DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video edit software test

Wrighty90

Reactions
Hi all

I'm brand new to the whole drone/video/photography scene, I picked up a mavic air recently and I have to say, I'm super impressed with it. Anyway, I've literally only used it once and taken a few videos, all in automatic mode whilst I concentrate on learning to fly and control it. As I've never used any video editing software before, I have invested quite a bit of time testing/evaluating 3 different offerings (Lightworks, Filmora and DaVinci Resolve) and in case any other newbies are wondering which software to go for, I can highly recommend DaVinci Resolve. It is by far the easiest to learn, it's free and the results are superb. There are loads of instructional videos accessible from within the UI and I have to say I've very impressed.

Here is a link to the video, Spielberg hasn't got to worry himself yet, but it was great fun creating and I'm sure I'll get better.

Cheers

Si

Hi all

I'm brand new to the whole drone/video/photography scene, I picked up a mavic air recently and I have to say, I'm super impressed with it. Anyway, I've literally only used it once and taken a few videos, all in automatic mode whilst I concentrate on learning to fly and control it. As I've never used any video editing software before, I have invested quite a bit of time testing/evaluating 3 different offerings (Lightworks, Filmora and DaVinci Resolve) and in case any other newbies are wondering which software to go for, I can highly recommend DaVinci Resolve. It is by far the easiest to learn, it's free and the results are superb. There are loads of instructional videos accessible from within the UI and I have to say I've very impressed.

Here is a link to the video, Spielberg hasn't got to worry himself yet, but it was great fun creating and I'm sure I'll get better.

Cheers

Si

What sort of hardware are you using? I've played around with Resolve on someone else's machine and like it a lot. But my computer (a relatively new Surface Pro) struggles with Premiere Elements and Pro, and I've heard resolve needs a lot of horsepower (I was using Resolve on a new iMac Pro which seemed to have no problems, but that machine is a beast).

What sort of hardware are you using? I've played around with Resolve on someone else's machine and like it a lot. But my computer (a relatively new Surface Pro) struggles with Premiere Elements and Pro, and I've heard resolve needs a lot of horsepower (I was using Resolve on a new iMac Pro which seemed to have no problems, but that machine is a beast).
Nothing special, just a HP Envy hooked up to a 22 inch monitor.

I think for most of us amatuer photographers, any of those software packages works. I for one use a combination of Lightroom and davinci. Mainly because Lightroom is what I’ve learned for developing my RAW images and that’s what I’m comfortable using. I’ve started using DaVinci for my hyperlapse’. Why, because I saw a good video tutorial showing how to fine tune the hyperlapses. So I edit the raw files in Lightroom, then over to Davinci to tweak the hyperlapse.
I’m sure I could be doing both in one of the packages, but, it’s what I learned and understood. :)

It is tiring going through so many poorly edited video lessons. Sooo many start with 2 or 3 minutes of person bumbling around and setting up, or inane conversation totally unrelated. It never ceases to amaze me how many poor examples of this are out there

I think it's sensible to use one application for the photos and one for videos and I certainly find Lightroom is good at work with the Mavic raw files and it handles the non-360 panoramas really nicely too.

In regards to your video lessons comment I wholeheartedly agree but that really seems the trend now to have an obnoxious intro then irrelevant background information before actually getting to the point of the video. When I brought this up with a friend who likes to think he is still hanging with the youths of today he told me that the vlog background part is an important part to give you a feel but I really don't give a toss about someone seeing their wife off to work when I'm expecting to see a technical video of a product!
It's particularly irritating when it would be more straightforward to have a list of settings or steps rather than having to keep pausing a YT video which can be difficult to make out the fine detail.

Reactions: AnzacJack
In regards to your video lessons comment I wholeheartedly agree but that really seems the trend now to have an obnoxious intro....

Thirded. I have just about given up on finding good video lessons, and would love recommendations. Steve Grisetti does a great job and has a lot of videos for various software (I’ve been watching his Premiere (Elements and Pro/CC) videos but he covers some others as well). If anyone can recommend others it would be much appreciated.

This is true of other sorts of videos as well. I’ve started some other videos about drone (mods, camera settings, etc.) but gave up because they kept rambling about irrelevant things and took forever to get to the point.

Reactions: AnzacJack
Or they will give an excuse why a demo can’t be done correctly at that time. Dude, if you can’t do it correctly, delete video and re-film when you can do it correctly. I don’t imagine these guys are under pressure from editors insisting on time lines.

Reactions: Maviac
I think for most of us amatuer photographers, any of those software packages works. I for one use a combination of Lightroom and davinci. Mainly because Lightroom is what I’ve learned for developing my RAW images and that’s what I’m comfortable using. I’ve started using DaVinci for my hyperlapse’. Why, because I saw a good video tutorial showing how to fine tune the hyperlapses. So I edit the raw files in Lightroom, then over to Davinci to tweak the hyperlapse.
I’m sure I could be doing both in one of the packages, but, it’s what I learned and understood. :)

It is tiring going through so many poorly edited video lessons. Sooo many start with 2 or 3 minutes of person bumbling around and setting up, or inane conversation totally unrelated. It never ceases to amaze me how many poor examples of this are out there

How are you using Lightroom? When I try to use camera raw to color grade it takes a million years to render

If you have a Mac there’s no greater or easier to use free program than iMovie.

Programs like resolve are great but they can give you way too many options and can feel overwheming for somebody new. iMovie is great because it doesn’t have many options to do things so it feels more intuitive. It also has a lot of automatic settings and I swear I have a really really difficult time manually color grading better than iMovie’s automatic settings.

iMovie is basically a “lite” version of Final Cut Pro which is a professional video editing program for Mac. It uses the same “engine” but it just doesn’t have the customizable settings that Final Cut Pro does. Which I think is really good for beginners. Once you outgrow iMovie it’s nice to know that Final Cut Pro works almost exactly like iMovie, it just has lots of fine controls and move options, so you don’t have to learn a new program from scratch.

For my semi-Pro and Pro photographers who want to venture into video check out Adobe After Effects. It’s basically Photoshop for video. I don’t really fully understand the purpose of Adobe Premier, After Effects does everything Premier can do and much much more.

Hi all

Cheers

Si
Let’s see some of your videos...

If you have a Mac there’s no greater or easier to use free program than iMovie.

Programs like resolve are great but they can give you way too many options and can feel overwheming for somebody new. iMovie is great because it doesn’t have many options to do things so it feels more intuitive. It also has a lot of automatic settings and I swear I have a really really difficult time manually color grading better than iMovie’s automatic settings.

iMovie is basically a “lite” version of Final Cut Pro which is a professional video editing program for Mac. It uses the same “engine” but it just doesn’t have the customizable settings that Final Cut Pro does. Which I think is really good for beginners. Once you outgrow iMovie it’s nice to know that Final Cut Pro works almost exactly like iMovie, it just has lots of fine controls and move options, so you don’t have to learn a new program from scratch.

For my semi-Pro and Pro photographers who want to venture into video check out Adobe After Effects. It’s basically Photoshop for video. I don’t really fully understand the purpose of Adobe Premier, After Effects does everything Premier can do and much much more.

A second vote for iMovie. Easy to learn and handles 4K on an iPad.

Hi all

Cheers

Si

:) It is tiring going through so many poorly edited video lessons. Sooo many start with 2 or 3 minutes of person bumbling around and setting up said:
Hear ye !!!!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Greece