DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unrestricted area - Savannah Georgia

jferg007

Reactions
Hey everyone, I’m relatively new pilot and on my previous flights I have used LAANC to approve and fly.

I am from Florida. I just recently drove up to Savannah Georgia and went to the river walk where it was a unrestricted zone but wouldn’t allow me to get LAANC approval. I haven’t had that happened yet, I assumed because I wasn’t in a restricted area. Can we only fly up to 400ft AGL, what if I wanted to fly higher ?

Thanks in advance

• Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
You probably couldn't get approval because you don't need it in an unrestricted area.

So far as the 400 ft. limit, have you taken and passed the TRUST exam that is now mandatory for all drone pilots? If not, you should. Plenty of links on this forum about this free course and free test.

That being said, below is a link to a very good explanation from The Pilot Institute. They are well know on this forum and one of the organizations that offers/administers the TRUST exam.

As you will see in their write up, as a recreational pilot, you are limited to 400 ft. AGL, no ifs, ands, or buts. A Part 107 licensed drone pilot can fly higher if within 400 ft. of a structure.

You probably couldn't get approval because you don't need it in an unrestricted area.

So far as the 400 ft. limit, have you taken and passed the TRUST exam that is now mandatory for all drone pilots? If not, you should. Plenty of links on this forum about this free course and free test.

That being said, below is a link to a very good explanation from The Pilot Institute. They are well know on this forum and one of the organizations that offers/administers the TRUST exam.

As you will see in their write up, as a recreational pilot, you are limited to 400 ft. AGL, no ifs, ands, or buts. A Part 107 licensed drone pilot can fly higher if within 400 ft. of a structure.
Thank you for the detailed response, appreciate it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky