DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using Phone as Controller with Litchi

Scottalmas

Reactions
I've searched the forums and cannot seem to locate the answer to this. My apologies if it's there but I missed it.

My questions: Can I use my iPhone (without the RC) to fly my Mavic Air (v1) using Litchi? I ask because I am looking for a work around to the 100m limit on Active Track when flying without a controller. I was hoping that if I used Litchi, perhaps I could get more than 100m of Active Track without using the RC.

When I connect my iPhone 8 to my MA via wifi and load Litchi, I can see the camera is working, but it says "Disconnected" at the top and I don't have any way to control the MA. Taping the Litchi Takeoff icon asks to confirm, but pressing the confirm button does not cause the MA to take off. :-(

I am using Litchi v2.9 (beta)

Thanks for any help.

No, Litchi won't work without connecting to the AC via the remote controller
It will work with the wi-fi of the Spark, but that is still only connecting to the controller via wi-fi instead of a cable
As you mentioned without the controller there is no way to control the MA

The Mavic Pro can use DJI Go4 to fly via a wi-fi connection to the phone without a controller but in this mode the range of the intelligent flight modes are restricted in distance e.g 50m

Thanks for the quick response. That's a real bummer. I was really hoping Litchi would add that ability to the MM in the beta. I seriously don't see the Mini as ultraportable and convenient if you have to use the controller for a simple dronie mission or a quick selfie, etc. I love that about my Mavic Air but hate being constrained to 100m Active Track missions.

Actually maybe with Litchi I think the phone can be used as the controller, in the Litchi follow mode settings there is a command to enable "RC joystick" which enables virtual joysticks on the phone
This I believe allows you to control the AC during the follow mode

Similar thread to yours

Last edited:
@lannes - did you ever find a way of getting Litchi to work with the Air without an RC ?

So I have now found that there was no problem to control the Air without an RC using Litchi. You can toggle the virtual joysticks by tapping on the "RC Battery/Virtual Joysticks" icon on the top left part of the screen.

However "Follow Mode" does not engage when no RC is connected and I also understand that "Waypoints" will not get uploaded to the Air.

Tracking works fine though and the "100 meter" limit present in DJI GO 4 when tracking without the RC is not enforced. Unfortunately there is no profile mode. Even if you place the Air in a side position it will place itself behind the object being tracked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys