DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very sad that Phantom 4M are gone, and I am researching Mavic 3M replacement

LinkerBlue

Reactions
One of the concerns is the electronic shutter quality and speed on Mavic 3M. Are we going to have at least the quality we are used to on Phantom 4M? Or possibly better. I have googled "DJI Mavic 3 Multispectral vs DJI Phantom 4 Multispectral", and it appears that Mavic 3M actually has lower spec:
Electronic Shutter 1/8000 s and that P4M was 1/20000s
Source: https://kingshobby.com/resources/blog/dji-mavic-3-multispectral-vs-dji-phantom-4-multispectral
Would love to hear from pilots that already purchased Mavic 3M and had working experience with Phantom 4M.

One of the concerns is the electronic shutter quality and speed on Mavic 3M. Are we going to have at least the quality we are used to on Phantom 4M? Or possibly better. I have googled "DJI Mavic 3 Multispectral vs DJI Phantom 4 Multispectral", and it appears that Mavic 3M actually has lower spec:
Electronic Shutter 1/8000 s and that P4M was 1/20000s
Source: https://kingshobby.com/resources/blog/dji-mavic-3-multispectral-vs-dji-phantom-4-multispectral
Would love to hear from pilots that already purchased Mavic 3M and had working experience with Phantom 4M.
I think you're confused. The Mavic 3M is a far superior Drone compared to the Phantom 4 Multispectral

From your source, it looks to me that the M3M has a mechanical shutter 8-1/2000, Plus 20 MP vs 2 mp, better flight time, and much more.

1677609919968.png

1677610398758.png

Reactions: Mike@Dragonfly
I am clear on the mechanical shutter, what I am not clear on is the electronic shutter. Spec appears to favor P4M. Wanted to see if anybody had any working experience and share findings.
More specifically this:
Electronic Shutter 1/8000 s and that P4M was 1/20000s.

I am clear on the mechanical shutter, what I am not clear on is the electronic shutter. Spec appears to favor P4M. Wanted to see if anybody had any working experience and share findings.
More specifically this:
I don't think you're clear at all. A mechanical shutter is far superior to an electronic shutter (in the eyes of many photographers). The P4M doesn't even have a mechanical shutter. In my opinion, you're not comparing apples to apples. More like comparing raisins to grapes.

Compare all the other specs while you're at it. Effective pixels, ISO range, image size, CMOS, and flight time.

The Mavic 3M is far superior in every category. RIP P4M

The Phantom had an electronic global shutter for each of it's multispectral cameras.
The Mavic only has a mechanical shutter for the RGB camera.

The Phantom produced 2 MP images from each of its cameras
The multispectral images from the Mavic are 5 MP and the RGB camera is the same 20 MP camera from the Mavic 3.

The Mavic benefits from the longer flight time (max 43 minutes) while the Phantom's was 27 minutes.
This gives the Mavic a theoretical max area per flight of 494 acres while the Phantom could cover 155 acres.
More specifically this:

I wouldn't get hung up on the higher max shutter speed of the tiny sensors of the Phantom.
Incidentally it was 1/20K only for the RGB camera and 1/10K for the multispectral cameras.
It's unlikely that you were using such high shutter speeds anyway.
(That could easily be checked with metadata from Phantom mapping images).

I think the 5MP vs 2 MP images and increased flight time are the standout features from the specs.

I know of a P4M for sale from a commercial pilot if you're still looking for one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55