DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video help - overexposed badly

Jerworrall

Reactions
Wondering if someone might help me out with some editing settings (I’m using lumafusion) trying to salvage this (and a bunch of other) blown out video from a hiking trip.

I’ve been playing with brightness and contrast as well as gamma. Also some saturation and vibrance and I improved it some, but if someone was willing to tweak it and give some specifics on what to change to salvage this I’d appreciate it.

I don’t understand the level sliders or the tint much, so maybe those have better options to help salvage this footage?

Screenshot of the video attached. Guess I need to figure out how to upload or send the original video file (just a short five second clip) (mp4 won’t upload)

Footage is dlog-m. Note that it was a very hazy day so the distance view is a combination of that and being overexposed...

I do have some luts for the dlog-m and they don’t seem to do anything with this footage.

I’d also welcome any advice on what I did wrong in capturing this video - white balance was taken off auto, but it looks like I needed to manually adjust exposure settings better? (It was bright out and I only had an iPhone (no iPad) and it was really hard to see the screen and tell if it was set up rightE32FEF15-112B-40D1-9863-D705A29D9EE1.png

Last edited:
Wondering if someone might help me out with some editing settings (I’m using lumafusion) trying to salvage this (and a bunch of other) blown out video from a hiking trip.

I’ve been playing with brightness and contrast as well as gamma. Also some saturation and vibrance and I improved it some, but if someone was willing to tweak it and give some specifics on what to change to salvage this I’d appreciate it.

I don’t understand the level sliders or the tint much, so maybe those have better options to help salvage this footage?

Screenshot of the video attached. Guess I need to figure out how to upload or send the original video file (just a short five second clip) (mp4 won’t upload)

Footage is dlog-m. Note that it was a very hazy day so the distance view is a combination of that and being overexposed...

I do have some luts for the dlog-m and they don’t seem to do anything with this footage.

I’d also welcome any advice on what I did wrong in capturing this video - white balance was taken off auto, but it looks like I needed to manually adjust exposure settings better? (It was bright out and I only had an iPhone (no iPad) and it was really hard to see the screen and tell if it was set up rightView attachment 71306

It’s really not as bad as it looks. Never gonna get detail in the sky back but use a program that has curves and try to mimic my curve.
That’s RGB or luminance.
And this is the blue channel

I’d also welcome any advice on what I did wrong in capturing this video - white balance was taken off auto, but it looks like I needed to manually adjust exposure settings better? (It was bright out and I only had an iPhone (no iPad) and it was really hard to see the screen and tell if it was set up rightView attachment 71306
Or better yet I made you a custom LUT to use to get it back to normal. You still may need to adjust some things a I left you head room to do that but this gets you back to a balanced starting point.

Wow, that’s great! This is a big help, thanks much!
Can you show how your footage is looking after applying this lut from brett8883?
Luma fusion 2.0 will come this month, sadly it still don’t have barrel distortion correction.

Before and after. (Did some additional tweaking in addition to the lut) - although some of the sky is lost really these were pretty hazy days and often it looked grayed out anyway

Thanks again!View attachment 71473View attachment 71474
Wow that’s amazing! Even I’m shocked! You did a great job with the additional adjustments! I do have one more trick up my sleeve. I don't know if you can add multiple LUTs in Lumafusion so you may have to export what you have so far and reimport the new file before adding this but this is a really powerful LUT so you may want to turn the opacity to zero and then add more LUT till you get what you want. Should cut through that haze like butter!

Reactions: MGVision
This is that cut_through_haze LUT at ~40% and you can turn it up even more. This is more of a universal LUT. That first one is only gonna help in situations almost exactly like you had, but this one can be applied to any footage but it works the best when there's actually haze.

Reactions: MGVision
Wow that’s amazing! Even I’m shocked! You did a great job with the additional adjustments! I do have one more trick up my sleeve. I don't know if you can add multiple LUTs in Lumafusion so you may have to export what you have so far and reimport the new file before adding this but this is a really powerful LUT so you may want to turn the opacity to zero and then add more LUT till you get what you want. Should cut through that haze like butter!

Yes we can use multiple LUTs in LumaFusion. Thanks for your LUTs! I will use them as well :)

Thanks!

Macius - any idea what I’m doing wrong? When I try to add another LUT it is replacing it not adding it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_