DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using IPad Mini 2 non cellular

Conkris

Reactions
I would like to have a larger screen for flying my MP.....the eyes aren't what they used to be. I have a chance to buy a IPad mini 2 like new (non Cellular) cheap. I know I can cache the map for the intended flying area via wifi at home prior to flying, but can I set my phone as a wifi hotspot ( on site) tethering the IPad Mini 2, resulting in the same live real time map/data/position, I currently get using the IPhone on my unlimited cell plan ??? In other words, get the same fluid real time map data I'm used to with the phone....only bigger !!!!

The Ipad mini 2 is not really recommended for the DJI Go 4 app used with the Mavic Pro, the cpu is bordering on not powerful enough for the processing it needs to do.
You may get dropped frames/ image issues/ screen freezes and you will most probably not be able to cache the video due to the performance impact.

You may be able to get away with using the Litichi app, which appears to be less cpu intensive than the bloated DJI Go4

Ipad Mini 4 and 5's are more capable in handling the larger DJI Go 4 processing requirements, but they are unfortunately more expensive

Last edited:
I would like to have a larger screen for flying my MP.....the eyes aren't what they used to be. I have a chance to buy a IPad mini 2 like new (non Cellular) cheap. I know I can cache the map for the intended flying area via wifi at home prior to flying, but can I set my phone as a wifi hotspot ( on site) tethering the IPad Mini 2, resulting in the same live real time map/data/position, I currently get using the IPhone on my unlimited cell plan ??? In other words, get the same fluid real time map data I'm used to with the phone....only bigger !!!!

I have a ipad 2 that I use with my Mavic Pro and the new version of DJI no longer works. My screen will freeze up in flight and renders
me unable to fly FPV. I now use Litchi which is less of a resource hog
and works as well as DJI

Good luck, hope you find one that fits your needs. I tried to get an Apple refurbished mini 4 with 32-64 GB from their website. I wanted a new battery and warranty. I checked a few times a day for almost 2 weeks and with no luck The best I could find was 128 GB that was almost the same price as new mini 5 with 64 GB so I went with a new one. Love the processing speed and have no problems at all with any of the display cut off using Go 4.

Off the topic, but I'm using a big *** Samsung Galaxy tab S4. Plenty of CPU power and memory and huge screen. Love flying with it!

Off the topic, but I'm using a big *** Samsung Galaxy tab S4. Plenty of CPU power and memory and huge screen. Love flying with it!

A big screen is great, but for me the Ipad Mini is the perfect size as it fits in the jaws of the controller without any extra mounts etc.

Reactions: Roostertails
To mirror what others have said, the iPad 2 Mini may not be powerful enough. However, just to let you know from my experience of owning a WiFi only iPad you can tether it to your phone so no need to cache the maps.

I bought the Ipad mini 4....so far, it's running great...haven't completely set up, holidays and weather don't leave much free time...love the size and the way it fits the MP controller. No DJI Go 4 installed yet....I thought I can set up a WIFI hot spot on phone and tether the Mini....planned on testing this week, but thanks for confirming my hopes....Looking forward to Spring. :cool:

I think that the iPad mini is the perfect size.The last couple times I have flown I closed the map feature and in its location used the histogram instead. I find that I use the map less and less and once my flight area is cached I always have access to it. Hope you get all set up soon and weather cooperates for you.

Thanks to all who responded. I bought my MP early fall from a friend's son. Like new condition. I flew 14 flights before weather turned. Love it. Only issue is my ole eyes don't like the Iphone 6S screen !!!

I do have one more question.....do I simply plug in the Ipad Mini 4 as I would my Iphone 6S.....and will the DJI Go4 settings be there unchanged ??? My set up procedure is, power on RC controller, power on MP, wait for connection, plug Iphone into controller ( I use USB...hate the micro USB plug) check Sats, batteries, home point , etc. fly, smile a lot, land, power off MP, power off Controller, exit DJI Go 4 app....

I use the controller USB port to lightning on the iPad mini using a 12” cable. I usually turn off the battery on the MPP first in the shut down sequence.

Yes, I also power off the MP (Quad) Battery 1st....then the controller and app....Will the DJI Go4 settings from when I used the Iphone 6s be there (unchanged) if I simply plug in the Mini 4 in place of the phone in my normal procedure? Obviously I will check, just asking so if necessary I can do at home vs arriving at flying site and having to go thru all settings there..

Thanks

No, your settings from before will have to be made again, the Ipad Mini will need to have a fresh version of DJI Go 4 installed on it from the Apple App store.
Once the settings have been made, DJI Go4 should retain them until there is an update to the app

I use the usb connector at the bottom of the controller to connect to the Ipad Mini, using a shorter lighting to usb cable
I think with the Iphone 6 you would have connected at the side of remote controller to the micro usb port, so this will be different
You'll still need to use the micro usb port to charge the remote controller

I understand. Actually I used a 12 inch right angle Controller USB to the lightning (Iphone) because I don't care for the side Micro USB receptacle. Micro USB is too easy to plug in wrong, so I use it only for charging. Guess I better write down my settings....:rolleyes: And yes, I'm aware I need to install the app on the Mini....Guess I hoped maybe the settings were saved on the MP itself...

Thanks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13