DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB port on Mavic Mini Controller slightly broken

Reactions
The silver sheathing piece of metal on the USB port of the controller seems to have broken.. no idea how. I'm very careful with each piece of this wonder drone.

I can charge controller if some upward pressure is applied to cable, otherwise it disconnects.

The cable between the phone and the controller seems to stay secure however.. so not a complete deal breaker, but sketchy to fly this way.

What exactly happens to controller if phone disconnects midflight...? does it still work?

I don't have a warranty so I'm curious what the repair process will be, not looking forward to losing controller for a month if it takes a while..

Not sure what you mean by "I don't have a warranty". If you send it in for DJI repair it will be less than a year since activated and they should repair it under warranty (likely send you a new one). I don't believe they will ask you for proof of purchase.

Reactions: Thomas B
Yes you can still fly it just better be in LOS so you can. Maybe you messed it up plugging it in wrong or trying.
I don't care for the way it is I like the USB like the MP and M2P

Reactions: Thomas B
The sooner DJI start using USB C the better. Micro USB is rubbish and the square style port on the Mavic Pro controller is a known weak point.

In the UK, there are people offering a repair service on Ebay, it's so common. Mavic USB repair

Get an alternative cable that allows you to use the full-size USB2.0 port in the base of the controller. You'll need a short cable that connects from that USB2.0 socket, and has whatever your phone/pad requires on the other end to plug into. When you use this cable, you MUST take the short DJI supplied USB cable out of the side port - otherwise the controller will sense it and look to it exclusively for the data connect to Go4. Be very careful plugging a USB charging cable into the side port of the RC controller, because if you use a standard micro-USB cable, and have it the wrong way round, you can break the contact tongue in the middle of the port - and that is an expensive repair! (Personally - I use a reversible type micro-USB for [only] charging) ...

Reactions: Gobuchul
On my M2P I use the magnetic mini port cord that stays in the controller all the time and just slap the cord to it when charging .The other end is the full size usb that fits into the phone charger. Works great. Will have and look for one that
would work with my iPad so would have to have 2 cords.
One for charging and other for device and try those. Controller peice would stay in all the time. Would solve the
issue of messing that up. ?

the fact that the MM controller only has the side port for connecting the charger or device cable ,is really a backwards step, and is one of the few things that disappointed me about the controller, so you have to be extra careful when plugging unplugging cables in the port

Going to look for that cord on Amazon when I get back from dropping off grand at school. That would solve that issue.
Don’t know why I hadn’t thought of it till now. ?

Reactions: old man mavic
the fact that the MM controller only has the side port for connecting the charger or device cable ,is really a backwards step, and is one of the few things that disappointed me about the controller, so you have to be extra careful when plugging unplugging cables in the port
The way around it, is to leave the cable permanently plugged into the controller and use a female adapter at the over end to connect to a USB charger. Something like this for micro USB or this for USB C. Then you are not wearing the port on the controller when connecting the charger.

Reactions: raulmavic
The Mavic Mini controller doesn’t have a full sized USB port.
Arrgh - sorry - I wasn't aware of that! Bad advice ...

Not sure what you mean by "I don't have a warranty". If you send it in for DJI repair it will be less than a year since activated and they should repair it under warranty (likely send you a new one). I don't believe they will ask you for proof of purchase.

Ah, I mean the protection plan insurance. Good to know though about the actual warranty. I'll reach out to DJI today. Thanks!

Good advice all around. It definitely is a major weak spot on an otherwise amazing piece of gear.

Ah, I mean the protection plan insurance. Good to know though about the actual warranty. I'll reach out to DJI today. Thanks!

Good advice all around. It definitely is a major weak spot on an otherwise amazing piece of gear.
Contact their service dept. by email. They respond quickly and will send mailing label w/free postage. Turn around, in my experience has been less than 10 days. Most of that was mailing time. You can also track progress online. Both times, good experience for me. Wish you well.

The silver sheathing piece of metal on the USB port of the controller seems to have broken.. no idea how. I'm very careful with each piece of this wonder drone.

I can charge controller if some upward pressure is applied to cable, otherwise it disconnects.

The cable between the phone and the controller seems to stay secure however.. so not a complete deal breaker, but sketchy to fly this way.

What exactly happens to controller if phone disconnects midflight...? does it still work?

I don't have a warranty so I'm curious what the repair process will be, not looking forward to losing controller for a month if it takes a while..
With or without the charger part.

Attachments

• MC OTG.jpg
    MC OTG.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 34
The way around it, is to leave the cable permanently plugged into the controller and use a female adapter at the over end to connect to a USB charger. Something like this for micro USB or this for USB C. Then you are not wearing the port on the controller when connecting the charger.

Great idea !

I'll get recommended adapter USB C to USB A. That way controller port will not suffer innecesary wear.

R.

usb c to usb a.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143