Video flickering

Discussion in 'Mavic Air' started by BlackbirdSR71, Jun 24, 2018.

1. BlackbirdSR71

BlackbirdSR71 New Member

When I replay videos shot with the MA on my S8 edge , there is a noticeable flickering . It is not constant all over the scene but move from left to right. Has everyone experienced the same issue ? Thanks

2. ac0j

ac0j Well-Known Member

Sounds like your s8 is working better than some of the people here!
    Do a forum search or two, there is at least 25 threads on this already.
    Good luck.

3. shane8289

shane8289 Active Member

It's the cashed video, transfer full quality video it won't flicker.

4. Fixaldo

Fixaldo Well-Known Member

That is not entirely true. It’s mainly because of the GOP compression, where you have one single uncompressed image than a series of compressed images in a sequence. This cause a “flicker” effect. Also in the original files. The visible effect can be removed almost completely in post with proper noise reduction. It’s also recommended to use ND filter to get low shutter speed when recording. It’s also less visible in 1080p/2.5k compare to 4k.

If you don’t have any noise reduction abilities in post I recommend shoot 2.5k not 4k.

5. CanadaDrone

CanadaDrone Well-Known Member

What shutter speeds are you shooting at? Do you see it in the original footage as well when you offload it, or only on the phone?

6. Fixaldo

Fixaldo Well-Known Member

I normally try to get bellow 1/100 in daylight at 24/25fps. That is still high since 1/50 at 25fps will give the best picture IMO. You will still see flicker in most 4k shots, but it will be less noticeable. It’s a hardware/software weakness on the mavic pro and its quite visible in the original files. Although it can be removed almost entirely with some post production work later on.