DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

update on recent mod to front arms of MM

what you need to remember ,is that once you have the foam out then the stiffener has to fit inside the arm in its place, so tape would not allow it to slide ,and you would need to make sure that the foam came out intact if you wished to replace it ,a thin film of silicone would probably be best as it should peel off when the stiffener is removed, if being worried about care refresh is a problem then maybe it would be better not to do it till it has expired

Last edited:
Nice example of applied mechanical engineering! The stock shape is an open "U"-profile, which has hardly any torsional rigidity. By supergluing a structural load carrying backside to the legs, you created a torsionbox with dramatic increase of torsion stiffness... awesome!
or to put it another way a box beam

Reactions: JoostGT3 and WooZie
Could the factory foam be replaced with balsa wood square beam shaped to fit or would that not be stiff enough ?

how to glue a wooden square? a plastic square is easily glued than the wood, i think so, but is not a bad idea, the plastic could be 3d printed, but the wood is hard to design it

Reactions: old man mavic
Could the factory foam be replaced with balsa wood square beam shaped to fit or would that not be stiff enough ?
see no reason why not ,its just a matter of making it a box beam

Reactions: WooZie
Just a thought as balsa is very easy to shave and sand into shape with hand tools and can then maybe sprayed with wood hardener spray to make it more rigid maybe

Before I attack my mini how hard are the foams to get out in one piece ?

how to glue a wooden square? a plastic square is easily glued than the wood, i think so, but is not a bad idea, the plastic could be 3d printed, but the wood is hard to design it
it actually would need to be hollowed out on the inside edge to accommodate the wires that run inside

it is simply to pull out, they are only glued on the arm, maybe with a cutter you will do it easily
these are not my pictures, but from the internet :)

Attachments

• IMG_6561.JPG
    IMG_6561.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4733.JPG
    IMG_4733.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 165
Just a thought as balsa is very easy to shave and sand into shape with hand tools and can then maybe sprayed with wood hardener spray to make it more rigid maybe

very easy to remove but be careful of the motor and antenna wires that run in side ,one of the reasons for my mod, was it allowed me to leave the foam in place and just stick my stiffener to the edge of the arm i used super glue in small amounts around the the edge and it does not add much weight to the drone

Dear omm, you added some weight, but i will replace a light weight with a bigger one :)))
i think that plastic does not have much more weight than that foam, just a little bit more

Last edited:
the weight i added was so small as to not make any difference to the MM, i added more weight with the landing gear and gimbal cover my MM is registered anyway so the extra few grams is not an issue for me

Another possible way to stiffen the arms, without any need to modify the original structure, would take advantage of the unique mechanical properties of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (or UHMW-PE for short). It has exceptional mechanical strength to impact and stretching, even in relatively thin films and filaments (UHMW fibers are used to make Spectra and Dyneema rope).

UHMW tape is available on Amazon in various widths and thicknesses. It's a milky clear, so blends in reasonably well. A thickness of .005" or .006" would be good in this application (thicker starts getting too stiff to make nice right angle bends in the tape). Apply the tape lengthwise on the bottom of the channel, squeezing the channel sides together slightly and folding the edges of the tape up and onto the sides of the arm. The acrylic adhesive should adhere well, but is removable if needed prior to warranty repair etc. The UHMW should work in this application, as it would behave much like the diagonal drag wires in a fabric covered airplane wing, which give fore and aft rigidity to what would otherwise be a relatively flimsy bunch of rectangles formed by ribs and spars etc.

Left over tape is useful for all manner of anti-chafe uses, surfaces that rub, etc. as the material is more abrasion resistant than most steels, yet almost as slippery as Teflon.

Another possible way to stiffen the arms, without any need to modify the original structure, would take advantage of the unique mechanical properties of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (or UHMW-PE for short). It has exceptional mechanical strength to impact and stretching, even in relatively thin films and filaments (UHMW fibers are used to make Spectra and Dyneema rope).

UHMW tape is available on Amazon in various widths and thicknesses. It's a milky clear, so blends in reasonably well. A thickness of .005" or .006" would be good in this application (thicker starts getting too stiff to make nice right angle bends in the tape). Apply the tape lengthwise on the bottom of the channel, squeezing the channel sides together slightly and folding the edges of the tape up and onto the sides of the arm. The acrylic adhesive should adhere well, but is removable if needed prior to warranty repair etc. The UHMW should work in this application, as it would behave much like the diagonal drag wires in a fabric covered airplane wing, which give fore and aft rigidity to what would otherwise be a relatively flimsy bunch of rectangles formed by ribs and spars etc.

Left over tape is useful for all manner of anti-chafe uses, surfaces that rub, etc. as the material is more abrasion resistant than most steels, yet almost as slippery as Teflon.
Ordered ?

Any chance of seeing a close-up photo of the mod?
I'm a bit confusticated... is the mod piece inside the arm... on top ...underneath?

[my blades are not "knocking" (...yet)]
not sure if you mean my mod i used flat pieces of card cut to shape then just used superglue to attach them to the back of the arms then when they were dry i used a smallfile for final shaping i did not have to remove the foam packing inside the arm hope this helps

I wonder if this softness flexing with the arms is anything to do with the wind thing that has downed so many minis, if the arms flex that much it could upset the flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman