DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Variable vs fixed ND filters? Which is a better value and where can I get QUALITY filters?

BrianA

Reactions
I have been looking for specific ND filter sets for my Mini 2. I would like the metal frame versions but I also would like to have the ND 4/8/16/32 set. So far, I have not been able to find that combo. I don't want the CPL filter as I will never use one. My other question is does anyone sell a variable version of these? Any pros and/or cons to either?

A few flights ago I started using my newly acquired Polar Pro variable ND filters. As I was very skeptical about VND filters (since they use two (one rotatable) polarized filters) about potential vignetting especially in full bright sunlight shots. But given all the raving reviews, I figured I could give them a try. I mostly shoot video so ND filters are important.
The first video I shot with a VND was with overcast and the rest with mostly full sun at different times. The overcast shot looked good with no (or very insignificant) vignetting with the filter used at position 2 (not very bright day). Today I shot with full sun and very clear morning light using position 5. The amount of vignetting on that video is terrible. While with Resolve, it is quite easy to fix I don't like it one bit. Very disappointing for an expensive Polar Pro filter.

Polar Pro makes good filters - no doubt. But they do no longer make fixed ND filters. They are either NDPL or VND. Since I got DJI filters (which are straight ND) with my A2S flymore kit, I am falling back to using them even though their optical material and coating are not as good as Polar Pro and they do produce a bit more aberrant light effects when used in direct sunlight than the Polar Pro NDPL or VND. I am very disappointed that Polar Pro does not make a basic fixed ND filter for the A2S.

I just bought a set of Skyreat filters. The "six pack" consists of UV, CPL, 8, 16, 32, and 64 filters. I'm not going to use the CPL and maybe just the UV for overcast/cloudy days. I haven't had the opportunity to take it out for a test run yet, but the Skyreat filters are highly recommended also. They are fixed and have aluminum frames and multicoated glass. The set was $50 USD. I would recommend these if you want the non-variable filters. I don't think you'll need an ND4, especially in bright sunlight. Just my $.02.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa