Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Tracking >100m from home when using only phone?

zamboni

Reaction score
My MA seems to be working correctly, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it do what i want. Hoping for some suggestions?

I want the MA to track me while i ride across large open fields on my mountain bike, without using the RC. Whenever possible, i fly with it, but the RC is not practical for carrying on the bike. There's no place to put it while i ride that it won't get rattled, or the phone fall off, or a stick gets bumped and cancels ActiveTrack. At best, the video won't happen; at worst, the RC / phone will get damaged.

ActiveTrack works at first, but as i ride away from the starting point, the MA stops and hovers once its 100m from the HP. I understand why this limit exists; the control range of the phone by itself is not very long. But the MA is tracking me (and thus, my phone) so it's not at risk of going out of range so long as it does its job. Of course, DJI Go doesn't know this. But is there a way to get this to work? I'd really like a tracking shot that lasts for more than a few hundred feet, but using the RC just isn't an option. Is there some way to work around these limitations? Or am i just asking for more than the MA is meant to do?

I have tried setting the phone location as the HP, in the hope that this would result in a "mobile HP" (even though i fully expect it won't). But DJI Go always claims weak GPS signal so i have never been able to actually try it...kinda frustrating as i'm literally at 11k feet and on top of a mountain in crystal blue skies, so i can see a bajillion satellites.

No mods on the MA; it's nearly new and no crashes, current firmware. iPhone 7 with a thin plastic-only case, also current on software updates and DJI app updates.

Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks!

charlas

Reaction score
My MA seems to be working correctly, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it do what i want. Hoping for some suggestions?

I want the MA to track me while i ride across large open fields on my mountain bike, without using the RC. Whenever possible, i fly with it, but the RC is not practical for carrying on the bike. There's no place to put it while i ride that it won't get rattled, or the phone fall off, or a stick gets bumped and cancels ActiveTrack. At best, the video won't happen; at worst, the RC / phone will get damaged.

ActiveTrack works at first, but as i ride away from the starting point, the MA stops and hovers once its 100m from the HP. I understand why this limit exists; the control range of the phone by itself is not very long. But the MA is tracking me (and thus, my phone) so it's not at risk of going out of range so long as it does its job. Of course, DJI Go doesn't know this. But is there a way to get this to work? I'd really like a tracking shot that lasts for more than a few hundred feet, but using the RC just isn't an option. Is there some way to work around these limitations? Or am i just asking for more than the MA is meant to do?

I have tried setting the phone location as the HP, in the hope that this would result in a "mobile HP" (even though i fully expect it won't). But DJI Go always claims weak GPS signal so i have never been able to actually try it...kinda frustrating as i'm literally at 11k feet and on top of a mountain in crystal blue skies, so i can see a bajillion satellites.

No mods on the MA; it's nearly new and no crashes, current firmware. iPhone 7 with a thin plastic-only case, also current on software updates and DJI app updates.

Any advice or input is appreciated. Thanks!
Best thing I could recommend is litchi, it has an app you can install on any phone that allows you to set that phone as the track location. Not used it in anger as such, but works from what I've tried.

Reactions: zamboni

zamboni

Reaction score
Thanks @charlas , i was kinda interested in litchi anyway but didn't have a "good reason" to spend the $25 on the app. Combined with the ability to save/fly waypoint missions, the app would be worth the price to get what i want out of the MA...but at the same time i'm hesitant to buy it without being pretty sure it would actually work as you describe. Too bad there's no free demo.

Can anybody verify that Litchi will follow my phone (no RC) without being restricted by distance from the take-off homepoint?

charlas

Reaction score
Thanks @charlas , i was kinda interested in litchi anyway but didn't have a "good reason" to spend the $25 on the app. Combined with the ability to save/fly waypoint missions, the app would be worth the price to get what i want out of the MA...but at the same time i'm hesitant to buy it without being pretty sure it would actually work as you describe. Too bad there's no free demo.

Can anybody verify that Litchi will follow my phone (no RC) without being restricted by distance from the take-off homepoint?
Help - Litchi

Says it should, just remember the magic leash app only works on android at the moment

zamboni

Reaction score
Hm, sounds like i'm out of luck, as i don't have any Androids lying around, and even if i did, the help states that both devices must have an internet connection which not only means paying for a SIM for the 'target' device, but being someplace that actually has signal...that help page also makes it sound like magic leash runs on a *second* device in addition to the one used to launch/control the MA, because otherwise i'd lave to launch the MA, then switch Litchi to the background to run "magic leash" and i'm confused about how i'd manage running both apps at the same time.

I supposed i could wait for DJI to add this feature to their app...but from my short time on this forum it sounds like that's a pretty hopeless wish ; )

charlas

Reaction score
It does run on a second device, but the functionality is built into the primary App on Adnroid as well, so this just allows you to pop on a secondary android device and pop in kids/wifes/car/bike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joaopedr