DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Feed choppy on Android -- normal?

Pretty frustrating. Still wondering if more RAM would help.
4GB is fine for most of the good flying tablets.
(The iPad mini 4 has 2GB and the Mini 5 has 3GB)
Have you run through the configuration suggestions at the end of post #5 ?

Smooth as silk on my P30 Pro phone. No idea why you're having problems. Hope you get it sorted out!

You could also try a previous version of the app to see if that makes a difference.

I can upload a copy of it for you if needed. Just let me know.

My personal experience:

Android phones present no problems with video stream
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T290) was very choppy, even with video cache off and no other apps loaded...couldn't stand using it.
iPad Mini 5 works great (but please don't tell anyone I bought an Apple device!!!)

These are strictly my 2 cents.

My personal experience:

Android phones present no problems with video stream
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T290) was very choppy, even with video cache off and no other apps loaded...couldn't stand using it.
iPad Mini 5 works great (but please don't tell anyone I bought an Apple device!!!)

These are strictly my 2 cents.

This is my situation, exactly. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jlatas
4GB is fine for most of the good flying tablets.
(The iPad mini 4 has 2GB and the Mini 5 has 3GB)
Have you run through the configuration suggestions at the end of post #5 ?
Yes, most of them although some apply to Go 4 not Fly. I'll try some of the others. Thanks.

MYSTERY SOLVED :)

Occasionally I've been able to virtually eliminate the choppiness in my video feed on the Samsung Tab S5e 64GB, so I know it's capable of giving me acceptably smooth video feeds. But whether it's choppy or not depended on something I could not get a handle on. Sometimes it was fine, then I'd reboot and it wasn't. Reinstalling sometimes helped. Clearing the data cache would help sometimes. Enabling or disabling caching made no difference. HD or Smooth video feed made no difference. Background apps running or not made no difference.

Are you ready for this? It's caused by the X gridline setting in the Camera settings. With the X enabled, it's unacceptably choppy, otherwise it's fine. (Duh, why didn't I think of that?) Turning it on and off during flight affects the choppiness immediately.

The other two gridline options, which don't run diagonally, are fine. I tend to enable the X so I can point the gimbal straight down and line up my landing pad. In my testing I often had it enabled, thus contributing to my confusion when I saw seemingly random results. Since my testing usually involved just taking off and panning the camera, then landing, I frequently had the X enabled.

You'll notice in the problematic video I linked in my original post, in the clip with the coal train I have all three gridline options enabled, including the X. Thus the problem. I hope all you technical guys and gals are embarrassed for not catching this immediately. (Just kidding of course.)

I really appreciate everyone offering their ideas and experiences as it encouraged me to keep pursuing the problem. I hope this is useful information for someone else. My guess is it's not just a problem with the S5e.

Big relief. Lots of time spent but worth it in the end as I really like the tablet.

Occasionally I've been able to virtually eliminate the choppiness in my video feed on the Samsung Tab S5e 64GB, so I know it's capable of giving me acceptably smooth video feeds. But whether it's choppy or not depended on something I could not get a handle on. Sometimes it was fine, then I'd reboot and it wasn't. Reinstalling sometimes helped. Clearing the data cache would help sometimes. Enabling or disabling caching made no difference. HD or Smooth video feed made no difference. Background apps running or not made no difference.

Are you ready for this? It's caused by the X gridline setting in the Camera settings. With the X enabled, it's unacceptably choppy, otherwise it's fine. (Duh, why didn't I think of that?) Turning it on and off during flight affects the choppiness immediately.

The other two gridline options, which don't run diagonally, are fine. I tend to enable the X so I can point the gimbal straight down and line up my landing pad. In my testing I often had it enabled, thus contributing to my confusion when I saw seemingly random results. Since my testing usually involved just taking off and panning the camera, then landing, I frequently had the X enabled.

You'll notice in the problematic video I linked in my original post, in the clip with the coal train I have all three gridline options enabled, including the X. Thus the problem. I hope all you technical guys and gals are embarrassed for not catching this immediately. (Just kidding of course.)

I really appreciate everyone offering their ideas and experiences as it encouraged me to keep pursuing the problem. I hope this is useful information for someone else. My guess is it's not just a problem with the S5e.

Big relief. Lots of time spent but worth it in the end as I really like the tablet.

Wow. Who would have expected that?

Well done on the troubleshooting! Lesson learned and sometimes forgotten, when having issues, reset the app to all defaults and go from there.

Who would have thought the X gridline being the cause of the choppiness? You may have discovered a new bug in the app, if so, hopefully it can be fixed in a future update.

Should be helpful for those with a similar issue to easily check.

Good catch! Hopefully someone reports this to DJI so that they can maybe fix it in a future release of DJI Fly.

Wow good catch. Will try this on my MM. A weird issue indeed.

One more vote for Huawei MediaPad M5 10"....works absolutelly smooth and really bright....

Hmmm... now I will have to go try this with my Samsung T-290 8" tab A. I had given up on using it do to this choppiness issue.
I tried the T-290 Samsung and couldnt stand the choppy video feed, so I did what I told myslef I would never do...I bought an iPad Mini 5 and have never looked back...But don't tell anybody!

I tried the T-290 Samsung and couldnt stand the choppy video feed, so I did what I told myslef I would never do...I bought an iPad Mini 5 and have never looked back...But don't tell anybody!
Just got done trying this. Here are my results:
- I previously had version v1.1.5, so I updated DJI FLY to v1.1.6 via sideloading the app.
- After reinstalling I did not bother rebooting or do any sort of clean-up. But I had the tablet in airplane mode as I would normally do when flying.
- After connecting to the drone, I changed the view mode to just show the simple '+' at the center of the screen.
- Results: No choppiness! I flew around for about 10 minutes, and it seemed stable.
But then the plot thickens: I changed the view mode to show the grid lines, and still no perceived choppiness. So perhaps as one of the previous posters mentioned, this problem was solved with the latest version of the app?
So the end result is that DJI FLY with the MA2 now appears quite use-able on my T-290. Thumbswayup

Last edited:

Shocking. ?

Reactions: jlatas
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest