DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editing computer

I just Googled this term;

"What is the best computer for video editing?"

There were thousands of results. It really depends on your budget. One of the computers listed was $9,000 USD!!! You should check out the specs (specifications) and brands. I also found this listing;View attachment 114264

Thanks for taking the trouble to do that for me - the trouble is, I have no idea about confusers. I have never had a 'high end' confuser and they have only been used as glorified typewriters, and to edit my photos, always on Nikon Capture NX and then NX2 when it was updated. I still use NX2 for photos from the Nikon cameras, I only use Lightroom6 for the DJI and have only had it a few months, it came on this confuser... I don't think it is the full Lightroom.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do that for me - the trouble is, I have no idea about confusers. I have never had a 'high end' confuser and they have only been used as glorified typewriters, and to edit my photos, always on Nikon Capture NX and then NX2 when it was updated. I still use NX2 for photos from the Nikon cameras, I only use Lightroom6 for the DJI and have only had it a few months, it came on this confuser... I don't think it is the full Lightroom.
I think you meant to say "computer" rather than "confuser" although it is confusing. Unfortunately, you have a very high learning curve ahead of you. The direction and path you put yourself on as far as photo editing and video editing will determine if you are going to spend some considerable time learning image editing, which in my opinion, is a lifetime learning experience for Photoshop, and was a huge challenge for me in learning Premiere Pro. I am self taught in Photoshop using all the available videos I can find, but I particularly like the latest updated series by Colin Smith of PhotoshopCafe www.photoshopcafe.com
For video editing- if you want to go with the free DaVinci Resolve or Filmora. For a better more professional program, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.

I think you meant to say "computer" rather than "confuser" although it is confusing. Unfortunately, you have a very high learning curve ahead of you. The direction and path you put yourself on as far as photo editing and video editing will determine if you are going to spend some considerable time learning image editing, which in my opinion, is a lifetime learning experience for Photoshop, and was a huge challenge for me in learning Premiere Pro. I am self taught in Photoshop using all the available videos I can find, but I particularly like the latest updated series by Colin Smith of PhotoshopCafe www.photoshopcafe.com
For video editing- if you want to go with the free DaVinci Resolve or Filmora. For a better more professional program, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.

No, the term CONFUSER is what I call the confounded things!

A friend has Final Cut pro, but he has a big mac too, with a massive screen, bigger than our TV (24"). I can't afford that kind of setup I'm afraid. I have not earned for 3 years while I was recovering. Hit and run driver.

Just to throw out a potentially simple alternative. I can edit and render 4K (H.264) video on my iPad Pro using iMovie. Relatively inexpensive, easy to use, portable, an easy learning curve on iMovie. Don’t know if it can do H.265.

Reactions: JamieK
A comparison between Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve:

I used Premiere Pro for years and had enough of the bugs, crashes and the subscription model. I also used Avid MediaComposer professionally for many years but they went the same route. Davinci Resolve is a no brainer and the free version is very little different to the paid version.

Reactions: KingRat
Just to throw out a potentially simple alternative. I can edit and render 4K (H.264) video on my iPad Pro using iMovie. Relatively inexpensive, easy to use, portable, an easy learning curve on iMovie. Don’t know if it can do H.265.
I was about to suggest an iPad. The iPad Air 4 looks to be quite the editing beast as well.

Reactions: Camino Ken
I have been looking at Macs for a while. I was amazed at how expensive they are. I looked at doing a new PC but that was looking like a problem. I just upgraded my desktop to an I5 3.6ghz and had 16gb of ram. It just was lagging. The lack of a quality GPU I think was hurting it. Last night I was reading this thread and Looking at the macs and amazed on how expensive they really are. I decided to keep an eye out for one used. I have really been a PC guy and kind of anti apple. I have run linux a bunch so I am not afraid of the software side. I ended up finding a late 2015 I mac 27" with a 4.0 Ghz I7 with 16gb of ram and a 500G SSD on Craigslist. The price was right so I went ahead and jumped on it. I have been running Agrisoft Metashape for 3d mapping. It has the AMD Radeon R9 GPU. I can tell you it is a world of a difference. I know you can build a PC that will knock the socks off a top of the line MAC Pro but so far I am really liking this machine.

PC: Dell Optiplex 990
Intel core I5-2400 Quad core
3.4 Ghz
16Gb DDR3 665Mhz
Geforce 210 533 mhz 1GB @1000Mhz

CPU Benchmark:

Single Core Score 680
Crypto Score 709
Integer Score 656
Floating point 726

Multicore Score 2286
Crypto Score 2680
Integer Score 2190
Floating Point 2427

GPU Benchmark:
Shutdown Benchmark software at the 1 hour 26 Minute mark!

Imac Late 2015
Intel Core I7-6700K
4.0 Ghz
16.0 GB DDR3 933Mhz
AMD radeon R9 M395 834 Mhz 2Gb GDDR5 @5460Mhz

CPU Benchmark:

Single Core 1028
Crypto Score 1114
Integer Score 1010
Floating Point 1054

Multi Core 4253
Crypto Core 4537
Integer score 4002
Floating point 4749

GPU Benchmark:
Open CL Score 24066
Time 32 Seconds

We will see how this thing works out. I have a large job for 3d mapping tomorrow afternoon. It is my 8-5 job location and the boss wants a map done of the facility. Its my first real money job so I am going to run it on both computers to really see the difference. I know this mac is not the fastest by todays standards but it should work better then what I had.

I was also anti-Apple for a long time but I needed a replacement laptop that had a full HD screen as a minimum for video editing. My HP Workstation laptop had an NVidia GPU fault, which was part of a class action in the US but no other country got a fix.

The screen was light years ahead of the HP and the laptop unbelievably quiet by comparison. It did everything I needed. It was soon followed by an iPad and eventually an iPhone when my Blackberry died.

Never looked back. Apples products just work and that is the advantage when you design the hardware, write the software and offer an excellent support system. And how many other manufacturers offer a walk-in store in nearly every major city?

Yes they’re expensive compared to a PC made from commodity parts but when you need a secure, reliable tool that will last, won’t get bogged down with antivirus software and bloatware and continues with the same user interface year after year... And then there is the seamless link through iCloud for all your Apple devices...

Hi, I am looking at getting a new computer to process 4k drone videos. Not sure whether to go with laptop or desktop. Does anyone have some recommendations whether to go laptop or desktop? And also what processing power and memory is needed? I am new at this, but need to upskill for work

Hi, I am looking at getting a new computer to process 4k drone videos. Not sure whether to go with laptop or desktop. Does anyone have some recommendations whether to go laptop or desktop? And also what processing power and memory is needed? I am new at this, but need to upskill for work
If you want any portability go with the laptop

You should the biggest and best computer you can afford! Video editing takes a lot of resources. I went with the desk top Apple iMAC with lots of RAM and a good video card.Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 10.05.32 PM.png

Reactions: Thomas B
You should the biggest and best computer you can afford! Video editing takes a lot of resources. I went with the desk top Apple iMAC with lots of RAM and a good video card.View attachment 120604
Only 16GBs? I was told Davinci requires a minimum of 32GBs, so went with that. HP laptop with 2TB hard drive and 32GBs of RAM... I don't understand it all, but it fitted the requirements.

It might be worth the questioner doing the same as I did: find out what the system requires to run, then look for one that fits the required specs. It did cost me as much as I spent on my car mind!

Wow, great thread that's certainly gone all over the map from the OPs question. Yeah, I build (soldered everything) for my IMSAI 8080 CPM system, had access to the Apple Lisa before the Macs were envisioned, yada yada. And like Dale mentioned, I've had a handful of Dell XPS over the years along with a spattering of Apple mobile devices which I love. And let's not forget the years that Apple nearly abandoned Final Cut Pro when their huge business profits were coming from iPhone, iPad, iTunes and Apps store (lonely time for their computer Product Managers). But they did come back to their loyal professional producers and are at least making a modest contribution to their MOI - but I too, digress.

Anyway, I'm still comfortable using Premiere Pro on a dated i7-2600 at 3.4GHz with 32GB that still has life thanks to Samsung 850 EVO and PRO drives.

In fact for normal editing, I still find the workstation "comfortable" and prefer it to my livestreaming beast just 3 feet away - a Puget System Gigabyte X299, i9 10920X 12 core 19.25MB, 64GB DDR4-2666 RAM, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD, more regular Samsung SSDs, RTX 2070 Super 8GB GPU, etc. All very nice when transmitting multiple 1080 streams coming from a handful of monitors, encoder software, HDMI inputs, etc. But when rendering a 10 minute 1080 YT video without a lot of filters, the older Dell rendering files in 5 minutes or less so I'm a happy camper.

Bottom line, while I'd normally suggest upgrading to a SSD if you have an i5 with 32GB, indeed your i3 computer and associated memory, bus speeds, etc is certainly dated so yes, it's time to go shopping... but don't be seduced by 4K at high frame rates unless you really have the need... or are itching to spend your Fed stimulus check ;)

Happy trails and hunting, Michael

My present Desktop PC just won't cut it when it comes to video editing. I am not a "Gamer" and don't want to be but when I have looked around "Gaming" machines appear to be the way to go.
This is one that I have looked at
Predator Orion 3000 i7-10700/16GB/1TB SSD Gaming Desktop.
Equipped with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 video card (4GB video RAM),
It is also in my price range at just under $2000 AUD
Any comments/advice would be most welcome and appreciated

As I suggested earlier...

This is not an easy question to answer, with lot's of "it depends" but assuming you'd like to edit 4K videos you'd prefer:

- 32 MB RAM
- GTX 1660ti or above GPU

I recommend you wait at least one month with the new Intel architecture just coming out for laptops, etc. This is bound to cause a price reduction for older gear. On that note, with NLEs constantly requiring more horsepower, sadly the specs on your anticipated system will soon be dated.

If I was going for a tried and true middle of the road computer, I'd get something like this Dell desktop:
www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/sr/desktops/video-editing

XPS Desktop Special Edition

$1,799.99
10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700K processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6
32GB, 2x16GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz
1TB M.2 PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD

For a higher-end system capable of NLE in the years to come and do livestreaming, I paid twice as much for this one (but you could build something similar yourself and save $1,000 if you love fiddling:

www.pugetsystems.com/nav/genesis/I/customize.php

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu