DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Editing Software

patriotaki

Reactions
Hi,

I started filming with my drone recently and i was wondering if there is any video editing software available that can take advantage of these drone shots.

For example the DJI App can automatically apply some cool effects in your video (quickshot) with music etc. I am looking for similar software for pc/mac that maybe has some predefined effects/libraries i can use for my shots, i want something simple and fast, im no expert nor wanna be. Just want to make my video shot a bit better

if there is no such software/libraries which video editor would you suggest? exporting to 4k is a must

Highly recommend DaVinci Resolve. There is a free version and a Studio version, to be honest there is not much left out of the free version. It does need a pretty fast computer though.

Reactions: drone_dh and EricJT
I highly recommend Adobe Premiere, however it and most video editing software is a memory hog. I had to upgrade to a new gaming PC a few months ago and max out the RAM.

Reactions: Drone Views Media
Hi Patriotaki,

Whilst Davinci Resolve is free & feature full it’s (in my opinion) very difficult to master quickly. Especially colour grading. I have all Apple devices, so have settled with Final Cut Pro. It also offers a free trial period of three months before needing to purchase.

I highly recommend Adobe Premiere, however it and most video editing software is a memory hog. I had to upgrade to a new gaming PC a few months ago and max out the RAM.
Yeah, especially when you're trying to edit in 4K. Even my latest upgrade grounds to a halt when I'm editing in Premiere Pro

I have Davinci complaing about my video card memory. Looking to upgrade to a nicer card - any suggestions?

Hi,

I started filming with my drone recently and i was wondering if there is any video editing software available that can take advantage of these drone shots.

For example the DJI App can automatically apply some cool effects in your video (quickshot) with music etc. I am looking for similar software for pc/mac that maybe has some predefined effects/libraries i can use for my shots, i want something simple and fast, im no expert nor wanna be. Just want to make my video shot a bit better

if there is no such software/libraries which video editor would you suggest? exporting to 4k is a must
If you are using DJI Fly (as I do, with my Air 2), you can create some nice simple video edits directly in the Fly app. Take a look around the app; you will find it. You can select video clips, add transition effects, exposure adjustments, music overlays, audio files and basic text captions. And if you want to reduce the huge file sizes, I use video and stills utilities. A 600MB file down to 10MB still retains quite good quality (surprisingly) if you want to email it to somebody. The free version will do a 10 second clip, as I recall. But I paid the small fee to buy the full app and it is very easy to use, with file reduction options.

‎Photo Compress - Shrink Pics

Last edited:
Yeah, especially when you're trying to edit in 4K. Even my latest upgrade grounds to a halt when I'm editing in Premiere Pro
Have you tried Proxy Editing? Premiere will create a lower resolution edition of your video where you do your editing and then will apply those edits to the 4K version during the render process.

Have you tried Proxy Editing? Premiere will create a lower resolution edition of your video where you do your editing and then will apply those edits to the 4K version during the render process.
Thanks for the tip!
PLUS - I must admit - my current video card is one of these Old-Graphics-Cards.
I've got a bunch of Ram and an older I7 and it still does well enough.
I went ahead - based on 2 hours research - purchased a better one - should be here this weekend.

Hi Patriotaki,

Whilst Davinci Resolve is free & feature full it’s (in my opinion) very difficult to master quickly. Especially colour grading. I have all Apple devices, so have settled with Final Cut Pro. It also offers a free trial period of three months before needing to purchase.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion I have to strongly disagree. I have tried several other "budget" editing software programs, Movie Maker, Filmora, and a few whose names I can't even recall and gave up quickly in frustration. I picked up Davinci Resolve faster than any of them, going from virtually zero knowledge of any video editing to my first production in about 2 weeks, including some basic color grading. You're not going to get "AI" help with your editing with Resolve, but the free version (before the upgrade to the Studio version) is often held in the same esteem as Premier Pro and Final Cut Pro. It should be worth mentioning that Resolve started as a color grading program and many who were using Premier would import their footage to resolve to color grade, then move it back to Premier. There are TONS of extremely good (sometimes short) tutorial videos out there that get right to the point when you need to learn specific tasks.

As far as "mastering" color grading or any other aspect of video editing, it is important to understand that before you can become proficient at color grading or anything in a video or photo editor, you NEED TO KNOW *WHAT NEEDS DOING* first. You need to know what portion of what clips you need to use, and in what sequence before any program will help you. If you know what the clips should look like first you'll quickly figure out how to get there. If you don't it won't matter what editing program you use. It should also be mentioned that Davinci Resolve not only has a dedicated color grading section, but a "Fusion" section, similar to Adobe After Effects, and Fairlight for audio editing- all built in without exporting and importing back and forth to incorporate them in your edits.

None of the above is to denegrate Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premier Pro. As PC user obviously FCP wasn't a consideration for me. I might have considered Premier... if I wanted Adobe to be futher in my pocket in-perpituitum (forever). The downside about subscription software is that you have to continue to pay nonstop, whether you use it a lot or very sparingly. No thank you. IMO the only advantage to a subscription scheme is that you get automatic upgrades and if you're editing video for a living it's a deductible expense.

Dismounting soap box.

Reactions: Ringarn
While everyone is entitled to their opinion I have to strongly disagree. I have tried several other "budget" editing software programs, Movie Maker, Filmora, and a few whose names I can't even recall and gave up quickly in frustration. I picked up Davinci Resolve faster than any of them, going from virtually zero knowledge of any video editing to my first production in about 2 weeks, including some basic color grading. You're not going to get "AI" help with your editing with Resolve, but the free version (before the upgrade to the Studio version) is often held in the same esteem as Premier Pro and Final Cut Pro. It should be worth mentioning that Resolve started as a color grading program and many who were using Premier would import their footage to resolve to color grade, then move it back to Premier. There are TONS of extremely good (sometimes short) tutorial videos out there that get right to the point when you need to learn specific tasks.

As far as "mastering" color grading or any other aspect of video editing, it is important to understand that before you can become proficient at color grading or anything in a video or photo editor, you NEED TO KNOW *WHAT NEEDS DOING* first. You need to know what portion of what clips you need to use, and in what sequence before any program will help you. If you know what the clips should look like first you'll quickly figure out how to get there. If you don't it won't matter what editing program you use. It should also be mentioned that Davinci Resolve not only has a dedicated color grading section, but a "Fusion" section, similar to Adobe After Effects, and Fairlight for audio editing- all built in without exporting and importing back and forth to incorporate them in your edits.

None of the above is to denegrate Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premier Pro. As PC user obviously FCP wasn't a consideration for me. I might have considered Premier... if I wanted Adobe to be futher in my pocket in-perpituitum (forever). The downside about subscription software is that you have to continue to pay nonstop, whether you use it a lot or very sparingly. No thank you. IMO the only advantage to a subscription scheme is that you get automatic upgrades and if you're editing video for a living it's a deductible expense.

Dismounting soap box.
Final Cut Pro X is a flat one off cost of AU$300.00 You have forever updates. No subscriptions.

Final Cut Pro X is a flat one off cost of AU$300.00 You have forever updates. No subscriptions.

How much does the PC version of FCPX cost ? ?

I have no real idea of which features of FCP are included, but know that Davinci Resolve is a pretty all encompasing program and the STUDIO version for $300 just takes it all to the next level for those producing cinema level stuff. The cool thing about Resolve is that there is no investment and no risk and no time limit for trial for someone wanting to learn on a full blown editing program.

Reactions: Ringarn

Dismounting soap box.
DR has my vote as well

I started of with Premier pro many years back when it had a one of cost. When I started getting interested in editing again I was not happy to pay a regular fee and so looked elsewhere. As a retiree locking in to regular payments is not attractive. I found DR and having previously used PP did not find the initial use too difficult, though as I have continued to use it I continually find more that I can do. Fusion is particularly powerful but not easy to learn.

DR has my vote as well

I started of with Premier pro many years back when it had a one of cost. When I started getting interested in editing again I was not happy to pay a regular fee and so looked elsewhere. As a retiree locking in to regular payments is not attractive. I found DR and having previously used PP did not find the initial use too difficult, though as I have continued to use it I continually find more that I can do. Fusion is particularly powerful but not easy to learn.
No idea what the pc version of FCPX costs. Probably the same as for a Mac? I found the “Fushion” aspect in DAvinci Resolve unbelievably difficult & time consuming to understand. Even with the plethora of YouTube tutorials. Put me off totally. Whilst “Fairlight” is solid, once again (I am skilled in producing my own music in GarageBand), I would rarely if ever use it. Let alone learn it! All too hard free or not. FCPX just works well, and instinctually like most Apple products.

I've been using Vegas for a while now. It was a Sony product to begin with, now owned by Magix. I like it, mostly because I've been using it for many years to put together videos from my many diving vacations. I put them to music, etc. Now that I am recently into the drone video thing, I upgraded to the latest version (wasn't very much) and will let you know. All I've done with it since upgrading is put some GoPro vid next to some Mavic vid to see the difference, and just play around - nothing serious yet. I've stuck with Vegas because I think it is easy to use, I know it, and it does not have that cloud based BS of wanting you to pay monthly for something you use occasionally.

DR has my vote as well

The subscription plan (aka perpetually gouging software rental) continues to be a huge turn off. At least Photoshop is only $10/mo. And that pisses me off because I am perfectly fine with Photoshop CS3, but Adobe will no longer activate it and once I upgraded computers it was made artificially obsolete by Adobe as it runs perfectly fine on Windows 10. If I could activate CS3 I wouldn't need PS 2020. At least I use Photoshop almost every day which is not the same with video editing. I detest unecessarily greedy business practices. And Premier, at $20 and (I believe) that doesn't include After Effects. I'm not sure what else is extra. I plan on coughing up the $300 for Davinci's studio version sometime in the near future.

I suppose the question regarding Fusion is, is it just as powerful or even more powerful than After Effects and whatever FCPX offers, or is it just more complicated? I think the trick to Fusion is to understand nodes as being similar and different to layers. One thing I (think I ) notices is that while layers stack bottom to top, (unless I have it backwards... please correct me if so) you can think of nodes as layers, with the last node as the top layer. I think where it gets both complicated and powerful is with merge nodes, something that I'm not sure how you'd incorporate with a layer system. All I know is that Fusion is a deep, deep dive to learn. But the great thing about Davinci Resolve is that there are hundreds of tutorials out there that can spoon feed you information in small bite-size pieces as needed.

If you want simple and fast I would suggest you try Shotcut. It's free, has a pretty quick learning curve and can do some pretty cool effects and transitions. Can handle 4k, proxy files and does simple color correction. DaVinci resolve just didn't run good on my computer, even when using proxy files and I thought it had a steep learning curve for what I wanted to do. There are also a lot of SHotcut tutorials on YouTube. YMMV

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum