DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrade Put Me In NFZ

unlock your drones and be free. You own it. You are responsible for the flight of it, not DJI or any other company. This begs the question: If DJI is limiting your drone by implementing a NFZ, are they liable if the NFZ restriction that they put in place doesn't work for some reason and you are able fly and hurt someone? Could you make the argument that DJI is responsible because, had the NFZ that was put in place worked, this would not have happened? I wonder....

unlock your drones and be free. You own it. You are responsible for the flight of it, not DJI or any other company. This begs the question: If DJI is limiting your drone by implementing a NFZ, are they liable if the NFZ restriction that they put in place doesn't work for some reason and you are able fly and hurt someone? Could you make the argument that DJI is responsible because, had the NFZ that was put in place worked, this would not have happened? I wonder....

No, the pilot in command (PIC) is ultimately responsible for the flight, including making sure they don't operate in a NFZ. Just because DJI doesn't lock you out of an area doesn't mean it's legal to fly there.

Reactions: dirkclod
There shouldn't be. I know the airspace rules are changing, but mostly for the better. They are going to be shaped more like an hourglass, reflecting the major runways path, instead of just a big circle. According to the FAA UAS DATA map I'm still in an area that allows the full 400 ft. but the controller won't let me take off.

Wow, that would be a great change. Do you have a source to back up your claims?

But that's just DJI's geofencing, so it doesn't matter at all? I mean it doesn't change much that DJI allows you to fly on the sides of an airport, since it'll still be illegal according to the FAA?

Yeah, as far as I know, the FAA themselves aren't relaxing any rules about where you can fly. If anything, the recreational rules are going to get more strict, with specific authorization needed to fly in controlled airspace now (compared to the prior rule requiring mere notification of airports within 5 miles). They also added a new federal crime for flying too close to airports or approach zones.

EVO - that’s my next bird

Around my area (South of Perth Australia) DJIs map is so inaccurate it is laughable.

It shows a very small circle around some airfields but misses most of them. It has no restrictions on the large military area around Garden Island, nor any of the controlled airspace associated with Perth International airport of the very busy GA airport at Jandicot.

As I said, laughable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson