DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Editing

Dozer40

Reactions
What video editing software would you suggest for someone new to video? I am very familiar with photo editing software (Photoshop and Lightroom) but have not ever worked with video.

They have a 300$ studio version but I haven't missed anything it offers. The free version will take me a lifetime to figure out.

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum V16 - V17 coming out soon. Very cost effective and does everything you need.

For what it's worth, Adobe CC has a simpler version of Premier Pro called "Rush." I received a sample the other day and gave it a whirl. It is quite intuitive and easy to figure out most simple things.

For what it's worth, Adobe CC has a simpler version of Premier Pro called "Rush." I received a sample the other day and gave it a whirl. It is quite intuitive and easy to figure out most simple things.
I downloaded Rush last night. I'm going to be laying with it today. I'll let you know what I think. Please feel free to send any tips you have too.

The basics of video editing is that you first make separate folders for your "assets' (that's what they call them), such as a folder for video clips (label "video clips"), a folder for your stills, a folder for you music clips, etc. Then import these folders into the program (? right click, import). Then, drag selected asset into a timeline. You can drag the ends to shorten, Keep the cursor over the clip to change it in any way. There is also a selection of titles, graphics, as well as a selection for color correction, and transitions between the slide images, or video clips. . Remember, whatever you want to change, put your cursor over it. It is helpful to watch You Tube videos on Premiere. Nope this helps. It took me a huge learning curve for Premiere.

If you are familiar with Adobe then stick with them. They try to smooth out workflows and use similar tools across products to make it familiar and easier to learn. Also their in app learning panel is second to none in terms of anticipating the help you need while you are working on it.

I like to make separate bins in my source bin to organize by subject. Then mark ins and outs on those clips then organize on the timeline and tweek ins and outs again at that point.

Editing using lower res proxy files may take a little time on importing to ingest the source files but saves time in editing. Also makes scrubbing through files a lot easier when editing higher res source footage.

If I am looking for quick and dirty I will simply do everything in Adobe Rush from my phone using the lower res files that dji caches to your phone for their post flight editor. Rush is so much easier and better than the GO4 tools and you don't have to post to dji to share. After I am done I can simply transition to Premier if I want to tweet the edit further. This is great for posting to social media if I don't want to sit down at the desktop.

But it all comes down to import[emoji3591] organize [emoji3591]trim clips[emoji3591]add music track and add marks to guide edit points (cuts on the 1 neat works well)[emoji3591] assemble clips on time line[emoji3591]edit further to align with music[emoji3591]add transitions and effects [emoji3591]export.

Thats my basic process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dozer40
Just a quick example of Rush. 15 minutes from app opening to YouTube. Just used four clips that happened to be in my cache that show up automatically in the video sources in Rush. Nothing fancy but it's passable considering how boring the original footage of some practice time was.

My next step could be to go to Premier and add some titles fix and change the order of a couple of clips and what not since I just checked and it's already available to edit on my desktop from the cloud sync.

I just purchased my first drone, M2Pro, and my next challenge is learning to video edit with PS CC. I do have a landscape and PS background. Useful thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31