DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updating location for RTH?

BostonFJ40

Reactions
If you launch, from a boat for example, and the boat is moving and is in a totally different location from where you launched from where does the AC return to when you hit RTH (or a low battery RTH)? If I remember from my Phantom, it would return home to the launch point. If so is there a way to update the RTH location?

Haven’t tried it but can’t you click the “update home location” during flight?

Reactions: dawgpilot
It's a mystery but for over a year, the app has not been recognising GPS data from Apple devices.
I never had an issue with my Phantom 4 Pro and my iPad Pro 9.7in. It will be interesting to see what happens when my MA2 arrives, I bought a iPad Air 3 to use specifically with it.

Edit: after a quick Google search I do see where people were having issues.

Last edited:
It's one of the features in the app.
But if you are using an Apple phone or tablet, it might not work.
are you talking about the Fly app? I've been using it with an iPhone since the Mini launched and didn't see any issues with getting the GPS location.

are you talking about the Fly app? I've been using it with an iPhone since the Mini launched and didn't see any issues with getting the GPS location.
I don't have an Apple device to experiment but many users have been complaining about thisnfor the last year.
It might be an interesting issue to investigate.

I don't have an Apple device to experiment but many users have been complaining about thisnfor the last year.
It might be an interesting issue to investigate.
interesting, if you have a link at hand please drop it here, you made me curious. I didn't see this problem mentioned before and did not encounter this issue during my own usage.

interesting, if you have a link at hand please drop it here, you made me curious. I didn't see this problem mentioned before and did not encounter this issue during my own usage.
As a beginner...
I thought there was an option to "return to controller" (location.)

As a beginner...
I thought there was an option to "return to controller" (location.)
you have the option to manually update your RTH to your controller's position. You can't have it automatically update its position to the controller's position all the time. Imagine being on a boat, if you lose connection you would have no idea what was the last controller position that was sent to the drone.

It's a mystery but for over a year, the app has not been recognising GPS data from Apple devices.

That's typically only an issue with Wi-Fi only iPads that don't contain a GPS chip. iPhones or cellular-capable iPads should be able to set RTH just fine.

That's typically only an issue with Wi-Fi only iPads that don't contain a GPS chip. iPhones or cellular-capable iPads should be able to set RTH just fine.
It's not that simple.
There have been many Apple users, with functioning GPS receivers in their iPhones and iPads getting a message that says Weak GPS Signal (which means no GPS signal) when they try to start Follow-Me flight or reset the home point to the current location of their controller.
Here are a couple of examples:

Search for weak gps signal and you'll find many more.

Reactions: dawgpilot
It's not that simple.
There have been many Apple users, with functioning GPS receivers in their iPhones and iPads getting a message that says Weak GPS Signal (which means no GPS signal) when they try to start Follow-Me flight or reset the home point to the current location of their controller.
Here are a couple of examples:

Search for weak gps signal and you'll find many more.
None of those are about Mavic Mini, so not about the DJI Fly app, which the Air 2 uses.

As Meta4 has previously sagely recommended, you can always periodically reset the home point to the current aircraft location, as a decent workaround, while having the aircraft follow a moving boat. Using the GPS in the aircraft is exactly how the home point is set initially anyway, independently of the iPad GPS capability, or lack thereof.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc