it does have one of the brightest screens, compared with other Android phones and of course it is much, much lower priced than all other equivalent phones and the superb battery seems to last and last. Plus there has been problems using Android phones with DJI drones, compared with the stability of use with the iPhone, and this particular phone has proven to be extremely stable with the DJI app, causing virtually no problems or shutdowns, when compared to other Androids. So all in all, it seems to be the perfect match for flying anything DJI that requires a phone attachment to a controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: vinhidalgo
Well, Really Good construction, metal back, feels solid. Nice finish. The screen is really bright and sharp. Battery lasts several days. MicroSD port, really good technical specs... and for that price? I love Apple stuff but now, I have a cheap but powerful dedicated device to fly with.

Is not like having two iPhone X, one for the drone and one as for personal use. I now prefer to use my iPhone X as my personal device, and this Wunderphone as a Big Screen drone device. The only thing I missed when flying with it, is the iOS software, but getting used to deal with Android.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S