DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video is jerky no matter how slow I move, turn or maneuver.... this is something new because it did not happen in the past....

ColoradoSwede

Reactions
I have slowed down everything I can think of to create a smooth video but it still is jerky with any change of direction, elevation or command. Does anyone know why this is happening? I even reset the gimbal to factory settings.

It is not the gimbal....it is in the way it records that is jerky...I removed all the past videos and reformatted the SD csrd.... it is still a jerky recording.

I’m no expert videographer, but I know that the relationship between shutter speed and frame rate is all important for smooth video. Ideally shutter speed as a fraction of a second should equal the reciprocal of 2x frame rate. For example if your frame rate is set to 50 fps, then you need a shutter speed of around 1/100 sec. Of course it may not be possible the achieve this and still maintain correct exposure in all light situations, but this is where ND filters help.

Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
Hmmm...OK. I'll have to look at my camera settings. But I'm not sure that it really explains why the video jumps.... it seems to jump about every second for the duration of the video....I'm taken several and they all do that/.

I have slowed down everything I can think of to create a smooth video but it still is jerky with any change of direction, elevation or command. Does anyone know why this is happening? I even reset the gimbal to factory settings.

You need to provide in detail camera/drone settings. "I have slowed down everything" doesn't say anything.
Ideally you provide a video clip with your settings.

You need to provide in detail camera/drone settings. "I have slowed down everything" doesn't say anything.
Ideally you provide a video clip with your settings.

This.

And please define “jerky” - is it more of a stutter or is the video not smooth? Particularly not smooth during a pan / tilt motion?

The only reason you’re getting an actual jerky gimbal motion when and only if you’re doing a pan / tilt is due to a hardware malfunction. Such as a gimbal motor problem or something small stuck in the mechanism. But $5 says this ain’t it.

Run a test video at a proper “cinematic smooth” frame rate. So record at 1/60th shutter and 4K 30 (the 180° rule). Use NDs if too bright or just wait for the light to decrease if too overexposed.

And please add sample video for us to look at.

Thanks Max and Dakrisht. I actually tried to upload one but it was too big. I tried to zip it but it was still too big. As for settings I was referring to gimbal speed thinking if I set those perimeters slow it would help but that is when I realized that it was not the gimbal because it exists throughout the video and is worse when I turn or change elevation ..etc. It may take a while to repost because i am working 13 hour days for the next few but please look for an update when I get to get back to this (it's 4 AM now as I get ready for work). I'm a new flier and I have very little experience with both flying and video editing. But this much is true, when I got the M2P it had very good video and now it is jumpy like there is a glitch in the recording part so that the video is smooth for a second, jumps, is smooth for a second, jumps. t/o the entire video on every video I do.

Here is a 15 second clip...Maybe not...it says "the upload file does not have an allowed extension" (.MP4) . I don't see anyway in iMovie that I can change it....do you have any recommendations?

I too get some "jerky or jumpy" action in editing. If I look at the raw file it's fine. I think that since I use power director on my phone a lot, whatever minor problems I have with the phone can effect the quality of my editing. There just isn't enough ram to dedicate fully to the app for editing. I have to shut off anything running in the background and clean my memory before I run the program. This has helped me in the past. Not sure if that would work for you since you are using Apple. I use Apple for desktop, but I'm mostly on my phone because the office is not under my feet. Phones are great for accomplishing cool things, but they are not a desktop by any means.

May be your sd video card. I had same problem and noticed my video card had slow transfer write/read speed so I changed to high speed write/read U3 card and it’s been recording smooth since..I’m using Samsung and sansdisk brands now.
44CE762E-761D-4A46-860F-85AF766941DF.jpeg

My SD card is the same as I’ve always had which is the recommended one. My smart controller replay of the video shows the same jerkiness so it has to be with recording within the bird

may I also suggest as last resort if nothing else works just doing a factory reset on your bird. I know its a hassle but after doing that at least you will know whether or not its a hardware issue and therefore can contact dji..assuming you can get it resolved under coverage.

Here is a 15 second clip...Maybe not...it says "the upload file does not have an allowed extension" (.MP4) . I don't see anyway in iMovie that I can change it....do you have any recommendations?

If you have a Youtube account you can upload it there and provide the link.
You cannot upload a movie file here as attachment.

If it plays bad on the SC, and it used to play good, SD card may have gone bad. That happened to me with my P3 in 1080. Card works fine other places, just not for recordings. Other card of same make/model was fine, so card was the problem.

Reactions: jpzend125
Let’s take this step by.

OP. Just do this so we can analyze.

Shoot some video and upload the MP4 or MOV to YouTube directly from your computer (!)

Use these Settings:

4K HQ
H.264
Normal color
ISO100
Shutter at 1/60th
F/2.8
(Note: do this setting when it’s no too bright to keep EV within +/- 1.0)

Take off, do some slow pans left, right, do some gimbal up / down. Fly forward, back, left, right.

Upload that puppy and lets check it out.

Note: format your MicroSD card first. Good idea also to check if you’re using a fast enough SD card - SanDisk Extreme works best IMO but others should be ok.

I don’t think you have any hardware issues here, could simply be encoding, firmware glitch, bad SD card, etc.

Also, don’t play back the video from the drone via the Go4 app, results are all over the place and usually this is used for a quick preview.

Upload the raw juice directly to YouTube and let’s check it out :)

Also, try a different SD card as well if you have one. But reformat the first one (!!)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov