DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very disappointed in Mavic Pro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF, you're complaining about a cable being too short? Just buy a new, longer cable for $2? The connector to the remote is the old micro-usb.

Make sure when you plug your cable in on the bottom port that you remove the DJI cable from it last port or the other one won’t work.

Hello guys.
I just bought mavic pro fly more combo here in Toronto Canada.
I was so excited to start making videos, but once i assembled it i realize that i cannot connect my Phone Asus Zenfone 4 Max because it USB port is reversed and the cable is so short that no way to twist it and still have enough length. This is not the only phone that has USB port like that.
I am very disappointed spending $1500 canadian (on sale) and now what? Buy another phone just to fly my drone??? DJI could've think of that espevially for their very expensive product!
The wire that I need is nowhere to be found and even if there is, i do not see why do i have to spend more time amd money now since I already spent so much money!
My next drone I will get not DJI. I am very mad!
Is this for real? Are people really like this?

Hello guys.
I was so excited to start making videos, but once i assembled it i realize that i cannot connect my Phone Asus Zenfone 4 Max because it USB port is reversed and the cable is so short that no way to twist it and still have enough length. This is not the only phone that has USB port like that.
I am very disappointed spending $1500 canadian (on sale) and now what? Buy another phone just to fly my drone??? DJI could've think of that espevially for their very expensive product!
The wire that I need is nowhere to be found and even if there is, i do not see why do i have to spend more time amd money now since I already spent so much money!
Not sure why this is DJI's fault. A less expensive way than buying a new phone is to get something like an Ipad, which can be found on Amazon for about $300 or so Canadian. You do not need wifi to fly the Mavic. But if you want to take photos, you will want a phone or Ipad. The Mavic is one of the best items to come along in a long time. Find ways to enjoy it!

There appropriate length cables all over for purchase. While I understand your frustration, I think once you get this sorted out you will be very happy with your purchase. Best of luck and happy flying. I have only been flying for two weeks now and very happy with the results.

The Asus Zenfone 4 Max has a reverse Micro USB port on the bottom. Here are a few things you can do:

1) Buy a short reverse Micro USB cable to use in place of the cables that came with your Mavic Pro. Here are a few cables you could use:

2) Connect a Micro USB to USB cable between your phone and the USB port on the bottom of the remote controller. You can use the long Micro USB cable that came with your Mavic Pro or the cable you use to charge your phone (as long as it's not a charge-only cable). You'll need to disconnect the short cable on the left side of the remote controller before attempting to use the bottom USB port.

View attachment 41681
Issue solved. Next!

Reactions: Underdog1964
Hello guys.
Welcome to the world of model aviation...

Reactions: Underdog1964
E2AFBB67-5DC3-4CB6-B354-35213F074C66.jpeg D2AC200D-9415-43B0-8B20-74DDDEA6F44F.jpeg A0F1614E-A9EF-49F0-BED8-1B27E3FC9923.jpeg F03B8850-EC56-40DA-8463-9BB90E428D54.jpeg

Don't let the cable thing get you upset.

You made a good choice buying the Mavic Pro, which is a very sophisticated, well designed, flying camera. It can make you happy. However, you will be dissatisfied, or you will break it if you don’t take the time to learn how to use it, which includes overcoming the cable issue and any other “limitations.”

As a designer and builder, I understand DJI can’t package a system that works with every cell phone. For example, I had to design and 3D print a part to adapt my iPhone 7+, which lives in an Otter Box, to the Mavic’s controller, which isn't designed to hold an iPhone 7+ in an Otter Box (see photos). I also had to buy a short cable to make it work.

My philosophy is, if I can’t build something better myself for less, I buy the best I can get and make it work, even if I have to modify or improve it.

Let us know how things go for you. Good luck and happy flying!

Last edited:
.... or until he finds out he is going to need a second battery soon ($90), and ND Filters to get good video ($40+) and some type of sunshade to see his phone ($30) or an iPad Mini 4 ($250), probably a larger fast SD card ($30), landing gear or a landing pad unless he's going to hand catch all the time ($15+), plus a new bag to put all this in ($30+) plus he'll need to do firmware updates and DGI Go updates regularly, and then reset his his DJI GO settings each time there's an update, plus deal with all the NFZones in Canada...

He's going to LOVE DJI then.
I wonder how many otherwise great vacations ended up being someone watching their significant other try to pair a cell phone to their drone for the first time.

i just toured all of scotland for 10 days, but i can stop, pull out the drone, be up in the air, have the 5 shots i want, and landed in 10 minutes tops. I was worried my GF would be pretty annoyed if I didnt... but after she saw the footage she was like "no, fly as much as you like babe, this is awesome."

that said, yeah, i dont want to have a drone flying vacation either... just something fun to edit real quick when i get home.

Reactions: Pietros
We all make mistakes. I think yours was to let something trivial get you upset.

You made a good choice buying the Mavic Pro, which is a very sophisticated, well designed, flying camera. It can make you happy. However, you will be dissatisfied, or you will break it if you don’t take the time to learn how to use it, which includes overcoming the cable issue and any other “limitations.”

As a designer and builder, I understand you can’t package something to solve all problems. For example, I had to design and 3D print a part to adapt my iPhone 7+ in an Otter Box to to the Mavic’s controller. I also had to buy a short cable to make it work.

My philosophy is, if I can’t build something better myself for less, buy the best I can get and make it work, even if I have to improve it.

Let us know how things go for you. Good luck and happy flying!

Nicely done sir! I cracked the screen on my phone because it won't fit in the controller with my Otter Box. It was totally my fault. :) I dropped it in the driveway with the case off. I should have put it back in the case as soon as I took it out of the controller. I will however, find a solution where I can just keep it in the case. My brother proof parts with 3D printing and I may have to enlist his help or get something off the shelf.

Some folks will complain about it being most anything. I always think I have heard it all - but soon realize I have not.

I can't image what the OP will be like and how he will react when the MP does something the he doesn't think it should and he loses it - or it crashes - or ...

Its a non issue, if he just uses his own cord in the bottom USB port.
Looks like another user manual not even opened. If he is this disappointed now, just imagine how frustrated he is going to be! :D
Couldn't have said that any better, another user manual never opened :D:D:D

Can afford to spend $1500 on the drone, but complains about a $20 cable?

You guys are getting ripped off if you're paying $20 for a USB cable!

Come on everybody. Relax.

No one of us flies a drone since our birth. All of us passed through stages, and many of us never learned to fly a drone. There are hundreds of thousands flying machines, on trees, on roofs, in forests, in rivers, in lakes, and in the sea, and even more in Dji's laboratories, or service companies. And many of the "pilots" who crashed their precious birds, have spent thousands in drones and accessories.

I think he was waitin for a long time for his Mavic to arrive, and wanted this expensive machine to fly out-of-the-box.
And he was disappointed, because couldn't connect to his phone.

Help him if you can, and he will probably learn, as all of us did (not all, ok).

Relax.

Well said. Give the OP a break.

Reactions: conchman
My Mavic Air came with three cables, standard micro USB, USB C, and the weird cable for fruit phones. In addition, there was an adapter for USB C to micro USB. Try using the adapter with the USB C cable with the micro end at the correct orientation for your phone, USB C is reversible so it can be plugged in either way. Of course this means you cannot use the little locking collier, but no big deal, I can't use it with my Note 8 either due to its size. Good luck and happy flying.

Hello guys.
Do a little research before spending $1500! An IPad for $300 is a good investment for a much larger display. Stop whining, you make Canucks look bad!

Reactions: Tbredhed
i already used it with my brother phone. Everything works fine.
By the way do i need to remove that plastic dome around camera or not?
OMG......Please, Unhappy Pilot, RTFM. Between the OP and the above comment, I think that perhaps another hobby would be best for you.....and for the rest of us, if for no other reason than public safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tocotco80