DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US West Coast Fires- Safe to fly?

Is it safe to fly when air quality is low (no visible embers and no visible ashes, just smoke)?

• Sure, as long as all FAA rules are followed

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No, if it’s not safe for humans, it’s not safe for the drone

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Talkenrain

Reactions
Even though the smoke has been awful and some days the air quality has not been safe at the ground level, the sunrise and sunsets have been pretty interesting. If visibility is still good, is it safe (for the drone) to fly as long as it’s only smoke in the air (no embers or ash flakes). I’ve wanted to get some shots but don’t want to damage my drone or get contaminants where I cannot clean them. Your thoughts?

Even though the smoke has been awful and some days the air quality has not been safe at the ground level, the sunrise and sunsets have been pretty interesting. If visibility is still good, is it safe (for the drone) to fly as long as it’s only smoke in the air (no embers or ash flakes). I’ve wanted to get some shots but don’t want to damage my drone or get contaminants where I cannot clean them. Your thoughts?
If you would ride a motorcycle without fairings & eye protection at same speed, then probably.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Please leave the airspace for first responders, fire-fighters, etc. Keep your drone safely on the ground ... please!

Hey guys and gals,

I feel I should apologize for my post above about leaving airspace for 1st responders. After having seen more footage on the very bad air pollution that is occurring in CA and OR, I now understand the original posters question. I wrongly assumed he/she was wanting to fly is areas that have active wild fires. I realize now he/she was likely just concerned about flying in areas that are remote from the wild-fires, but are experiencing severe air pollution nonetheless.

Sorry again for my insensitivities to the plight you folks out west are experiencing. Stay safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan