DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgrading from M2P to M3 classic?

Thanks so much KAOS. We certainly do have the same needs. I've owned numerous Canon full frame cameras since the initial 1Ds. Now using the Fuji GFX100 system and a new XT-5. Still have my Canon 5DsR's and R5 with tons of glass. If you are correct that the M3 is as stable as the P4P, then I might see myself weaning myself off the Phantom series, though I still own a few. Yes, the pixel count is the same, but it's the quality and size of the pixels that really matters. I sure want less noise in low light. And I do a lot of panos, both horizontal and vertical, often ending with a squarish aspect ratio. I do use the Topaz tools, and have 28 years with Photoshop. You'll recognize my drone work scattered throughout my website.
Some real nice gear you have :)

M3 is much more stable than P4P and more stable than M2P. I'll probably sell my P4P and keep the M2P as backup...but I'm also interested in how good the IQ is on the Mini 3 Pro. If adequate, it would fit in a backpack with a good amount of other camera gear and might fill the need to have both systems with me. Sure I can put the M3 in one of my bags but less room for a couple of extra lenses, second body for timelapse, etc. Cheers!

Reactions: JeffreyS
Some real nice gear you have :)

M3 is much more stable than P4P and more stable than M2P. I'll probably sell my P4P and keep the M2P as backup. ..but I'm also interested in how good the IQ is on the Mini 3 Pro. If adequate, it would fit in a backpack with a good amount of other camera gear and might fill the need to have both systems with me. Sure I can put the M3 in one of my bags but less room for a couple of extra lenses, second body for timelapse, etc. Cheers!
I also have the Mini 3 Pro which I bought as a drone only package to use with my existing RC Pro. The dynamic range of the M3P is not as good as the M3 but I have been pleasantly surprised by the image quality and low light ability. I usually shoot in the 48MP mode. Definitely not as stable as the M3 but I can use it in places where it would be illegal to fly the M3.

Chris

As a longtime Phantom 4 Pro+ user, I also have a M2P, for airline trips. My only use for using a drone is for still landscape photography. No video. As a pro, I use some high end cameras, so the sensor size and quality are of utmost importance as well as the stability of the drone. I've been getting that from the Phantoms. It is possible that the new Mavic 3 classic will produce better quality images than the similar 20MP sensor in my P4P's? But perhaps with better dynamic range and less noise in low light? Another question: is the only difference between the M3 Classic and the Mavic 3 simply the additional sensor/lens? I don't plan to ever use that small sensor so I may not need that model. I appears that all other specs and features are the same. Bummer that I can not use my DJI RM500 Smart Controller from the M2P. Any advice on this topic is appreciated.
I have both the M2P and the M3C. I have always been impressed with the amage quality of the M2P. I have made some outstanding prints in the 30x40 inch range with the M2P processed from the RAW (DNG) files. They are superb. Even the unprocessed jpgs have great dynamic range and color fidelity without having to process much.

I've had the M3C for bout 6 weeks. It is a very able flight craft with all the modes made available through the updated firmware. But, I can say that at this point, I am not overwhelmed with image quality. In fact, I grade it down from the M2P, at least at this point. The still jpg images are oversaturated and the RAWs seem to require more effort to get what I deem saleable quality. It may come to pass that I will learn to love the camera; but, right now, I'm not impressed. My money craft for still imagery is the M2P.

I am a Nikon shooter with multiple bodies, so I'm versed in all aspects of digital photography and processing. While the larger M3C sensor, in theory, should be better (the same number of pixels on a larger sensor yields LARGER pixels and ought to be better. But that's not always the case. As far as the M3C having two cameras, I would be surprised if that's the case, but I'm not certain. It has two lens systems for sure, but beyond that I wouldn't be surprised if the imaging system behind the lenses is shared. The in-camera processing algorithms, I believe would be the same.

As a photographer, 100% you want the Mavic 3 -- NOT the Mavic 3 Classic. The 7x lens is extremely underrated. Shoot in RAW, and do manual panoramic images; stitch them together and create epic high-megapixel images. Use Topaz Denoise if you want to remove any noise. My aerial gallery is here: Ray Majoran's Aerial Collection - Compassion Gallery

Attached are a couple of photos specifically shot with the 7x and processed in Lightroom and Topaz.

You will not regret the Mavic 3.

Attachments

• 20221127-065124.jpg
    20221127-065124.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20221126-172353.jpg
    20221126-172353.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
As a photographer, 100% you want the Mavic 3 -- NOT the Mavic 3 Classic. The 7x lens is extremely underrated. Shoot in RAW, and do manual panoramic images; stitch them together and create epic high-megapixel images. Use Topaz Denoise if you want to remove any noise. My aerial gallery is here: Ray Majoran's Aerial Collection - Compassion Gallery

Attached are a couple of photos specifically shot with the 7x and processed in Lightroom and Topaz.

You will not regret the Mavic 3.
Your gallery is awesome! Are those all taken with the 7x lens? How many photos are you stitching together?

Your gallery is awesome! Are those all taken with the 7x lens? How many photos are you stitching together?
Thank you! The composition of the aerial photos in my gallery range from: Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 3 (24mm), Mavic 3 (160mm), and then a number of them that a multi-stitch panos. And then some of them are also taken from a plane.

When I stitch photos together, it ranges. Some are 9 photos, others are 21. And then for the verticals, it's usually 3.

Reactions: Cosmo0g
I still have the M2P.

I've been holding off on upgrading as much as possible until RID and the EU CE requirements start being enforced.

The M3C seems like the closest to the M2P design. For me the M3 Pro is an unlikely upgrade because it's over the 900 grams threshold for being able to fly in the most permissive EU category for recreational flights.

I also don't know how much I'd use the telephoto lenses in either the M3 Pro or for that matter, the Air 3 because most of the photos I keep are panos, not individual shots.

Not to mention, the smaller sensor on the telephoto camera are likely a downgrade in IQ from the main camera and maybe even my M2P.

So the M3C is closest to the M2P in price, size and weight.

I assume there are still improvements like longer fight time, range, RF tech.

I'm not as enamored of the larger controllers, since I fly mostly on trips and it means lugging more weight and bulk around.

Also, people don't seem to like the app as much as the DJI Go 4 app but are resigned to it since there are the optional RC controllers with the built-in displays.

So anyone else make this upgrade path, M2P to M3 Classic?

Any regrets or have you strayed to the Air 3 or maybe decided to get the M3 Pro?

So anyone else make this upgrade path, M2P to M3 Classic?
Went with the M3. Waited until several bugs were exterminated. Still have a few M2 pro and zoom. Next will likely be the M3 pro if I don’t see any hints of an M4.
No regrets at all. Staying away from the “mini” line. Screws in props aren’t my cup of tea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa