DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US to ban Chinese made drones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they ban items made in china all the rooms Mod Removed Political Remark) would be empty.
The rooms in just about every hotel would be mostly empty. You wouldn't have a phone or computer. Same for appliances.

Realistically, unless you want to destroy the hobby completely, the choice for most drone hobbyists is between buying a Chinese drone, or a non-Chinese branded drone assembled in Not-China with 90% Chinese components. ;)?

Seriously though, the paranoia and xenophobia would be amusing if it wasn't so potentially tragic for the destiny of the 21st century.

I repeat (from a previous thread on this theme), the Chinese want your $$$ yes... your land, women and freedom? nah...
I have to suggest you do a modicum of reading up on world history. Economics IS world conflict. Why did the Japanese attack the US in WWII?? <---riddle me that, drone-man, and you will begin your path to enlightenment.

good about time need to expand it...shut china out

Too late, China makes everything for everyone in the world at 1/4 the price. If everyone truly wants US made products, get your wallet out and say good bye to realistic price points.

Also, I have yet to see a single report actually confirming these allegations, which have been around for many months. I have only seen "concerns" and "potential risk" never actual evidence of illegal transfer of sensitive information... besides, they have spy satellites just like we do. If Government officials are flying sensitive areas and then openly connecting to the internet, well, that is OUR issue IMO.

Reactions: maelstrom
Too late, China makes everything for everyone in the world at 1/4 the price. If everyone truly wants US made products, get your wallet out and say good bye to realistic price points.

Also, I have yet to see a single report actually confirming these allegations, which have been around for many months. I have only seen "concerns" and "potential risk" never actual evidence of illegal transfer of sensitive information... besides, they have spy satellites just like we do. If Government officials are flying sensitive areas and then openly connecting to the internet, well, that is OUR issue IMO.
Try using google....any number of relevant search terms will help fill that vacuum in knowledge for you. If you truly don't know that China is actively and aggressively engaging in espionage I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you, near you, for cash. Find one you like..I'll sell it to you.

Try using google....any number of relevant search terms will help fill that vacuum in knowledge for you. If you truly don't know that China is actively and aggressively engaging in espionage I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you, near you, for cash. Find one you like..I'll sell it to you.
I am sure they do, along with nearly every other nation. Personally I am more worried about the way US owned companies such as Facebook, Google etc harvest information and data and the ability of the US to listen in on all the worlds mobile phone conversations.

A US made drone would cost 3X and be a spy cam for Google, Amazon, Facebook, DHS, CIA, FBI or any other alphabet group.

Take your Mavic and go visit mainland China, travel, talk to the people it is an incredibly amazing place.
For me the US/China xenophobic propaganda is unbelievably ridiculous.

Reactions: Heindrich1988
A US made drone would cost 3X and be a spy cam for Google, Amazon, Facebook, DHS, CIA, FBI or any other alphabet group.

Take your Mavic and go visit mainland China, travel, talk to the people it is an incredibly amazing place.
For me the US/China xenophobic propaganda is unbelievably ridiculous.

What you are saying MIGHT be true. The average citizen is not the problem. It’s the government that you can not trust.

What you are saying MIGHT be true. The average citizen is not the problem. It’s the government that you can not trust.

I kind of wanted to avoid commenting further on this kind of subject, because in my experience, you rarely change opinions online and it tends to just lead to a further polarization of positions. But I want to reply to the above and @John A. who tagged me directly.

Firstly, for context. I was born in China, but emigrated to the UK as a child and grew up there and lived there for most of my life. I will return to the UK as soon as the pandemic calms down there and I can find a job to return to. I am a British citizen educated in the UK, I've even studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at university. So John, I'm not some naive fool who thinks the world runs on hope and love. Nor am I brainwashed a China-man who loves the CCP and hates "freedom".

With that said, I just want to point out a few basic facts:

1. The USA is the world's most powerful country by far. Its military spending famously outmatches all her potential adversaries combined. This is despite the fact that it heads the most powerful alliance network in the world (NATO + others) and its direct neighbours are Canada and Mexico.
  2. In contrast, China neighbours 14 countries, including India, Pakistan, North Korea and Russia, which are all nuclear powers. It also suffered two centuries of foreign interference, invasion and imperialism prior to independence in 1949.
Can you blame the Chinese for being a little concerned about national security with that neighbourhood and that history? Next let's consider US attitude/behaviour to China before Trump.

Can you imagine if China had the audacity to establish military bases in Cuba and declare the Gulf of Mexico to be "an area of core strategic importance"? The USA would literally threaten nuclear war to prevent it. We know this because that's basically what nearly caused WWIII in the Cuban Missile Crisis. And yet that's exactly what Hilary Clinton announced with regards to the Western Pacific, in Obama's famous "Pivot to Asia". Excuse me, but which US State is in the Western Pacific that it should be considered a core strategic interest for "American security"?

In short, China is surrounded by openly hostile or potentially dangerous countries, and American military basis from Afghanistan in the West, to Japan in the East. China has no foreign military bases except a recently established base in Djibouti, Horn of Africa, where of course, the USA also has a base. Objectively speaking, who is a greater threat to whom?

"Ah, but the USA is a free democracy, China is a communist dictatorship, you can't trust them commies!" You might argue.

There's a lot wrong with that statement and I don't want to write an even longer essay explaining it. But let's just say the US is not innocent even in its behaviour towards supposed friends and allies.

Again, remember this occurred in the Obama administration, a man who won the Nobel Peace Prize! lol

"The average citizen is not the problem. It’s the government that you can not trust."

@Platinum 4 ever Maybe you are able to make a rational distinction between the government and the people. But let's be real here. Human beings are emotional creatures and group animals. Most people respond to emotive statements like those Trump has repeated for 4 years. The justified and rational caution about the rise of China has morphed into full-blown xenophobia and discrimination.

I have a rather rare perspective given my background. Let's just say that when I went to Beijing 12/13 years ago, the locals loved foreigners, especially Americans. Everything Western was considered cool, advanced and just better than local things. Frankly, they trusted CNN and Obama more than Chinese media, which everyone knew was filtered through a pro-Party lense. I got free upgrades at my Beijing hotel just because I was a British citizen.

Now? Years of ceaseless China-bashing has finally done what all the decades of communist propaganda has failed to achieve. They have rallied around the Party because the country and its people feel under attack by a hypocritical West. I wouldn't say that Chinese people are unfriendly to Westerners now, but they are more guarded and certainly do not blindly worship great America anymore. If Chinese attitudes continue to harden towards nationalism and resentment towards the West, then I fear the 21st century will not be a peaceful one.

The cynics might point to Thucydides' Trap and claim that conflict was inevitable. But I don't think it was... and the fact that we are blindly drifting into it is a terrible and tragic course of events that I can only hope can still be reversed. For all our sakes.

Being you guys or some are wanting to get political
I see this as going down hill so just consider it almost as far as it’s going to go.
Those that want to have a go at each other do so in a message with
each other not here.
Anymore and this Will be over.

If you are really worried about DJI drones and national security, then you need to be worried about your mobile phone, your Large Screen TV, your refrigerator, your coffee maker and your car, all made with electronics made in China. My big concern is Tok Tok, I am not sure how many teenage girl dance videos are undermining the security of the USA. (lol) ( Mod removed Political Remark)

Last edited by a moderator:

AND IT’S OVER
1605019534812.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members