DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using the M3’s camera while not in flight

MikeinMO

Reactions
Hello there.

I’m a Part 107 flyer and used the Mavic 3. In addition to the drone’s video, I also film with a iPhone 12 Pro Max and an iPhone X, and use them to get audio, when needed for my project. They’ve worked for me and I’ve avoided dumping money into a DSLR or something as a result. I use Adobe CC on a MacBook for editing photos and videos.

I was wondering if anyone’s used their drone’s camera while not in flight? Basically holding the drone or having it sitting on something (a table) and capturing video? Using the drone like a gimbal to get video? Is there an attachment or something for the M3 where I could put it on a tripod? The M3 is a fantastic drone with a fantastic camera, and I’m wondering if/how I can use it for recording video without actually flying. The iPhones would get my audio. The props couldn’t be on. They when I wanted to get drone footage, I’d just launch the drone. So basically using the M3’s camera in place of one of the iPhones.

Thanks. I’m sort of thinking out loud here. Hopefully that made sense.

I'm also thinking that overheating could become a problem. The drone directs some of the propwash from the rear props in through the body for active cooling. Perhaps a small fan blowing over the drone could help.

A few years ago I played with a Neewer Handheld Stabilizer with my DSLRs and got fairly good results. Got better stabilizing when I experimenting shooting the same video (and some still shots) with my Mini 1. I did cool the Mini using a small 5v fan that I powered with a 1 cell (3.3v) lipo. I blew enough to keep the drone cool and it was quiet. Didn't go any further with that idea as the Mini 1 didn't shoot 4k.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I'm also thinking that overheating could become a problem. The drone directs some of the propwash from the rear props in through the body for active cooling. Perhaps a small fan blowing over the drone could help.
I’m using the Mavic 3. Sorry for the confusion, as I posted in the Mini 3 section and not the Mavic 3 section.

Good thought about the heating issue. I assume the Mavic 3 would have the same issue with the heat.

Reactions: Torque
I've experienced a lot of confusions lately with all the abbreviations, especially for the controllers (SC, RC, RC Pro) and now the drones ... 😂

Last edited:
I've experienced a lot of confusions lately with all the abbreviations, especially for the controllers (SC, RC, RC Pro) and now the drones ... 😂

Exactly. Use FULL acronyms, but never use shortened nick names, dropping the Pro. It just compounds the problem when the nickname is then converted to an acronym.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I wonder what the battery life would be for the Mavic 3 if used in this way. I am betting that it would be significantly longer than 38 minutes.

Reactions: MikeinMO
That’s exactly what I was needing! Thank you!

I assume I’d unfold the Mavic 3, turn it and the controller on, then fold it back up and attach it to the gimbal bracket. See any issue with doing that? I don’t believe I’ve ever turned on my drones and then folded them up while still powered on. What’s your thought about the heat issue? The internal fans be enough to keep it cool?

Reactions: Torque and MA2 317
I wonder what the battery life would be for the Mavic 3 if used in this way. I am betting that it would be significantly longer than 38 minutes.
I agree. Without the motors spinning around and inflight, I’m sure the batteries would last a while. My only concern would be the heat issue others mentioned.

Please don’t shorten Mini 3 Pro to Mini 3, because as soon as you do, people resort to calling it the M3, creating the very confusion we are seeing! It's proper name is the Mini 3 Pro, and if they then shorten it to the M3P, there will still be no confusion, as there is no Mavic 3 Pro.
Not that I have a right to participate in this debate as I have neither drone but I think Mini 3 is an apt term for the mini 3 pro. The reason being three fold
1) there is no "mini 3" so I see no need for the additional "Pro" in DJI's chosen name.
2) the term "Mini 2" seems to have been accepted for the Mini 2 with no need to abbreviate it to M2.
3) I would not be surprised to see a Mavic 3 Pro somewhere in the not too distant future and since the Mavic 3 has an existing accepted abbreviation of "M3" it would seem logical to me to reserve "M3P" in anticipation of the arrival of a Mavic 3 Pro.

Reactions: old man mavic
I use the DJI Pocket 2 for stabilized video, but the battery life is less than 30 minutes. It no longer will charge beyond 85%. Perhaps using my Mavic 3 would solve this limitation.

Hello there.

I’m a Part 107 flyer and used the Mavic 3. In addition to the drone’s video, I also film with a iPhone 12 Pro Max and an iPhone X, and use them to get audio, when needed for my project. They’ve worked for me and I’ve avoided dumping money into a DSLR or something as a result. I use Adobe CC on a MacBook for editing photos and videos.

I was wondering if anyone’s used their drone’s camera while not in flight? Basically holding the drone or having it sitting on something (a table) and capturing video? Using the drone like a gimbal to get video? Is there an attachment or something for the M3 where I could put it on a tripod? The M3 is a fantastic drone with a fantastic camera, and I’m wondering if/how I can use it for recording video without actually flying. The iPhones would get my audio. The props couldn’t be on. They when I wanted to get drone footage, I’d just launch the drone. So basically using the M3’s camera in place of one of the iPhones.

Thanks. I’m sort of thinking out loud here. Hopefully that made sense.
I’ve used both a Mavic Air 2 and an Autel Evo as a walking gimbal. No issues with overheating. I have also thought about attaching the MA2 on some kind of ‘stick’ to the roof of my car so that I can do a mock fly through our town’s main shopping areas without running foul of the sky gods. Haven’t yet figured out the safest way to mount it.

Reactions: MikeinMO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS