DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updating Firmware for the FIRST time ... any tips/words of wisdom?

billem16

Reactions
I have never updated my firmware since I got my Mavic Pro 1.5 years ago. I've had no issues so therefore I just never bothered updating, I know that's probably not recommended. Anyways, now I am going to update. Is there any words of wisdom? I just downloaded the DJI Assistant 2, and am now charging my RC and drone as I read they need to be > 50%. Are there any special tips I should know? Tests to run after updating? Obviously I want to make sure the drone flies as usual, and doesn't spaz out mid flight or something lol.

myself i find it better to update through the app you set everything up as if you were going to fly touch thr three dots top right of screen scroll down to about and then you should be able to update to latest firmware this will take a while so if you have a small desktop fan blowing on the drone it will help to keep it from getting to hot after you have completed the update you need to turn off the drone then turn it on again to store the update in the drone ,you might find that when you use another battery that it will ask you to update it that is normal and also after update check your flight settings as these can be altered during the update its best to make a note of them before you start

If it isnt broke, do you really need to fix it?
yeah i agree, that's been my thought process for 1.5 years, but i have a feeling that it's been SO long that I'm over due for an upgrade. But maybe not? What has your experience been? Do you update right away or rarely?

myself i find it better to update through the app you set everything up as if you were going to fly touch thr three dots top right of screen scroll down to about and then you should be able to update to latest firmware this will take a while so if you have a small desktop fan blowing on the drone it will help to keep it from getting to hot after you have completed the update you need to turn off the drone then turn it on again to store the update in the drone ,you might find that when you use another battery that it will ask you to update it that is normal and also after update check your flight settings as these can be altered during the update its best to make a note of them before you start
Oh really, i didn't know that was possible, I thought it had to be through the desktop DJI Assistant. I might try that.

yeah i agree, that's been my thought process for 1.5 years, but i have a feeling that it's been SO long that I'm over due for an upgrade. But maybe not? What has your experience been? Do you update right away or rarely?
If it is doing everthing I need I don't touch it. Someone may chime in with features that were added but I don't think they are doing much with that model after the Mavic 2's came out.

I think my concern is, jumping so many versions (1.5years worth) at once could cause an issue once I try to fly again after updating.

you can check how many updates you have missed it will tell you in the assistant 2 and you can see what the differences are before you decide to go ahead

I have never updated my firmware since I got my Mavic Pro 1.5 years ago. I've had no issues so therefore I just never bothered updating, I know that's probably not recommended. Anyways, now I am going to update. Is there any words of wisdom? I just downloaded the DJI Assistant 2, and am now charging my RC and drone as I read they need to be > 50%. Are there any special tips I should know? Tests to run after updating? Obviously I want to make sure the drone flies as usual, and doesn't spaz out mid flight or something lol.
I wouldn't go past 1.04.0300. You'll lose a lot of "flexibility" after that point. I'm still on 1.04.000 and have no immediate plans to update further. See link below.

Reactions: Murley and billem16
Oh really, i didn't know that was possible, I thought it had to be through the desktop DJI Assistant. I might try that.
I would recommend using Assistant 2 over the app. I just think it’s more reliable.

Unless to have a real reason to update or you plan to do Super-Patcher I would recommend just keeping the firmware you have. There were features like quickshots added and possibly unlocking the gimbal in fixed wing mode but those are the only two features I can think of that were added to the Mavic Pro at the moment.

The only reason I have mine on the newer firmware is I can use Super-Patcher to modify what I want

Reactions: Murley and BossBob
Just bought my first MP2...went to update the controller firmware via my phone and wifi....the controller died. The supplier replaced it without question but advised to do all future updates...i.e. controller, drone and batteries whilst plugged into the PC. I did that second time around and it worked a treat

Two thoughts be patient while upgrading. The upgrade takes a while, and can appear to be done when it isn’t. An incomplete upgrade is a disaster.

upgrades are about more than features. Almost always they contain bug fixes as well. I prefer to have the bugs found and fixed before I fly.

Take Your Time, And Keep Hitting The Go Button When Downloading, Else It Will Keep Stopping, And You Have To Start All Over. You Have To Stay There And Just Watch The Download, As Soon As It Stops, Hit The Go, To Make It Keep Going Until Fully Downloaded. I Learned This The Hard Way, I Kept Walking Away, Expecting It To Download On Its Own, NOPE. Thats My Advise. I Have Both Magic’s, Pro 2, And Zoom...

I just tried to update through the app after not updated since I purchased it over 3 years ago and it was a complete disaster, now I've spent hours trying to get any firmware to completely install via the app, a pc and a mac to no avail. After spending hours on the phone multiple times with DJI they're answer is that I need to send it in for repair... Again, complete disaster!

If anyone has any ideas for me please respond, otherwise it's going in the mail on Monday and I hope to God they don't say it's all my fault and quote me hundreds of dollars to fix it, which I have a feeling they will...

Reactions: syzygos7
Seriously, I wouldn't change a thing. I uploaded the latest version for my Mavic Pro and now I can't seem to flash any other versions of firmware into her. Best to stick to the firmware you have, as it gives you fat more control over your parameters.

Seriously, I wouldn't change a thing. I uploaded the latest version for my Mavic Pro and now I can't seem to flash any other versions of firmware into her. Best to stick to the firmware you have, as it gives you fat more control over your parameters.
Since the firmware update didn't complete the drone doesn't work anymore.. hence the need to send it in.

I have Mavic Air since late april 2018. Never updated as it flies well. No issues. So I'm on firmware 0300 as today is 0620.
Most important for me to keep FCC mode.

My advice is don't change a thing. I wanted to hack into my MP, I didn't like all the limitations, lockdown of parameters. On this site some fantastic, knowledgeable people talked me through firmware, what apps to install onto my computer to hack my drone, and reinstall old firmware. Ironically I'm pretty sure I've the firmware installed you already have been flying with!

As someone else said on this site a few months back, if it ain't broke don't change it!

Reactions: ChrisMechanic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito