DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video shows devastating damage drones can inflict on planes

I saw that the other day. I suspect the smaller, collapsible drones like the Pro and Air would do significantly less damage. They will still probably punch a hole, just smaller. I would not want to hit an Inspire in a plane...

Reactions: Dragon2650
I have seen it too. I find it hard to believe that was a simulation of 238 miles an hour. That thing was going bullet speeds.

That is just another propaganda stunt by the people that want to use drones for delivery services.
You will see more of these kind of things in the future.
They will try anything to get the public to think all drones are a problem to public safety.
They would like nothing more than have the hobby drone flyer out of the sky.

Sure if a drone hits a plane it will do some damage but if a goose hits a plane it will also do some damage to a plane flying at 238 miles an hour.
Do they want to ban all geese flying in the sky also?

but still is bad for us drone pilots. we can fly safe but the ignorant people make it hard because they dont know and dont want to learn nothing

I hope that all Pilots on this site look at this.

I constantly despair at seeing posts when Pilots complain about lack of distance or altitude, or, applaud themselves for flying miles away.

Its plain stupid to fly outside LOS. Those who want to, should get a full Pilots license and fly a proper plane.

On a technical note, there is a problem with this experiment. The setup does not simulate what would happen in reality. In this demonstration a drone is fired at the leading edge of a stationary wing. I.e the wing has no airflow over it. Also the target it the exact leading edge of the wing. This scenario is unlikely to ever happen in the wild. In reality, the drone will be almost stationary relative to the air and the wing will be moving through the air at speed. In such a scenario the airflow would tend deflect the drone up and over the wing.

As someone pointed out a bird strike would also cause damage, yet how many birdstrikes do we hear about. Birds are much more numerous than drones. I have heard of engine strikes as the opposite is true here, the engine sucks in whereas the wing sucks up and over (its lifting all that weight by doing so!).

Having said that I am not advocating people fly way out of LOS. I have helicopters training in my area sometimes, so I always know where my drone is and am always listening out for interlopers. If I heard something I would return to home at a safe altitude.

Reactions: bonzo and sea157
On a technical note, there is a problem with this experiment. The setup does not simulate what would happen in reality. In this demonstration a drone is fired at the leading edge of a stationary wing. I.e the wing has no airflow over it. Also the target it the exact leading edge of the wing. This scenario is unlikely to ever happen in the wild. In reality, the drone will be almost stationary relative to the air and the wing will be moving through the air at speed. In such a scenario the airflow would tend deflect the drone up and over the wing.

As someone pointed out a bird strike would also cause damage, yet how many birdstrikes do we hear about. Birds are much more numerous than drones. I have heard of engine strikes as the opposite is true here, the engine sucks in whereas the wing sucks up and over (its lifting all that weight by doing so!).

Having said that I am not advocating people fly way out of LOS. I have helicopters training in my area sometimes, so I always know where my drone is and am always listening out for interlopers. If I heard something I would return to home at a safe altitude.

Birds are softer than drones. Huge difference. The flesh will deform and the bones break. The plastics and metal in a drone will not.

FOX News, need we say more?
Right. Fox News. They just report the real unbiased facts. That would piss me off too.........
THIS BS from an agenda driven university just happened to be slanted news.
I hope DJI sues and wins a Billion $$$ Law suit

Reactions: sea157
Birds are softer than drones. Huge difference. The flesh will deform and the bones break. The plastics and metal in a drone will not.
The plastics will be about like bone. There isnt much significant metal in a drone. except for the motors. The battery is dense like a bullet, BUT in the video of the test, one motor and the battery did NOT make it into the wing, and can be seen in the video.

Reactions: sea157
The plastics will be about like bone. There isnt much significant metal in a drone. except for the motors. The battery is dense like a bullet, BUT in the video of the test, one motor and the battery did NOT make it into the wing, and can be seen in the video.

Drones are purposefully designed to be sturdy enough NOT to break apart when landing (crashing). It's the dissipation of energy during the impact that makes the most difference.

Right. Fox News. They just report the real unbiased facts. That would piss me off too.........

Fox News - Media Bias/Fact Check

“Overall, we rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to word and story selection that favors the right and Mixed factually based on poor sourcing and spreading conspiracy theories that later must be retracted. (7/19/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 6/15/2018)”

Drones are purposefully designed to be sturdy enough NOT to break apart when landing (crashing). It's the dissipation of energy during the impact that makes the most difference.
But they DO break apart with not much of a fall. It’s posted here on almost a daily basis

It’s niether here nor there. Hitting a drone like that with a plane would be harder than winning the power ball lottery.

Fox News - Media Bias/Fact Check

“Overall, we rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to word and story selection that favors the right and Mixed factually based on poor sourcing and spreading conspiracy theories that later must be retracted. (7/19/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 6/15/2018)”

A fair assessment of Fox News but, in this case, they have simply reported on the tests that were done.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming