DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Utah trip

Hayabusa

Reactions
wifes going to Utah for work. I might go up for a weekend. She’s staying in downtown salt lake. I would like to bring the Mavic when I go since she will actually be working during day so I’ll have a day or 2 to get out and explore/fly.
Can anyone who lives there or has flown recommend any specific spots relatively near or within a Uber drive. Plus any DO NOT fly areas.
I’ll have to read up on traveling/flying with the Mavic.
Thanks
Mike

I should be working kindly responded to the same question for me. I leave Sunday for SLC and return Friday. Hope to go to all 3 of his recommended places.

Hey Scott! Sure! I can point you to a few places. Most of downtown Salt Lake is within 5 miles of Salt Lake International airport, so hopefully you've got some ground transportation to get you outside the city.

- The Black Rock - where I shot that sunset video from the other day is a fun destination especially when the sun is going down. Google Maps
- There are also all kinds of beautiful canyons with spring vegetation. I did some shooting in Big Cottonwood Canyon over the winter. It's not more than 30 minutes from downtown Salt Lake and is really beautiful this time of year. There are some great small lakes and waterfalls up there too if you don't mind a bit of a hike. Google Maps
- If you've got the time to go for a drive, the Bonneville Salt Flats are a really unique feature to shoot. I've been meaning to get out there at sunset and fly over the otherworldly salt features west of the lake. Maybe you'll beat me to it. Google Maps

Hope that helps! Let me know where you end up deciding to go. There's lots of open space to explore.

IShouldBeWorking, Yesterday at 5:43 PM

I should be working kindly responded to the same question for me. I leave Sunday for SLC and return Friday. Hope to go to all 3 of his recommended places.

Hey Scott! Sure! I can point you to a few places. Most of downtown Salt Lake is within 5 miles of Salt Lake International airport, so hopefully you've got some ground transportation to get you outside the city.

- The Black Rock - where I shot that sunset video from the other day is a fun destination especially when the sun is going down. Google Maps
- There are also all kinds of beautiful canyons with spring vegetation. I did some shooting in Big Cottonwood Canyon over the winter. It's not more than 30 minutes from downtown Salt Lake and is really beautiful this time of year. There are some great small lakes and waterfalls up there too if you don't mind a bit of a hike. Google Maps
- If you've got the time to go for a drive, the Bonneville Salt Flats are a really unique feature to shoot. I've been meaning to get out there at sunset and fly over the otherworldly salt features west of the lake. Maybe you'll beat me to it. Google Maps

Hope that helps! Let me know where you end up deciding to go. There's lots of open space to explore.

IShouldBeWorking, Yesterday at 5:43 PM

Thanks so much!
Ordered a case for goggles and some lipo bags.
Wasn’t really planning on going. I’m not really exploring or sire swing but can’t pass up this opportunity to get out and fly something a little bumpier than FL.
Mike

If you haven't been, Salt Lake City is amazing. I've been out a few times for work but this upcoming trip is going to have plenty of free time to explore. If you get a chance google the sights "I Should be working" suggested and it will blow you away. In regards to flying, I take my drone quite often and carry it on board and have never been asked a thing about it. Have fun.

I was motorcycling in UT last week and I noticed a big billboard coming into Vernal that drone flying near wildfires is illegal. Guessing they had some problems and are taking their drone laws seriously.

I see a lot of state parks etc....
How can I check an area to make sure it’s legal. If I’m driving and see a cool spot, how do I know if it’s not part of a restricted area?

I see a lot of state parks etc....
How can I check an area to make sure it’s legal. If I’m driving and see a cool spot, how do I know if it’s not part of a restricted area?
AirMap is a good app to have. It shows all restrictions.

Also, (and i say this with caution) be aware if you're flying for fun, you can do so WITHIN THE REGULATIONS inside the outer limits of an airfield as long as you inform ATC. a lot of airfields can be notified from within the AirMap app but for others it will provide a phone number to call and inform them. Please do read the regulations in the app first though as it explains all there.

Also the djiGo4 app has a section with geofenced areas marked that will show where the app will actually block you from taking off or flying into certain areas.

I hope this helps!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose