DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Keeps Tearing

eric56379

Reactions
Hi,

I am new to the forums, so I hope that this is the right place to post this question in. I am attempting to film on my Mavic Pro, and I am noticing some screen tearing whenever I record. I flew the drone twice so far, and I noticed some of this "tearing" a few times in each session that I've flown it in. This is what I am talking about:
Could it just be from the coldness? It's about 14F where I filmed this right now.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Eric

Last edited:
No, but it was hardly snowing when I was filming...
It was hardly tearing
It's moisture in the air you were flying in, no matter how much there's a chance of it affecting more than just image...not a good idea!
I'm not picking an argument
I'm out

I noticed that the 'judder' seemed to happen when you slowed the Drone down? Is that correct??
Have you noticed this happening while the drone is just flying i.e when it's not making a course or attitude change?
Are you by any chance flying a Mavic Pro, with DJI Mavic Pro Platinum 'quiet' prop's??

I noticed that the 'judder' seemed to happen when you slowed the Drone down? Is that correct??
Have you noticed this happening while the drone is just flying i.e when it's not making a course or attitude change?
Are you by any chance flying a Mavic Pro, with DJI Mavic Pro Platinum 'quiet' prop's??
Hi there. It's not really when it speeds up or slows down, it seems like it happens whenever it feels like it. I am using the Mavic Pro with the regular propellers. I flew it with regular and the quiet propellers, but they both seem to have that weird "tearing" issue.

The Mavic is inherently unstable, and uses a lot of feedback circuits to keep it stable. When you make a control change, the Mavic will put in a control input, that then 'fights' with the mechanisms that are trying to keep it doing what it was doing (e.g. going from hover to forward etc.). You can get conditions that make these feedback circuits a bit unstable, so instead of going 1-2 and being set, it goes 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 ... While this is almost invisible to the eye, it can set up a 'sympathetic' 'vibration' (oscillation) in the Mavic, which can then make the camera gimbal bounce around on its 'rubber bands' which keep it suspended from the drone. I've seen this condition vary from a continous 'judder' of the gimbal assembly, through to a 'judder' during attitude or direction changes. I mentioned the 'quiet' prop's, because this has been known to happen when people have put the 'quiet' prop's designed for the Mavic Pro Platinum, on the Mavic pro. But, there is something about your video that makes me think that the kind of problem you are seeing, is very similar to what you can sometimes get with the prop' swap.
I can't guarantee that it will be a cure for the problem, but you might like to have a look at the following video, and 'try' making some gain changes as described, to see if it makes a difference. Record what your gain settings were as default - and If it doesn't make a positive difference - you can always restore the settings and look elsewhere. This is a long video, but only because the subject is about a very sensitive change to settings ... Have a look and try it - and see ...

Hi,

All of my settings are default. What I did was reset my drone to factory default settings, updated all of the firmware, format the memory card, and I also reseted all of my settings for the drone within the app. That weird screen tearing isn't there anymore, since I think it's just too cold of weather, but there's also a massive "jump" with the gimbal whenever the drone moves. I'm guessing that it's normal, but I don't know how to adjust the settings so that whenever I fly the drone forward, it doesn't "jerk" forward, so that it doesn't throw the gimbal. This is what I'm talking about:

and

So, I'm guessing that the tearing issue isn't there anymore, but I'm still getting a weird jump when I move the drone. I feel like it's because the gimbal isn't locking-on or something, which causes it to move whenever the drone is moving. Sports mode is off.

Thanks. I might just contact DJI support during the weekdays next week.

Hmmm - last thing I can suggest, is to check if the tab at the back of the gimbal mount is where it should be ...
Gimbal_tab.jpg
The tab should be 'supporting' the gimbal plate, but can get a jolt on a rough landing [crash!] that puts it under instead of over the plate. That then makes it very difficult for the gimbal to compensate for movement ... Check that out, and if it is all OK - then sorry - but I can't think of anything else ... :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000