DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updated mavic mini firmware Dec. 5th, now controller and drone won't pair

srhare

Reactions
Arggh, I had a terrible day. On Friday, I completed the firmware upgrade for the Mavic Mini and Controller (to 1.00.0300) and shut things down and packed my drone away for an adventure today. I got to the place I wanted to launch the drone ... and the controller and drone would not pair. I have flown the MIni a dozen times, but this time it would not work. Every other time, the controller saw the the drorne, DJI Fly booted up and everything was great. But not now. The app sees the controller just fine, but the controller cannot pair with the drone. I follow the directions to try and make them pair (press the power button for four seconds until you hear the pairing beep, press Pair on the app), but after seconds of searching, no connection. Has anyone else had this issue since the firmware upgrade. This was jsut so awful, andeven now back home I cannot get the controller and drone to see each other. Any suggestions?

thanks
Steven (previous of two Sparks and loving my new Mini ... until today)

I had this happen to me right the day after I upgraded to 300 as well - I disconnected the USB cable from the controller and my phone, restarted the app, then reconnected the cable firmly and it seemed to work; even though I swear the cable was in tight enough the first time.

Reactions: Michael Sevens
I had this happen to me right the day after I upgraded to 300 as well - I disconnected the USB cable from the controller and my phone, restarted the app, then reconnected the cable firmly and it seemed to work; even though I swear the cable was in tight enough the first time.
Ah, if only the solution had been that simple. I tried, (as before), rebooting and disconnecting everything, etc. Several times ... as in the definition of insanity ... expecting something different to happen one time .... but still the controller and drone are not on speaking terms.

Reactions: Michael Sevens
That's not a pairing problem though, that's an RC to app connection problem. You don't even need the mobile device in order for the AC to connect to the RC, or even to pair them.

Ah, if only the solution had been that simple. I tried, (as before), rebooting and disconnecting everything, etc. Several times ... as in the definition of insanity ... expecting something different to happen one time .... but still the controller and drone are not on speaking terms.
Instead of initiating pairing from the app, have you tried pressing the RC power button until it beeps, then do same for AC?
When I tested the pairing, the AC wouldn't go into pairing mode on first attempt. I had to wait a few seconds, then hold the button again.

Instead of initiating pairing from the app, have you tried pressing the RC power button until it beeps, then do same for AC?
When I tested the pairing, the AC wouldn't go into pairing mode on first attempt. I had to wait a few seconds, then hold the button again.

My experience on fw upgrade was similar...but I upgraded from .0100 to .0200, rebooted then immediately upgraded to .0300.

First pairing attempt between RC and MM failed using the app, so I did it manually with the buttons on the drone and the RC, then connected the app and all was fine.

Note: Per the MM manual you have to have the RC and aircraft in close proximity (within 0.5m...approximately 19 inches) to link them.

With other DJI products I have (Spark, MP1, M2E) I could be much farther away and link them successfully.

Also note the app can only tell the RC to go into pairing mode. If the RC and AC are not linked, there's no way for the app to communicate with the AC to you have to use the AC power button.

So, still no progress. I tried pairing without using the app. I powered on the drone and the RC. On both, I pressed the power button for about 4 seconds until I got the pairing beep for each. The two units are sitting side by side, within 2 cm of each other. The only thing that happens is that the RC beeps for 60 seconds, then stops (when I was trying with the app, the RC would beep for 60 seconds, then I'd get an error message from the app). I reiterate, that all was fine until the update - I flew the drone a dozen times and it connected upon bootup immediately. The firmware update of both the drone and the RC is what caused this, I got a successful update message from the app that all had gone well. The app, when I enter "Camera" mode (as it won't Connect with the drone) tells me it is version 0300. And the drone should be, since I got a successful upgrade note last week. I am at a loss what to do/try next. I did install DJI Fly on another phone and tried to make things work via app that way, but same result.

Note that I live in the South Pacific, and ordered my drone via Amazon to have it delivered here. Shipping it back to DJI (or wherever) is no small deal and it would be weeks sending it, getting one back (I did pay for the Care package).

Any other suggestions? DJI reps, are you monitoring?

thanks
Steven

DJI reps aren't here. You'll want to go on DJI's own forum which does have DJI employees moderating.

Well, somewhat mysteriously my Mini and RC now communicate once again, and I thought I'd explain what I did .. even though (to me) it makes absolutely no sense.

I was unable for several days to get the AC and RC to pair. I was online with DJI support and their conclusion was ... send it in. The final straw was when I plugged the drone in to my computer and try to use DJI Assistant 2 and I always got the error message "USB device not recognized ..."

The morning before boxing it up, I thought I'd try one last time. Now, I had removed the SD card to copy some stuff off it and forgot to put it back in the Mini. I powered up the drone and then pressed the power button for 4 seconds to put it in pairing mode, then turned on the controller (without my phone connected or the DJI fly app running). Within about 3 seconds, I noticed that the bank of four lights on the controller had stopped flashing and were solidly lit (side note, I WAY prefer the Spark green light/red light system to indicate connected). I quickly plugged in my phone, booted up the app and voila! the phone screen showed what the drone camera was pointed at. I next grabbed the SD card, plugged it in and immediately the AC/RC connection was lost. Hmm, I figured I must have done something inadvertent so I repeated exactly the same sequence ... got the AC and RC connected, plugged in the card and pffft, connection lost.

So, I reformatted the card, tried again and everything since has been just as it should be,

the only piece of evidence that tells me it might conceivably have been the card that was at fault was the error message from the computer that the USB device wasn't recognized, assuming it was trying to read the card (which was still always readable directly by the computer outside of being inserted in the drone). This particular card was in the drone when I did the firmware update .. and I should note that I commonly removed this card to copy other files to it that were drone-video related, etc.

So ... now I have a workable drone but a lingering sense of doubt that a SD card could somehow prevent the AC and RC pairing.

cheers
Steven

(ps - I'll post this over at DJI forum as well just in case anyone else has a firmware update-related issue)

Reactions: StandUpTraveller
Well, somewhat mysteriously my Mini and RC now communicate once again, and I thought I'd explain what I did .. even though (to me) it makes absolutely no sense.

I was unable for several days to get the AC and RC to pair. I was online with DJI support and their conclusion was ... send it in. The final straw was when I plugged the drone in to my computer and try to use DJI Assistant 2 and I always got the error message "USB device not recognized ..."

The morning before boxing it up, I thought I'd try one last time. Now, I had removed the SD card to copy some stuff off it and forgot to put it back in the Mini. I powered up the drone and then pressed the power button for 4 seconds to put it in pairing mode, then turned on the controller (without my phone connected or the DJI fly app running). Within about 3 seconds, I noticed that the bank of four lights on the controller had stopped flashing and were solidly lit (side note, I WAY prefer the Spark green light/red light system to indicate connected). I quickly plugged in my phone, booted up the app and voila! the phone screen showed what the drone camera was pointed at. I next grabbed the SD card, plugged it in and immediately the AC/RC connection was lost. Hmm, I figured I must have done something inadvertent so I repeated exactly the same sequence ... got the AC and RC connected, plugged in the card and pffft, connection lost.

So, I reformatted the card, tried again and everything since has been just as it should be,

the only piece of evidence that tells me it might conceivably have been the card that was at fault was the error message from the computer that the USB device wasn't recognized, assuming it was trying to read the card (which was still always readable directly by the computer outside of being inserted in the drone). This particular card was in the drone when I did the firmware update .. and I should note that I commonly removed this card to copy other files to it that were drone-video related, etc.

So ... now I have a workable drone but a lingering sense of doubt that a SD card could somehow prevent the AC and RC pairing.

cheers
Steven

(ps - I'll post this over at DJI forum as well just in case anyone else has a firmware update-related issue)
A bit of mystery.... Glad you’re back in the air!

I have a theory:
The SD card does contain what looks like log files. They could also contain updateable configuration information that the AC reads. Could be the firmware changed the way the data is formatted and couldn't deal with the existing data.

Since the data on the SD couldn't be properly read or interpreted, the AC could not fully complete initialization to where the radio or USB functions would be enabled.

There have been a few reporting not getting an RC/AC connection right out of the box. SD card issue may be something for them to look into.

cheers
Steven

Many thanks as this post was exactly the issue I was having & removing the SD card resolved the issue immediately & made me smile again rather than the ongoing frustration I had been fighting the past week .

Reactions: Thomas B
I just helped a friend who was having a similar problem and we got it fixed by clearing the cache and starting over. He was switching over to a new phone. I think the card or the cache or maybe both retained some info not compatible with a previous phone he was trying to use. Perhaps the same incompatibility can happen when something gets updated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS