DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update on FT Aviator - Shipping Date Information

Does it really cost $400+ were I to order one today? Yes, $449.99
Yep.. That's been the advertised retail price once product started shipping for some time. It is billed as a professional level product. Pre-orders were substantially lower ($299). Mine arrives 3rd week of July.

I applaud the new tech for a RC. Nice to see someone moving away from the analog stick designs that are what, 50years old now?

But for me the fact that you have to tether the original RC to the FT eliminates any of the benefit of a streamlined, ergonomic experience.

I hope the unit is awesome. But I went for the Mavic system of drones for their portability. This is a step backwards in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: parkgt
I applaud the new tech for a RC. Nice to see someone moving away from the analog stick designs that are what, 50years old now?

But for me the fact that you have to tether the original RC to the FT eliminates any of the benefit of a streamlined, ergonomic experience.

I hope the unit is awesome. But I went for the Mavic system of drones for their portability. This is a step backwards in that regard.
Yeah that's definitely the biggest drawback. The idea is you hang the remote on a lanyard around your neck. Definitely a bit awkward, but hopefully not enough to really matter. They've mentioned an intent to someday hopefully work with DJI to combine the two together, which would be terrific. I figured their success now will help make that future possible, so I bought one.

Does the RC still have active inputs while the FT is connected? If you move a stick does the drone respond?

Does the RC still have active inputs while the FT is connected? If you move a stick does the drone respond?
Hopefully someone else can answer... I get mine between the 26th and 29th. I'm curious about that myself.

Hopefully someone else can answer... I get mine between the 26th and 29th. I'm curious about that myself.
When you see the interface there is an icon for the FT stick and the DJI tx. Next to it. Only one can be active at a time, so you can switch by toggling the icon you prefer. The change is immediate and there is no lapse in control.

Jake

Reactions: TheWolfen
Could this be used with the smart controller, I see it has a phone mount attachment to view the camera feed, is there a mount to mount it to the SC so you can see the screen, not looking for tripod ideas.

When you see the interface there is an icon for the FT stick and the DJI tx. Next to it. Only one can be active at a time, so you can switch by toggling the icon you prefer. The change is immediate and there is no lapse in control.

Jake
I was just looking through the manual earlier today and noticed that. Thanks!!

Reactions: lightbg
Just watched 2 video reviews published yesterday (ken heron & ready set drone). Seems like the FT is a step in the right direction but significant issues to be worked out for mass adoption. I hope they are able to continue to fund the product and make improvements.

The tethering to your controller for me is a non starter. Plus the bugs and lagginess need to be ironed out.

Any new user thoughts on the controller now that some of you have had it for a week or two?

Any new user thoughts on the controller now that some of you have had it for a week or two?
Fluidity Tech just offered another software update. It solved a problem with Mavic Pro 1 owners that couldn’t land using thumb pressure alone - we actually had to disconnect the controller and land with the DJI tx. I have since reactivated my downward sensors and have no issues touching down.

I also updated my groundstation with an iPad mini 5. No dropouts, connectivity problems, way brighter than the 4 it replaced, and a more reassuring flight experience.

It’s all good.

Jake

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50