DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video of Camera Artifacts Using DJI Mavic Pro

SkyGuy

Reactions
Hello,

I recently purchased a DJI Mavic Pro and during the first couple of flights I captured what looks like internal reflections from the camera.

You'll have to view 1080p to see the issue I'm concerned about clearly.

There are donut shaped circles and vertical arked banding. The place to look is the the shaded trees on the left side of the video and focus on the foreground of the video in front of the trees.

The grey dot on the trail is a runner I covered up for privacy reasons.

Last edited:
It doesn't look unreasonable for looking into sun, I thought it could be a speck on the camera lens, not unusual to have them under front element from new unfortunately.

Reactions: SkyGuy
There is banding as well and I don't think it's specks such as dust. Thanks for your thoughts.

That's pretty normal if the sun is getting in your camera.

One of these will help you out:
https://www.amazon.com/AQGOODLIFE-M...0&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=mavic+lens+hood&psc=1

So what your saying that it's not unreasonable for a Mavic? I've not seen this other than normal lens flare in other cameras I own. I don't expect to see reflections from the internal structures of the camera which is what this appears to be when I look at it at home with higher resolution. I thought I would put it out there though in case anyone's got other ideas about the cause. I definitely consider it unreasonable but that's me. I suppose it could be the way the glass was manufactured causing the vertical arcing bands

Last edited:
Yeah, the problem is aiming the camera toward the sun when the sun is relatively low in the sky.

So what your saying that it's not unreasonable for a Mavic? I've not seen this other than normal lens flare in other cameras I own. I don't expect to see reflections from the internal structures of the camera which is what this appears to be. I thought I would put it out there though in case anyone's got other ideas about what they think it is. I definitely consider it unreasonable but that's me.

I went through the same thing as you. But then I realized that "other cameras I own" aren't typically above the trees facing the sun directly.

Normal behavior. You just have to learn to avoid it.

I went through the same thing as you. But then I realized that "other cameras I own" aren't typically above the trees facing the sun directly.

Normal behavior. You just have to learn to avoid it.
I agree it's when facing towards the sun but the other cameras I own don't exhibit this behavior. There are plenty of times "other cameras" face the same types of angles depending on the shot. I guess given the nature of this camera given it's size and other design attributes it may not be fair to judge the Mavic Pro's camera against more dedicated (not necessarily more expensive) equipment. I suppose I'll have to see if I can live with it but due to a couple of other reasons this one is going back.

Last edited:
Thanks, I agree it is with the angle of the light but it does

I agree it's when facing towards the sun but the other cameras I own don't exhibit this behavior. There are plenty of times "other cameras" face the same types of angles depending on the shot. I guess given the nature of this camera given it's size and other design attributes it may not be fair to judge the Mavic Pro's camera against more dedicated (not necessarily more expensive) equipment. I suppose I'll have to see if I can live with it.

The Mavic Pro's camera is not that great. Yeah it can shoot 4K at 30 FPS, but it has many limitations. Particularly the one that we are discussing in this thread.

The Phantom 4's camera is better.. but then you lose all of the portability that the Mavic offers. So it's just about realizing the camera's limitations and working around them.. You'll make it, I promise :)

I'm a perfectionist myself and my first 20 hours of flight time was spent critiquing every facet of this drone.. Now I am just learning to enjoy it.

The Mavic Pro's camera is not that great. Yeah it can shoot 4K at 30 FPS, but it has many limitations. Particularly the one that we are discussing in this thread.

The Phantom 4's camera is better.. but then you lose all of the portability that the Mavic offers. So it's just about realizing the camera's limitations and working around them.. You'll make it, I promise :)

I'm a perfectionist myself and my first 20 hours of flight time was spent critiquing every facet of this drone.. Now I am just learning to enjoy it.
I was already going towards your way of thinking. There are definitely positive aspects about the Mavic. Thanks

I agree it's when facing towards the sun but the other cameras I own don't exhibit this behavior.
So we can adequately compare, what other cameras do you own that you're comparing the Mavic's camera to?

So we can adequately compare, what other cameras do you own that you're comparing the Mavic's camera to?
We don't need to go down that path as it wouldn't be fair. I'll have to accept the limitations compared to what I'm personally used to using.

The shadows indicate your at a slight angle to the sun. Is it the same flying with the sun behind ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb