DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Litchi in LAANC approved restricted areas- Need to unlock like DJI apps?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I got hamstrung today in fringe Class D airspace where I had LAANC authorization to fly. Unfortunately I did not know that I needed special authorization from DJI to unlock my M2 and Mini to fly in that space. All I wanted to do was inspect my neighbor's roof for him and he is 3 blocks inside of the restricted space. Again, I had a LAANC code.... but totally locked out and there was no indicator in either DJI app to tell me how to get unlocked. Totally frustrated.

I hadn't thought to try using the Litchi app then. But as it has most of the same features (and more) as DJI Go4 and Fly apps, I was wondering if there was something different that I had to/have to know about Litchi. One of my upcoming missions will be, again on a Class D fringe area near a regional airport. I'd gotten LAANC authorization for this mission before but got rained out before flying it. I'm just glad I hadn't driven an hour to be frustrated like I was today.

So... Is there anything different in Litchi that makes it easier to get past DJI's geo-fencing???

TIA

I got hamstrung today in fringe Class D airspace where I had LAANC authorization to fly. Unfortunately I did not know that I needed special authorization from DJI to unlock my M2 and Mini to fly in that space. All I wanted to do was inspect my neighbor's roof for him and he is 3 blocks inside of the restricted space. Again, I had a LAANC code.... but totally locked out and there was no indicator in either DJI app to tell me how to get unlocked. Totally frustrated.

I hadn't thought to try using the Litchi app then. But as it has most of the same features (and more) as DJI Go4 and Fly apps, I was wondering if there was something different that I had to/have to know about Litchi. One of my upcoming missions will be, again on a Class D fringe area near a regional airport. I'd gotten LAANC authorization for this mission before but got rained out before flying it. I'm just glad I hadn't driven an hour to be frustrated like I was today.

So... Is there anything different in Litchi that makes it easier to get past DJI's geo-fencing???

TIA
Like I said in your other post about this the GeoZones are on the aircraft not the app.

To fly in a Geozone in Litchi you’d have to unlock the aircraft in DJI Go 4 and transfer the unlock to the drone and THEN open Litchi.

TIA

Just try to start the motors in DJI GO 4, it should pop up a box asking you to confirm you are permitted to fly there. After you complete the unlock, you can switch over to using Lichi.

Just try to start the motors in DJI GO 4, it should pop up a box asking you to confirm you are permitted to fly there. After you complete the unlock, you can switch over to using Lichi.
I wasn't even trying to use Litchi initially, just DJI Go4, then Fly, with my Mini. I did try to start the motors, and a box did pop up, but every option was vague as to what the options were but none seemed functional and as clear as mud as to what to do. I finally got to a box that said "put information"... but it didn't say what information to put, or provide an option to add any text or paste (I tried pasting the LAANC authorization). Luckily I was at a friend's house and just wanted a peek at his roof. I had planned a flight an hour away, within Class D airspace, gotten authorization but canceled the trip the last minute. I would have been megapissed had I gotten out there, an hour away and run into this problem.

As advanced as DJI's technology and programming is it should almost be automatic. Honestly, Airmap and Kittyhawk are easier to get clearance with than DJI's software... software that already has your information stored within.

I wasn't even trying to use Litchi initially, just DJI Go4, then Fly, with my Mini. I did try to start the motors, and a box did pop up, but every option was vague as to what the options were but none seemed functional and as clear as mud as to what to do. I finally got to a box that said "put information"... but it didn't say what information to put, or provide an option to add any text or paste (I tried pasting the LAANC authorization). Luckily I was at a friend's house and just wanted a peek at his roof. I had planned a flight an hour away, within Class D airspace, gotten authorization but canceled the trip the last minute. I would have been megapissed had I gotten out there, an hour away and run into this problem.

As advanced as DJI's technology and programming is it should almost be automatic. Honestly, Airmap and Kittyhawk are easier to get clearance with than DJI's software... software that already has your information stored within.

DJI doesn't care about the LAANC code, that's a separate code that the FAA issues to track your request.

In DJI Fly, you just need to check all the various boxes on the pop-up confirming you have permission to fly there on the pop-up. You might need to confirm the SMS confirmation code from DJI. It's always been pretty straight forward in my experience.

Reactions: BigAl07
DJI doesn't care about the LAANC code, that's a separate code that the FAA issues to track your request.

In DJI Fly, you just need to check all the various boxes on the pop-up confirming you have permission to fly there on the pop-up. You might need to confirm the SMS confirmation code from DJI. It's always been pretty straight forward in my experience.

Thanks. I bypassed all that and got unlock features on both my M2 and Mini for those areas. It was kind of a pain as I had to turn on both drones to get the flight controller serial number. But I filled out the request in their custom unlock portal and got approval in minutes. Will it work when I get in the field? Only one way to find out.

I suppose I learned a lesson or two and reinforced some training that I already had. 1) I know to check airspace before flying. I already do that. 2) I know that if it is a new area I need to check ahead of leaving home to make sure I have no issues in the field, and request unlock from DJI before leaving home (and same with LAANC if possible). 3) I hate doing any of this stuff from my phone. Working from computer is so much easier, visually and inputting information. Same thing with Litchi. I much prefer pre-routing my missions from home than doing it on the fly in the field. I should probably buy a compatible tablet at some point.

It's been a learning experience. Thanks all for your help. Hopefully someone else will learn from this too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi