DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use of drones at African lodges and other travels

I will nit return to Mexico again because of the ban on drone flying there. It is definitely a factor in my choice of holiday destinations now whether or not I am allowed to fly a drone.

Plenty of destinations to choose and a country which allows drone flying is more likely to get my tourist dollars.

Jerry

Awesome, I am going to take you up on that. Have you guys always stayed at lodges like that one, or is there more economical ways to get it done and get the experience. My wife and I love to travel and might have to work this in around Peru and Italy in the next 3 years.

First of all. I have no financial attachments to this company!!! African Travel, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

As mentioned, my wife and I have traveled to Africa on safari 12 times. We have used many different companies. Of all of those we have used, African Travel out of Ft. Lauderdale have proven the best. Call Ian Flores there. They are devoted only to African travel, very experienced, and they will work with your budget and interests. Not sure you will be able to use a drone anywhere there, so don't even think of bringing it. Our agent, Ian Flores is highly recommended. Here is a link for you. We have recommended him to two close friends who were both happy with their results and their trips.

Critical to travel there is a careful study of the seasons!!! Do not go in the rainy season. Most expensive times is June-July, August, September. October is shoulder season and less expensive. Depends, of course, on which country you consider. Do not go in their rainy season. Too much grass for animals to hide, and too many water holes so no place to see animals drinking. Another hint- if you are into photography, RENT a 600mm lens and a gimbal to hold it up. I can supply two good rental companies that I have used reliably.

Please let me know if you use them. I'd like to know how they did.

Awesome, I am going to take you up on that. Have you guys always stayed at lodges like that one, or is there more economical ways to get it done and get the experience. My wife and I love to travel and might have to work this in around Peru and Italy in the next 3 years.
Unfortunately, although it is possible to stay at lower end lodges, or even do your own safaris in the national parks like Kruger Park in South Africa, I would not recommend it. The cheapest lodges like Mala Mala in South Africa are now about $700-800 pppn. (per person per night). That includes three meals, two games daily and a wonderful individual unit with two king beds, AC, internet, twin bathrooms, etc. I would highly recommend Mala Mala As a starter lodge. They have a wonderful array of wildlife- lots of lions and leopards, and everything else. The guides are superb and the vehicles are excellent for photography, providing a crossbar for a clamp to hold the 600 mm lens. I am attaching 3 images showing the vehicle and my lens set up (rented 600mm Nikon f/4.0 lens),. and Gimbal. Also a big male leopard taken with that same lens.

Attachments

• 001-Male Leopard-Duma Tau-AFR_1301.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 043-Daniel-Dale-Carol-Julie-Holden in MalaMala vehicle.JPG
    043-Daniel-Dale-Carol-Julie-Holden in MalaMala vehicle.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 4
  • 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Not just safari places downing drones either. I cant even fly around the tourist traps in my own country, New Zealand. Wanaka and Queenstown, both scenic beauties both outright ban drones and even if you go some distance from the central area you run across civil aviation restrictions.
I am finding it rather discouraging as I love the view from the air.

I understand the caa reasons for safety and probably the menace of drones around the towns, but it is quite a damper on the enjoyment the aerial view brings. I do manage to find some places to fly, but always have that nagging feeling i might still be treading on someones flowers. It seems as though it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. And as for line of sight.....the mavic is so small and the grey colour blends so well with the background that i can usually hear it before i can see it. Might have to get a bright coloured skin for it, but it is still a small object in the sky to spot.

Thats got that off my chest. Thanks

Not just safari places downing drones either. I cant even fly around the tourist traps in my own country, New Zealand. Wanaka and Queenstown, both scenic beauties both outright ban drones and even if you go some distance from the central area you run across civil aviation restrictions.
I am finding it rather discouraging as I love the view from the air.

I understand the caa reasons for safety and probably the menace of drones around the towns, but it is quite a damper on the enjoyment the aerial view brings. I do manage to find some places to fly, but always have that nagging feeling i might still be treading on someones flowers. It seems as though it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. And as for line of sight.....the mavic is so small and the grey colour blends so well with the background that i can usually hear it before i can see it. Might have to get a bright coloured skin for it, but it is still a small object in the sky to spot.

Thats got that off my chest. Thanks
I am well familiar with the tourist meccas of New Zealand/ We spent a heavenly 3-4 days near Queenstown at a luxury lodge on the Glenorchy road about 30 minutes from town. Can't find it on the map now. Took a helicopter tour landing on glaciers, and Routeborn Track and seal colony. Also Shotover river ride, etc. Did trout fly fishing for a day (cost me a fortune). Spectacular area. What a shame you are not allowed to fly there. I am sure that you can find some inventive ways to get up in the air and not be caught. As the saying goes, fly now and ask questions later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent