DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Editing

Fineus

Reactions
Any suggestions for video editing software for a new drone owner with 0 exp in editing? Haven’t had a high end PC in a while so I’m limited to what a Surface Pro 4 can handle. Thanks

Have you got the i5 or the i7 running in that Surface ? Although the graphics card is an important factor in this, so is processor. One will do 4K video OK, and other will really really struggle. If you have the i5 I'd stick to recording and editing 1080P video.

The program I like most for that is one of the best in the world, and incredibly, also free ! I'd say DaVinci Resolve Public Beta R15 is easy for beginners IF you take the time to watch a few introductory videos that run you past the general workflow - spend a couple of hours on the basics and the rest should click into place. It also has enough power and features that you will probably never need anything else*

*until you need 4K output, and then you do need to buy the full version.

Last edited:
Reactions: TotalExposure
Zero experience, liKe me? Personally, I would start with Microsoft Movie Maker. It is super easy and built for a five year old. Once I’ve mastered that and use everything it has to offer I’m going to move to something like DaVinci... but that’s way to involved right now if you have zero experience. Try Movie Maker as it woks flawlessly with our surface pros...plus it’s Microsoft so not a crazy resource hog either
Get Movie Maker 10 - Tell Your Story - Microsoft Store

Reactions: Fineus
Have you got the i5 or the i7 running in that Surface ? Although the graphics card is an important factor in this, so is processor. One will do 4K video OK, and other will really really struggle. If you have the i5 I'd stick to recording and editing 1080P video.

The program I like most for that is one of the best in the world, and incredibly, also free ! I'd say DaVinci Resolve Public Beta R15 is easy for beginners IF you take the time to watch a few introductory videos that run you past the general workflow - spend a couple of hours on the basics and the rest should click into place. It also has enough power and features that you will probably never need anything else*

Thanks. Sadly I have the i5 and even worse it has the low end on memory. Can’t complain as it does what it was intended for. I can see what I have stashed away from my gaming days. Think I had a 6 core AMD that may be better but nit sure. I’ll stick to 1080 for now as I’m learning

Zero experience, liKe me? Personally, I would start with Microsoft Movie Maker. It is super easy and built for a five year old. Once I’ve mastered that and use everything it has to offer I’m going to move to something like DaVinci... but that’s way to involved right now if you have zero experience. Try Movie Maker as it woks flawlessly with our surface pros...plus it’s Microsoft so not a crazy resource hog either
Get Movie Maker 10 - Tell Your Story - Microsoft Store
Thanks a ton for this info - downloaded it and you were dead on in terms of ease. At this point I have more to learn about flying before the major editing stuff. Thanks again!

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Had time to dig in to my old PC and while I gutted the video card to help a buddy out I was wondering if I could get some input on if bringing it back to life made sense by putting a new vCard in it. So basically looking for Pc build advice

mb is ASUS M5A99X EVO
Thinking it had 32gb ram
Processor was if I recall AMD am3+ FX maybe around 3.0 6 core
SSD HD

So just need to put a new vCard in it but curious if it’s worth it or if I need to do a whole new build. If it is worth it what’s the minimum I should be looking at?

Any advice welcome and appreciated

@AeroJ thoughts on an amd+ FX -6100 3.2 cpu with 16g memory and a 1050ti 4g video card for running DaVinci?

I've been hanging onto my 5 YO laptop because I like the 3 part mousepad instead of the NEW single mousepad. It is an i7(2.3)/16GHz/Nvidia GeForce GT630M, about tops at the time, but it crashes trying to edit 4KHD using either Adobe AE or DaVinci. I've about resolved to film everything in HD (1920X1080) only, until I get a new computer, which will have to have the best processor, video card and ram available in able to work with 4KHD.

@AeroJ thoughts on an amd+ FX -6100 3.2 cpu with 16g memory and a 1050ti 4g video card for running DaVinci?

Resolves biggest ask is the graphics card, 1050ti should be fine. If it slows/hiccups, just run 'generate optimised media' - rick click on your clips in media pool. In general settings I have my optimised media set to 1/4 resolution, makes editing smooth on an old i5 with 950M 2GB graphics. You can select 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th, or auto for optimised media settings. Still renders well in 4k once you're finished all the edits.

Resolves biggest ask is the graphics card, 1050ti should be fine. If it slows/hiccups, just run 'generate optimised media' - rick click on your clips in media pool. In general settings I have my optimised media set to 1/4 resolution, makes editing smooth on an old i5 with 950M 2GB graphics. You can select 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th, or auto for optimised media settings. Still renders well in 4k once you're finished all the edits.
Thank you!

Where do you find the inro-videos..?
I downloaded the peogram. All titles is so small I can hardly se them and testing randomelly is mish-mash.. I have 0 experience to..

Wondershare Filmora isn't bad and can run on some 'lesser' hardware. It's not free unfortunately but not the most expensive either.

There's a free version (watermarked) to download to test though.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
I'm using Filmora and after initial playing - purchased the lifetime license ... I'm finding it great because it has a lot of on-line how-to resource, and makes it easy to add the touches, like opening and closing credits. It also has an integrated music library which is a bit limited, but OK. I have an old core-i7 which handles it OK ... Lol at the watermark comment above ... subtle is not in their vocabulary!

I'm using Filmora and after initial playing - purchased the lifetime license ... I'm finding it great because it has a lot of on-line how-to resource, and makes it easy to add the touches, like opening and closing credits. It also has an integrated music library which is a bit limited, but OK. I have an old core-i7 which handles it OK ... Lol at the watermark comment above ... subtle is not in their vocabulary!
Would you say it was worth the purchase? I just downloaded Davinci Resolve but haven't set up yet.

Would you say it was worth the purchase? I just downloaded Davinci Resolve but haven't set up yet.
I tried DaVinci but my PC seemed to groan at running it. From what I've seen on this forum, if you can get DaVinci running, it's probably the better bet. If you have the time tho' - you can get a fully functional free [demo] version of Filmora and have a play ... Only thing is - as you've seen - Project Exports are flagged with the Filmora banner.
For me it's worth the purchase - yes - because as a recreational flyer, I'm not going to need the wiz-bangs like you get in Adobe Pro' etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ