DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update Home Point

If home point Is reset, say to drone location do the AGL and distance limits begin to be tracked from that point? A flying drone could easily get a much higher RTH altitude in such an event. Also, would be nice if home point could track a moving controller.

If you reset the homepoint, the new homepoint is the ground below the drone. Your distance changes to the new homepoint (so should be 0 in your example - although not sure I ever checked that. I did see it change when using the map). Altitude is displayed as AGL above the original takeoff point, as the drone doesn't know where the ground is below it.

Some of the previous DJI drones did have dynamic home point where you could set it to always be where the controller was. That seems to be a feature they are no longer using, as none of the newest consumer drones have it.

This is a very interesting thread for me. I'm still undecided as to how to set the home point for hiking with active track. I had it disconnect once and it returned the the lauch point which was a distance away. Once in Mexico I launched under trees..(huge mistake) then lost sight of my drone and didn't recognize any terrain feature and was afraid to return manually directly to me because of terrain and I think the AIR 1 can only be changed to drone position..(unknown) ..etc..plus it was bright sun and I couldn't see my phone well..I finally spotted a landmark feature that I could see but you get the picture... I was sweating bullets.. I've been setting it to hover for active track if there is a disconnect, and it does default back home point if you forget to reset it for the next T/O. but that might not be the perfect solution..any one do it differently? any ideas ?

Oh, I dunno then :(
On Android, you can have have all the location services enabled, but individual apps can then have access to those services flipped on or off. I don't know if iOS has something similar, I've never owned an Apple device. Hopefully you can get it sorted!

Ok, I just figured it out. You were right, I didn't see that in the iPad settings, each of the apps GPS location services could be turned on or off individually. The DJI fly app was turn off. Glad I was able to fix it. Thanks for the help!

Jeremy

Reactions: jowlymonster
On my Mavic Mini I can choose if I was the home point to update to the location of the drones position or the controller/phone position.

I am confused about this at the same time concerned.

So on a Mini, if you update the homepoint, will it be the drone's position OR the controller/phone's position?

If you can choose, how do you choose as I do not see any button for this choice on the controls.

I will be concerned if I "accidentally" changed the homepoint to the Mini's position and not the controller/phone's position.

If the new homepoint was far off and the Mini's battery is low, it will hover then land in an area that may not be accessible to you. Worse, if this was a body of water.

I am confused about this at the same time concerned.

So on a Mini, if you update the homepoint, will it be the drone's position OR the controller/phone's position?

If you can choose, how do you choose as I do not see any button for this choice on the controls.

I will be concerned if I "accidentally" changed the homepoint to the Mini's position and not the controller/phone's position.

If the new homepoint was far off and the Mini's battery is low, it will hover then land in an area that may not be accessible to you. Worse, if this was a body of water.

When you select "update home point" you will see the map, and on the right side should be two icons. One that looks like and arrow (that represents the drone) and one that looks like a controller (that represents, well, the controller). Select which one you want (I think the drone is selected by default) and hit "OK". You can also scroll the map to move the homepoint.

And yes, if you set it to the drone's location, and that locations is not appropriate the things you mention could happen. You can always see the homepoint on the map, so if you are not sure where it is, look at the map and check and make sure it is where you want it and if it is not, move it. There is no reason for the homepoint to be a "Bad" location other than the user didn't check.

When you select "update home point" you will see the map, and on the right side should be two icons. One that looks like and arrow (that represents the drone) and one that looks like a controller (that represents, well, the controller). Select which one you want (I think the drone is selected by default) and hit "OK". You can also scroll the map to move the homepoint.

And yes, if you set it to the drone's location, and that locations is not appropriate the things you mention could happen. You can always see the homepoint on the map, so if you are not sure where it is, look at the map and check and make sure it is where you want it and if it is not, move it. There is no reason for the homepoint to be a "Bad" location other than the user didn't check.

So to do this, I have to expand the map view to the whole screen and minimize the camera view? Is my understanding correct?

Reactions: Horace and Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu