DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA registration

Here is exactly what is going to lead us down a road to more regulation. This whole notion that your drone is just a toy and doesn't need any regulation at all, is why it scares the bejesus out of the FAA and the aviation community in general. If your drone weighs less than half a pound and you can only fly it up to 100 feet away from you in all directions then it is a toy. But when it weighs half a pound or better and has the capability of flying 4 miles away and several thousand feet high, then it is no longer a toy, it is an aircraft that definitely can have an affect on other aircraft in the NAS. The big difference in this whole scenario is I (and those others on here that think similarly) understand the gravity of what affect our UAS can have on other aircraft. We take it seriously and we try to do everything we can to enhance our situational awareness to the extent that it may seem like overkill to some. Where as those on here that think they are just playing with a toy don't think twice about stepping out anywhere, flipping on a few buttons, and tossing their toy into the wild blue yonder and anyone who criticizes them for doing that is just infringing on their personal right to do anything they please and thinks everyone that is not doing the same is just a wanta be something that they aren't. Right now I just fly for fun, but eventually I am going to find something I am interested in doing that turns my fun into a money maker and to do that you have to treat everything like it is something more than a toy and just going out to fly around your back yard.

I agree with you 1,000,000 percent. You nailed it on the head. Well said.

I have never referred to this being “unconstitutional” so you’re obviously not referring to me but seeing as you label any such reference as “nonsense“ I completely agree with you that this is a “pointless waste of time“. You tip your hand too easily.
As for what the NAS is and seeing that you are “licensed to fly in it” you undoubtedly know that it is a complex system, not just a space. A system that our plastic toys are not a part of no matter how much you “Drone pilots“ out there want them to be. Have fun kids.

You may be using them as toys, and that's fine. Many of us use them as tools, a purpose for which they are also well-suited. And you still won't explain the basis for your objection to registration? Then why even post about it?

That is such a BS response that everybody makes, it is not the same. You only have to register your vehicle to drive it on the street and it is a State and local revenue generator ie tax not to mention you actually register the vehicle, not yourself. You guys really need to Find another example, they are not analogous
You need a driver's license to drive your vehicle on a public street, you need to take a class and past some tests to get your license. Why should the same requirement apply here, for those flying over areas other than their own property.

Reactions: BigAl07
You may be using them as toys, and that's fine. Many of us use them as tools, a purpose for which they are also well-suited. And you still won't explain the basis for your objection to registration? Then why even post about it?
Well said

Reactions: BigAl07
One thing to keep in mind is that there are a LOT more UAS on the market than just the Mavic and Spark. We are all in the same boat as UAS such as Inspire 2, Matric210, and the M600 with the latter having SIX high density batteries. Some of these "toys" earn up $1,000's of dollars a day and put food on our tables and buy clothes for our families.

Just because the particular UAS you fly is a toy to you (in size and how you fly) doesn't mean that all of us are flying toys. Also just because you only fly it at "Tree level over your backyard" doesn't mean that in a bad situation you don't lose control and it goes to a height and in a direction you have no control over.

If it can fly hundreds of feet autonomously then it should be registered and your contact information should be attached to it permanently.

I'm not for registration but at least I try to fly as far away from airports as possible, my mother and law said she seen drones flying over her house and she lives less than 2 miles from a highly active regional airport.. that kind of behavior will get us much more than registration..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13