DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video of my Mavic Air 2 Crash - lesson learned

Yaros

Reactions
Yes, it happened. I crashed my Mavic Air 2 after having it for 7 months. Unexpected crash, totally pilot error.
My drone will be replaced by DJI, as I have Care Refresh, so that's good news.
I learned from this that you need to look carefully both sides before orbiting an object, or flying sideways at low height. It sucks to have the drone destroyed in such a (I would consider it) a minor crash.

Here is the video:

Photo showing the damage caused by the crash:

1645556771192.png

I always worry about the sideways flights with no protective sensors.

I don't understand why it won't let you fly an orbit with the aircraft pointing in the direction of travel so that the sensors can be useful, and with the gimbal turned 90 degrees to shot the central subject. It would seem that it's technically possible, but for some reason not permitted.

Also, WOW, that was a lot of drama at the end of the video. I guess the props didn't stop on impact? Not sure if the MA2 does that, I remember my old trust Spark, the props stopped cold at the first sensation of an impact. I have the (light) scar to prove it, lol.

Also, WOW, that was a lot of drama at the end of the video. I guess the props didn't stop on impact? Not sure if the MA2 does that, I remember my old trust Spark, the props stopped cold at the first sensation of an impact. I have the (light) scar to prove it, lol.
In theory it should stop at impact, but for some reason it didn't... Even after CSC command it didn't. Very weird, the motors went at maximum power and the propellers were scratching the ground at full power and destroyed the plastic arm of the drone where the motor was attached.

Reactions: basyok
In theory it should stop at impact, but for some reason it didn't... Even after CSC command it didn't. Very weird, the motors went at maximum power and the propellers were scratching the ground at full power and destroyed the plastic arm of the drone where the motor was attached.
I have never (knock on wood) crashed my ma2, but i crashed my spark plenty. I was always impressed at how quickly the props cut out on the spark. But, even when I sometimes land my MA2 in a place where the props brush up against some plants for a moment before turning off, I'm surprised that they actually keep beating against that plant without cutting out. The spark would have never done that.

When I've inverted my drone after hand catching, the motors stop pretty fast. But I do the flip of the wrist so the inversion is fast. Maybe a slow roll won't trigger the crash detection?

Reactions: Yaros
When I've inverted my drone after hand catching, the motors stop pretty fast. But I do the flip of the wrist so the inversion is fast. Maybe a slow roll won't trigger the crash detection?
I have also tried that many times, and it actually does stop... most of the time. Sometimes it doesn't, which seems odd.
I think what caused the drone to not stop the motors is that the metal from the light pole caused the compass and GPS to freak out, and it switched into ATTI mode, in the log it looks like the drone is drifting, when it's actually not.

Here is the log file: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

That hurts! I’ve done something similar. Since the Mini2 doesn’t have side sensors, when I can I’ve been experimenting with flying up to my target and stop directly over head. The end of the trail over the target is the point I want to orbit around on the map. Then back out to the distance and altitude I want to orbit. Turn and fly forward so I can see ahead of me. Fly the circumference of the shot using the end of that line over the target as the center point to fly around. Then using the map and ensuring I hold the same altitude I turn and face the target. Using the map I fly on the trail I just flew because I know it’s clear while recording the orbit. It takes some getting used to since you looking at both the map and the target. This works really well if just doing a side to side shot.

Sorry for your loss.
We learn as we go, and we don’t keep learning if we don’t keep going!
When your new drone comes, go back out to the same area and try it again!
And do exactly the same flight, but watch very closely so you can see the precise orientation where it gets damaged, and report back to us.

:D

Reactions: dozzn
Orbit is tricky , no matter where you fly it , it has gotten many of us some panic moments. Trying to Orbit low is a top gun move. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water ,
Back in the days of orbit GPS POI on GO4, this was easy. Used to plan flights like this all the time by flying the path first orbiting the GPS point with full orientation, height, and radius control. That way I could find and confirm a safe circle in 3D space, then do a spotlight Active Track to capture the footage.

I really miss those features.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yep - Orbit is a great feature but can prove fatal because it's hard to gauge the radius your aircraft will fly. And being that low.........wow. Good thing you had the Refresh. We all learn from these issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi