DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use VPN to trick Mavic Mini thinking its in USA to fly further??

maxb

Reactions
Would using a VPN on a USA version mavic mini, help trick the drone to think its in USA when it's really in europe, enabling it to fly further?

AFAIK you don't need a network connection to fly - and position is determined via GPS....

AFAIK you don't need a network connection to fly - and position is determined via GPS....
Wrong!!
GPS is not a factor, and there are two differant models...
So in Europe, with a US drone, you would fly FCC, apparently, you get a warning about your illegal activity????

From what I read on the web the FCC (US) models automatically reduce the transmission power to a legal level when operated in CE region - which is determined by GPS (and most probably checked against the map data in the firmware)

So flying an US Mavic Mini in Europe still uses the same radio channels, but at limited power and with no chance to switch to 2.4GHz band

The Mavic Mini has physically different controller and drone hardware on CE and FCC versions. Presumably DJI got a slap on the wrist about how people have been getting higher power output from CE models with firmware hacks.

The FCC one has some RF amplifiers which the CE does not have. So, it is not physically possible to get more power from the CE version.

• Wow
Reactions: dawgpilot
From what I read on the web the FCC (US) models automatically reduce the transmission power to a legal level when operated in CE region - which is determined by GPS (and most probably checked against the map data in the firmware)

So flying an US Mavic Mini in Europe still uses the same radio channels, but at limited power and with no chance to switch to 2.4GHz band
Please show where you read this, because it is incorrect.
mini power.jpg

By people actually looking at the chips on the board and using an FCC version in CE location, as well as using Fake GPS and observing response.

Think about it. How else is DJI going to keep tourists legal bringing their FCC model to CE locations?

So they are not the same as the Pro? Where all say something like “new location detected etc.” If you click yes when moving to a CE location it drops the output power. If you don’t click yes, you can close the message and fly on full FCC power (illegally).
A fixed CE model would make more sense, but why would anyone want one, if they could get FCC, and (if they drop power in CE areas) fly everywhere at full legal power, including FCC where it’s ok?
The only difference I was aware of was the Japanese one, that is the same as others but with a lighter (less powerful) battery.
I would definitely be importing a US model if I lived in a CE area if that power limit story is true. Sounds very odd to me...

Last edited:
Please read a convaluted thread!!

Reactions: Downsmike
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure