DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB file transfer annoying...

Lewberry6

Reactions
Correct me if I’m wrong but am I right in thinking the only way to transfer files over the usb connection is to fully boot the drone? It’s a little annoying that to get the maximum file transfer speeds over the USB connection it requires the drone to be fully unpacked, protector removed etc. just for a data transfer.

It is also the same with the OSMO pocket as well, the gimbal etc boots fully before the USB option is available.

Couldn’t DJI have the drone check for a USB connection before fully booting?

am I right in thinking the only way to transfer files over the usb connection is to fully boot the drone?
Yes, that's correct.

Reactions: Lewberry6
Only time you want to hook/powerup up the drone is when using Assistant.

Its much easier to do what brett just said.

Me personally i use a usb stick adaptor

I found hooking up the drone was a hassle. I found it easier to pull the chip and pop it in the chip reader on the computer. It is USB3 so it transfers very quickly.

Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing but I’ve got a poor card reader at the moment so usb gives me much faster speeds. Maybe I need an upgrade ha

Just seems strange as I said though that they didn’t allow a full boot to be missed for a file transfer... Must be a reason I presume.

Only time you want to hook/powerup up the drone is when using Assistant.

Its much easier to do what brett just said.

Me personally i use a usb stick adaptor

Yes I think I need to upgrade my card reader/ get a new USB one then if fast/ faster speeds can be achieved this way. I don’t think my reader is 3.0 compliant so the USB connection is quicker.

I bought this: https://www.amazon.de/Jelly-Comb-Ka...ro+sd+reader&qid=1552924878&s=gateway&sr=8-19

Just take out the MicroSD put it into the reader. It's compatible with my PC and tablet, because it has USB-C and USB-A connector. Reads my card with ~95 MB/s.

Thanks. I might have to give something like that a try then. As I’ve mentioned I fitted a built in card reader years ago to my pc but as I’ve been doing more filming and the file sizes have been getting bigger moving from HD to 4K and now 100mbs it’s getting a little slow to transfer, thus was getting quicker speeds via USB connection direct to the drone.

Yes I think I need to upgrade my card reader/ get a new USB one then if fast/ faster speeds can be achieved this way. I don’t think my reader is 3.0 compliant so the USB connection is quicker.
I've been using this Transcend memory card reader for some time now. It's works well, is inexpensive, and support USB 3.0.

1552926774239.png

You really should always be taking out the memory card to offload. You don't need to fire up the drone, it's way faster, and in general the built-in ports are notoriously fragile. A $10 card reader from Amazon will have you on your way in no time.

Keep in mind the offload speed will only ever be as fast as the weakest link, which can include but is not limited to your memory card, the reader itself, the cable(s) you're using, your computer's USB port, etc.

Reactions: Rich55
You really should always be taking out the memory card to offload. You don't need to fire up the drone, it's way faster, and in general the built-in ports are notoriously fragile. A $10 card reader from Amazon will have you on your way in no time.

Keep in mind the offload speed will only ever be as fast as the weakest link, which can include but is not limited to your memory card, the reader itself, the cable(s) you're using, your computer's USB port, etc.

Thanks. I didn’t think about the wear and tear on the drone as well...

I have ordered a USB dongle!

Thanks all. I’ve ordered the a USB dongle Photo-Sorko recommended to see if it is definitely my current reader that is the bottle neck at the moment for file transfers. Hopefully my speeds will increase and I can save my drone the wear and tear and myself the inconvenience involved in booting the drone every time. Would then certainly make sense if the dongle transfer speeds are quicker why DJI don’t have a dedicated transfer mode without a full boot up, being more of a backup than a regular means for file transfer.

Reactions: Photo-Sorko
Most of the MicroSD cards have read speeds around 90-100MB/s, which is the most common bottleneck, so just for a data point, unloading a full 64GB card will still take about 10 minutes with everything running as fast as it can - don't expect miracles.

I'm also struggling with transfering files from the drone, taking the sdcard out and back in countless of times, this card and sdcard port seems to be much more fragile to me as USB port ... DJI could implement a simple feature to startup the drone in USB stroage mode only, for example with reversing power on command (1x long press + 1x short press) or something similar ...

I'm also struggling with transfering files from the drone, taking the sdcard out and back in countless of times, this card and sdcard port seems to be much more fragile to me as USB port ... DJI could implement a simple feature to startup the drone in USB stroage mode only, for example with reversing power on command (1x long press + 1x short press) or something similar ...

A partial startup (i.e. without motor tests and gimbal calibration) along with wireless file transfer would be extremely easy to do and would be a nice addition. A simple app provides any smartphone/tablet with that feature. Maybe on the Mavic 3 :)

Pop the card out, put it one of these. I carry a similar one on my Keyring,

I would worry about the micro USB B port (which are still pretty trusty) before worrying about the sdcardslot wearing out.
And even thats only if you jamming it in there upside down and sideways all the time.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Rich55
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member