DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Velcro or Dual Lock Fastener ?

JoeyThePilot56

Reactions
Greeting folks,
Just got my Firehouse Arc 5 anti-collision light and would like to know what type of velcro or dual lock type velcro(Fastener) you guys use to secure your light ? My plan is to place the light on the battery as far forward I can without blocking the power switch. I have 5 batteries and would like to switch my light from one battery to the next. My fear is the light coming off and breaking a prop and I guess you guys know the rest..... Thank you !

Reactions: JackL
Which drone do you have and why do you intend on placing it on the battery, presumably on top of the drone? While I have velcro on top and bottom my my drones I tend to put the strobes on the bottom so I can see them from below.

As far as velcro goes, I am now using heavy duty velcro, but not the velcro that is supplied by Firehouse. For whatever reason their velcro tends to stop holding rather quickly. I had one of their strobes fall off mid flight, never to be seen again. I recently lost another one in a minor crash which was essentially an entanglement with the end of a tree branch. I believe that regular heavy duty velcro would have held. On my Mavic 2 I have two strobes on the arms held by both velcro and elastic bands.

Below is a photo of my Mini or Mini 2 with R/G lights on the arms and an Arc V mounted below. Again, I have the option of mounting on top but rarely do. However the top velcro is great for storing the light when the drone sits in the case.

IMG_1955.jpg

Thank you very much for your reply and the image depicting were you mounted your strobes. I have the Mavic Air 2. The reason I was thinking about mounting it on top was to have better collision avoidance while flying at night. I was told by a few other folks that the strobe is really for other manned aircrafts that are flying over you to see your drone hence that's why it's mounted on the top. Also, I've heard that mounting it towards the front it's possible to get interference with the GPS and compass system ? I'm always open to all suggestions since I'm new to this. BTW, I'm a private pilot and used to fly own my own Cessna 172 that I sold. I used to commute between construction sites here in Florida when I had my own Mechanical engineering business. I'm retired now and I fly fix wing that I rent at my local FBO with my grand kids and other family members.

Greeting folks,
Just got my Firehouse Arc 5 anti-collision light and would like to know what type of velcro or dual lock type velcro(Fastener) you guys use to secure your light ? My plan is to place the light on the battery as far forward I can without blocking the power switch. I have 5 batteries and would like to switch my light from one battery to the next. My fear is the light coming off and breaking a prop and I guess you guys know the rest..... Thank you !

Wow I'm getting this thing right now and will probably put it on the bottom. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!!

Reactions: JoeyThePilot56
Wow I'm getting this thing right now and will probably put it on the bottom. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!!
If you’re going to fly at night I will suggest getting a second light for the top. The strobes, in my opinion, have two missions: to alert other aircraft that you were nearby, and to allow you to keep good visual sighting of your drone. When I fly at night I typically have four strobes on my Mavic 2. One on the top, one on the bottom, both clear, and red green on the front. On a clear night over water I’ve been able to spot my drone as far as 10,000 feet out. I use the red green in the front so I can observe the orientation whis facing me when it is facing me so I know how to push the sticks.

I have owned minis and a mavic2 And I’ve never had compass interference regardless of where I placed the strokes.

Last edited:
If you’re going to fly at night I will suggest getting a second light for the top. The strobes, in my opinion, have two missions: to alert other aircraft that you were nearby, and to allow you to keep good visual sighting of your drone. When I fly at night I typically have four strobes on my Mavic two. One on the top, one on the bottom, both clear, and red green on the front. On a clear light over water I’ve been able to spot my drone as far as 10,000 feet out. I use the red green in the front so I can observe the orientation whis facing me when it is facing me so I know how to push the sticks.

I have owned minis and a mavic2 And I’ve never had compass interference regardless of where I placed the strokes.

I mainly want it to make a water recovery easier. I am a long way from trying to fly at night! Good to know you can put strobes all over the drone without any compass or GPS issues though. I didn't expect that.

Greeting folks,
I would imagine by now you've figured out putting it on a battery(ies) is not a good idea.
I have a MA2 with that particular light attached to it with double sided velcro tape mounted directly in front of the battery compartment.
I never remove it (I charge it while it's on the drone) and it has never caused any issues flying.
I not only use it at night but in the daytime also as it has a beeper that will start if it sits still for 3 minutes...I've never had to use "Find my drone" but it's good to know I have a backup.

Greeting folks,
Hi, I sell both products and Dual Lock is much stronger than Velcro although it is thicker when engaged

Reactions: MA2 317
dual lock type velcro(Fastener)

Scotch brand fasteners is what I used for the Spark and MA2 when I was using the (2) LED Firehouse strobes.

I have since purchased a four pack of the Arc V's and Aerial-Pixel has nice 3-d printed strobe holders that attach to the arms.

He also has a mount for the top that fits on the battery.

Check 'em out.

Thanks for that link. I really like that holder that attaches to the battery. Great idea, kinda of pricey for a 3d printed plastic that probably runs about 3 dollars to produce, lol

Last edited:
I mainly want it to make a water recovery easier. I am a long way from trying to fly at night! Good to know you can put strobes all over the drone without any compass or GPS issues though. I didn't expect that.
If it's water you're worried about you should visit our forum member Phantomrain who sells UAV wet suits and drone flotation devices.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msporting