DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Mavic as a spotting scope

The Raven

Reactions
Anyone else try using their Mavic as a spotting tool for long range shooting? I loaned my Nightforce spotting scope out a couple of weeks ago and needed it yesterday, and suddenly realized I had a great way to check my 600 yard target . I put my Mavic in a hover about 20 feet to the side of my target, then got down on my .300WM and shot a group. Works great!

Made me think of maybe using it to carry a light mover, like a balloon on a long piece of string. That could be good fun

Good idea as long as it is out of the line of fire.

My friend and I thought about offering our Sparks to our local shooting club. $75 gets a member 4 "pulls" at it. If it gets blown out of the sky, it wont be missed that much.

Lol!

I was thinking of putting a 15’ piece of 550 cord and hanging a small balloon from it. This is for precision rifle shooting, where we are shooting 1 MOA targets or smaller on a regular basis- 15’ away is as safe as safe could be when you’re expecting to hit a 6” target every time.

Reactions: mad monkey
I have thought of using it for a similar purpose. I go out every now and then with my Dad and some friends and we shoot out 1-2 miles at 1-meter squares painted on sandstone cliffs. You can usually call the shots pretty well due to the nature of sandstone, but I had thought about putting the Mavic on the ground behind a rock and just using the FPV to more accurately call them.
Haven’t tried it yet though...

I have thought of using it for a similar purpose. I go out every now and then with my Dad and some friends and we shoot out 1-2 miles at 1-meter squares painted on sandstone cliffs. You can usually call the shots pretty well due to the nature of sandstone, but I had thought about putting the Mavic on the ground behind a rock and just using the FPV to more accurately call them.
Haven’t tried it yet though...

2 miles?? With what?

We’re up at 7,000’.
I’ve only been out 1.5 miles, but I believe my Dad has gone farther. Super fun to get out and do!

Oh, hell yeah, that explains it :D my air is like shooting under water compared to yours. :D

Reactions: MavicCF
We’re up at 7,000’.
I’ve only been out 1.5 miles, but I believe my Dad has gone farther. Super fun to get out and do!

How does that affect your Mavic? Less battery life, less performance generally?

Anyone else try using their Mavic as a spotting tool for long range shooting? I loaned my Nightforce spotting scope out a couple of weeks ago and needed it yesterday, and suddenly realized I had a great way to check my 600 yard target . I put my Mavic in a hover about 20 feet to the side of my target, then got down on my .300WM and shot a group. Works great!

Made me think of maybe using it to carry a light mover, like a balloon on a long piece of string. That could be good fun
I gotta tell my buddy this. He's an avid hunter and paper puncher. He asked if I could tow an aerial target behind my drone. I told him to buy one and we'd find out.

I gotta tell my buddy this. He's an avid hunter and paper puncher. He asked if I could tow an aerial target behind my drone. I told him to buy one and we'd find out.

No reason we can’t hang a balloon, is there? The downdraft should keep the 550 cord down, I would think.

Lol. That’s a great idea! If you figure out how to tape the holes for the next volley, let me know!

I usually use a target with four to six bulls on it so I don’t have to go down range and change them out as frequently :D

How does that affect your Mavic? Less battery life, less performance generally?
I get about a maximum of 18 minutes per battery, which kinda sucks, but I’m used to it. I don’t notice any real performance problems, although I’m sure it has to work harder to ascend...

Reactions: Former Member
I get about a maximum of 18 minutes per battery, which kinda sucks, but I’m used to it. I don’t notice any real performance problems, although I’m sure it has to work harder to ascend...

Wow. Well, that makes perfect sense. I get well over 22 minutes per, at least.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98