DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video: Real world Experience with AirSense

Flying way out of VLOS, and also over cars and people in a dense urban environment. This kind of irresponsible piloting is why the FAA is trying to force us to have Remote ID now. ?

True ... he did fly a straight line out, but at that range I doubt he is looking at his drone unless it is nearby. He also chose to fly over houses instead of streets with cars on it, so you have to give him some props ... but lol he flew over a freeway too to get closer to the water.

No one is perfect I guess, but yeah I do agree with you.

Reactions: deltamike
Is there a protocol you should follow when that warning goes off? Like dropping to a certain altitude?
I tend to drop to 150 ft but I have manned heli’s around here so.... I don’t want to risk anything

Not every FAA Part 107 drone pilot has access or requirements for a VO. It is ultimately the PIC's responsibility to be aware of all air traffic (with or without a VO) and take any necessary steps to avoid possible collisions. Even with ADS-B equipped aircraft, the PIC is still responsible to scan the airspace and take appropriate avoidance maneuvers. There is a legitimate safety reason why we must fly VLOS. No exceptions.

Not every FAA Part 107 drone pilot has access or requirements for a VO. It is ultimately the PIC's responsibility to be aware of all air traffic (with or without a VO) and take any necessary steps to avoid possible collisions. Even with ADS-B equipped aircraft, the PIC is still responsible to scan the airspace and take appropriate avoidance maneuvers. There is a legitimate safety reason why we must fly VLOS. No exceptions.

Agreed - and it's worth adding that this is why waivers to fly BVLOS come with other controls to mitigate that hazard.

I live fairly close to some smaller airports so I get the warning often.

It doesn't show the altitude or even the general direction of the aircraft, just the warning, however, each time it has gone off I've been able to easily spot and/or hear the aircraft and the general location it is referencing...

So the MAC's are close enough that it's a relevant warning, especially given the distance/range that these have.
I bet if you tap on the airplane it will show all the data as it shows all the altitude and speed data on flight aware 24

I had my MA2 on lastnight going over some settings and the Air Sense alerted me of a Manned aircraft. It showed it on the map heading right for my Home position. I watched the little icon come closer and closer to me until I actually heard either a helicopter or single engine plane fly right over the house. Pretty impressive!.

B.

Reactions: deltamike
My tiny scout give full info
Direction, Relative altitude and direction of flight and whether the aircraft is climbing or descending. scout and Spark.JPG

I bet if you tap on the airplane it will show all the data as it shows all the altitude and speed data on flight aware 24

Unfortunately I tried that and no additional data appears.

BTW, I had a helicopter fly directly overhead today (while my drone was powered on, but sitting on a table in front of me), and I can confirm that the audio AirSense warnings (at least with the Android DJI Fly app) are spoken in Chinese. Must be a bug with the app, since I'm in the USA and my device is set to English.

I get those regularly as I am near an airport and they still have it reading the warning in Chinese. The map seems to lag a lot when initially switching to it. It is neat info to have though.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I was more impressed by the pilot and his level of excitement!!! I’m a Texas guy we talk funny here, but those yankee people speak a whole mother language, this guy had me laughing my butt off

The video is nothing we haven't seen before, but the ENTHUSIASM is so infectious that he made me want to go fly. Right now! Thanks.

I haven't gotten anything in Chinese yet although I've had several warnings. Maybe I don't have the sound on?

I've only had the audio warning come on when the aircraft is passing especially close, maybe it's only triggered then?

You know, aircraft of all shapes and sizes have been known to fail in flight and if a Air 2 dropped on my head it would ruin my day somewhat I suspect.

As for the FAA rulings being totally ignored as well makes this flight dangerous and foolhardy to say the least in my opinion.

I am surprised of the lack of likes from other members of the forum, the majority of which seem to be responsible pilots.

I would like to think that the OP will live to regret the flight never mind posting it on U Tube. I hope that justice will prevail in some form or another.

Last edited:
I get those regularly as I am near an airport and they still have it reading the warning in Chinese. The map seems to lag a lot when initially switching to it. It is neat info to have though.

Mine was just delivered yesterday and on my second flight I had an ADS-B warning that was heard in English from my iPhone. I did experience the initial lag you mentioned when switching over to the map.

I saw a video of a german guy flying with ADS-B when his map was minimized it turned into an icon of an airplane and indeed showed its speed and altitude I'm trying to find it..
I thought ADS-B wasn’t implemented in EU yet.

Before launching my MA2 yesterday, I got that flashing warning indicating a manned aircraft nearby. I didn't hear the audio warning, just a visual warning on my dji fly app. Maybe my iphone volume was too low or because I still had not updated my dji fly app to the latest (however, i did update later that day).

The visual warning on my app seemed to be off/on. It would flash warning....then would disappear....then after a few seconds flash again, I would switch to map to view...i could see the approx. location of nearby manned aircraft...then it would disappear again. It did that for approx. 30 seconds until the aircraft was out of range.

Apparently, you can change the sensitivity of air sense as shown in this video:

I thought someone said if you clicked on the inbound aircraft icon you would get details such as speed and altitude. Is there actually a way to see those things?

I thought someone said if you clicked on the inbound aircraft icon you would get details such as speed and altitude. Is there actually a way to see those things?
That didn’t work for me. It just showed the manned aircraft on the map as a red icon and that icon moved in the direction of the plane. i switched over to the flightradar24 app to see the type of aircraft and the altitude.

although it has it’s limitations, I find the system very nice to have when flying. it would definitely be a deciding factor going forward between drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inecho