DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Vertical Filming vs Horizontal Filming

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Say NO to vertical videos!

I am with you guys and absolutely HATE vertical videos. I have a theory about why they have become so prevalent. In short, I think most people are just too lazy to turn there phone sideways and shoot video properly. Coupled with the fact that the majority of the younger generation (yes I know I sound like an Old Man) will only consume video content on their phones which they hold vertically. That being said it still is wrong in my opinion. The question I always asks someone who questions me on why I don't like vertical videos is "Do you tilt your TV vertically at home to watch it?" So why would you shoot video that way then?

If someone were really smart and had the resources, they would design a phone case that had a pop-out stand that could be rotated and extended and become a handle to make filming videos the RIGHT way easy. Or maybe a case design where two cases are "nested" with one that can be pulled away from the back and rotated so that the user can still feel like they're holding the phone vertically. Or the phone OS might have a software option that would allow the filmer to hold the phone vertically, yet take/render the videos horizontally as they should be.

Additionally we should begin a campaign to make Insta/Twitter and similar social media rotate all of their content 90° so that the minions who use the platform would be "encouraged" to hold the phone horizontally, oriented like every other electronic device.

If someone were really smart and had the resources, they would design a phone case that had a pop-out stand that could be rotated and extended and become a handle to make filming videos the RIGHT way easy. Or maybe a case design where two cases are "nested" with one that can be pulled away from the back and rotated so that the user can still feel like they're holding the phone vertically. Or the phone OS might have a software option that would allow the filmer to hold the phone vertically, yet take/render the videos horizontally as they should be.

Additionally we should begin a campaign to make Insta/Twitter and similar social media rotate all of their content 90° so that the minions who use the platform would be "encouraged" to hold the phone horizontally, oriented like every other electronic device.
I see a lot of video news on the regular TV news, taken by vertical phones. The sides are all blurred. I always regret that this footage was not taken in the horizontal view.

I don't get the idea of vertical video, you are loosing so much data. I watch some news in a vertical format and say outload, you know if you turn the camera to a landscape format you will catch the complete scene! Probably the same reason I never tried to cook my chicken in NyQuil.

Can’t say I’m a fan of vertical video either but to each their own I guess. I do like having the option to rotate the camera on the Mini 3 for stills though.

Can’t say I’m a fan of vertical video either but to each their own I guess. I do like having the option to rotate the camera on the Mini 3 for stills though.
The benefit all depends on how much you want to enlarge the image ON PAPER, or have a need to crop top and/or bottom. Unless you're printing very large you can still crop horizontal stills into detailed vertical images on surprisingly large prints.

Reactions: Hands Down
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
If someone were really smart and had the resources, they would design a phone case that had a pop-out stand that could be rotated and extended and become a handle to make filming videos the RIGHT way easy. Or maybe a case design where two cases are "nested" with one that can be pulled away from the back and rotated so that the user can still feel like they're holding the phone vertically.

• Wow
Reactions: Tufargon
I am with you guys and absolutely HATE vertical videos. I have a theory about why they have become so prevalent. In short, I think most people are just too lazy to turn there phone sideways and shoot video properly. Coupled with the fact that the majority of the younger generation (yes I know I sound like an Old Man) will only consume video content on their phones which they hold vertically. That being said it still is wrong in my opinion. The question I always asks someone who questions me on why I don't like vertical videos is "Do you tilt your TV vertically at home to watch it?" So why would you shoot video that way then?

The main reason it has become so popular is because it is the only format allowed on TikTok.

The main reason it has become so popular is because it is the only format allowed on TikTok.
While this is true, people started shooting cell phone videos vertically several years ago, before there was a Tik Tok. The main reason Tik Tok adopted the vertical format is because so many people were shooting that way already. It all comes down to the vast majority of people don't even think about it and because it is easier to hold a phone vertically, they do it without even thinking. What needs to happen is phone manufacturers need to make phones shoot horizontally even when they are held vertically and, voila! problem solved.

I went back and watched this on my phone, in vertical orientation. I don’t think you published it as a YouTube “#short”. Do you know about those? They are presented as their own separate category, and only on the phone version of the app, I think. They also behave a little differently than a standard video in that they seem to fill up the whole screen in vertical orientation, and you can just quickly flip through different “shorts” by swiping up/down.

I think this would be a good candidate for that.

At least from what I can tell, YT is taking my subscriptions and watch history into account when selecting shorts for me to view, so it might show me yours based on my history of watching drone videos. There are some drone videos in my “shorts” feed already.

It’s kind of interesting. These “shorts” aren’t videos I’d normally watch. But maybe I would if I had a few minutes where I was just waiting on something or someone. Kind of like short-attention-span videos to fill some empty time…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaVVT