DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Victoria area pilots out there?

roadkilt

Reactions
Any new Mavic pilots (there arent any old ones!) in Victoria area or southern Vancouver Island? Challenging weather for sure, and finding good flying areas but maybe we can meet up for some quality airtime.

Hey, I live out in west shore area, just ordered my Mavic the other day from apples website hope to have it sooner then the mid march ship date they give!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've found that Apple, unlike DJI, usually delivers ahead of schedule so you may get lucky. Weather may be nice by then too!

Any new Mavic pilots (there arent any old ones!) in Victoria area or southern Vancouver Island? Challenging weather for sure, and finding good flying areas but maybe we can meet up for some quality airtime.
Hey Roadkilt,
Recently received my mavic. Having cable issues but can fly via the standard usb port. Will again test today, hope the wind does not come up. Would be great to go through learning stages with another mavic pilot. Just backyard flying at this point but maybe the open field between Elk and Beaver lake would be good practice area, just have to dodge the dog poop.

Just saw your other posts. You are already pretty experienced working with mavic. Wonderful shots over golf course! Hope I can get some tips from you on flying this crazy cool camera. One quick question, is the default mode D-Cinelike? I just updated everything 4 days ago.

Just saw your other posts. You are already pretty experienced working with mavic. Wonderful shots over golf course! Hope I can get some tips from you on flying this crazy cool camera. One quick question, is the default mode D-Cinelike? I just updated everything 4 days ago.
I just updated last night and haven't flown so I dont know defaults yet. With this windy weather I may try my first indoors flight. Yikes! I ordered the prop guards a month ago for inside flying and they haven't shown up yet. A big open farm field area in central Saanich away from people and dogs is the best bet for starters, Elk lake area may have too many curious folk. I'm also trying to learn the 3rd party apps like AutoPilot and Litchi, they have impressive features but I dont have enough airtime to get comfy.

Think you're right about Elk lake and curious folk. Will try to figure field in central Saanich. Doing backyard tests today. Obvious you have a pretty good handle on mavic as well as imagery experience. I'm a video/photography kinda guy but this is first aircraft I've experienced, pretty exciting. Look forward to learning from you if you have the patience to help me out.

:cool:We are all learning, and I'm still new on this unit too. We'll stay in touch. Too cold and windy to spend much time out in my area near the water though.

Just received my Mavic Pro yesterday. One test flight so far, didn't crash. Really looking forward to learning all the ins and outs of smooth filming with this puppy; so many cool shots I want to take on future motorbike trips!

Out in Colwood, be fun to meet up with others and practice. Cheers!

I'm in Victoria, but I just sent my Mavic back to DJI for jello issues. Check out a sample video I made before I sent it back. [YOUTUBE]hCne5R_zVqo[/YOUTUBE]

Just received my Mavic Pro yesterday. One test flight so far, didn't crash. Really looking forward to learning all the ins and outs of smooth filming with this puppy; so many cool shots I want to take on future motorbike trips!

Out in Colwood, be fun to meet up with others and practice. Cheers!

Motorcycles, half the reason I got my Mavic, I ride an F800gs up in Nanaimo, what are you on?

I'm on a bike too.. (600CBR though I let the insurance lapse over winter and haven't insured it yet again, I will soon though). Here's a video I made with the bike and a friend's Phantom drone. Pretty goofy, but there you have it.

[YOUTUBE]y7IgaIKl4RQ[/YOUTUBE]

iPhone 6S

Im up in Sooke myself, Just got my Mavic yesterday. Im looking forward to some stunning shots of the area!

And I ride a 2017 RoadGlide Ultra with a stage 3 114" engine

Reactions: niclariv and wheels
I must be the only one not riding a bike! Sookes a good area to fly...the new TC regs on drones have got me hunkered down for a bit while it settles, pretty much all of Victoria is a No Fly Zone.....officially.....but I think Sooke is fine. Too many people in Victoria getting their knickers in a twist every time they seem something they dont know. Weather hasn't been kind either.

Yeah Sooke seems fine. There are apps like Hover and Airmap that show the no fly zones. I think with the recent press we need to be extra careful, especially for the first while with it fresh in the public's mind. Too bad.. I was flying out around Cadboro Bay quite a lot before this happened, and the public response was very positive - a lot of people just wanted to see how it worked.

Reactions: wheels
Hello! Just checking this site out for the first time! I'm thrilled to find local enthusiasts! I live in Esquimalt and got my Mavic Pro two days ago. But can't seem to get it activated. Frustrated as all get out. Hope to get it figured out by tomorrow. . .

Reactions: niclariv
Yeah Sooke seems fine. There are apps like Hover and Airmap that show the no fly zones. I think with the recent press we need to be extra careful, especially for the first while with it fresh in the public's mind. Too bad.. I was flying out around Cadboro Bay quite a lot before this happened, and the public response was very positive - a lot of people just wanted to see how it worked.

I was doing some small time flying, less then 4m high, and 10m away. The kids that play in my cul de sac came to watch, and their parents came too. They all liked how it worked, and how good the video was. 3 of the parents asked for pictures of their property to do some planning or to use as layouts for yard work. Its a good idea I guess. No one complained, no one was upset. Everyone seemed excited. My street is nearly empty, and WAY out of the way. Im on the end of the cul de sac, with no houses for 200m from my house, so its a "Safe Zone" for now...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54