DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video stream garbled on Nexus 5X, firmware 1.04.0400

bartjes

Reactions
Problem? Video stream is gabled and lagging behind when the drone moves. It takes 5-10 seconds to recover when the drone is stationary.
Also: After landing the drone I put the drone off and on one minute later. The phone and controller stayed on while I did that. The DJI app kept saying Aircraft disconnected even after a phone reboot in-flight.

Was unit in a crash? A couple of flights back it bumped into an object where the gimbal plate got 'unhooked' and I needed to re-cabrate the front object avoidance sensors + replace some of the propellors. The 'bump' was at low speed and close to the ground. No real repair was needed and I've done a couple of successful flights since then, not having this problem.

What have you tried so far?
- I haven't flown the drone for some time and I upgraded the firmware yesterday to test it today with these problems as result.
- Re-installed the DJI Go app, remove cache and settings of the app, set smallest width in android debug settings to 468 (iso. 411)
- Kill all running apps on my phone, remove widgets, disable GPS, WiFi, 4G and set airplane mode, max. screen brightness before starting DJI Go app
- Disable local video cache, set video streaming to auto and got 12-25 MBit transmission rate while I had these issues. (distance controller to drone was never more than 2 meters).
- The first movement of the drone causes the image to blur and it keeps being blurry until the drone is stationary for some time OR when I take a picture.
- I also tried the phone of my wife (Moto G4 play) and the results are even worse, it has a 2 second delay between the drone's footage and the phone showing this.
- Video and pictures taken by the drone are OK on the SD card so it is only the streaming video to my phone that has these problems.

Special circumstances:
- I have set 4K video output and JPG+RAW for photo's
- Today is sunny with some 28 degrees C

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Nexus 5X, android 8.1.0 and also Moto G4 Play, android 7.1.1
Please don't start about "buy an iPhone, that will not be helpful

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Latest firmware that was released yesterday, 1.04.0400

What Go app version are you using? DJI Go 4 app, v4.2.20 last update 8 July 2018

Any modification? No

Did you change anything or install any apps? See above, this is the only app I use to fly my drone

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? Note: the below garbled image persist for at least 5-10 seconds.29406727738_9183c14b65_o.jpg Garbled video on Mavic pro. The scene is bushes with asphalt pathway in foreground. Mavic is on the ground here

Last edited:
Update: I also tried using a Samsung Galaxy SM-T533 tablet (android 5.1.1) with the same issues, video lags behind big time and gabling happens. This is the only app running and I disabled all antennas of the tablet to reduce interference

Try testing with previous DJI Go 4 version, i.e. the v4.2.16 instead (Android). I have seen some people/posts with bad video transmission using the latest. I have myself not yet updated to the v4.2.20 so I cannot tell. You can get it from APK-mirror and do a "side load" (google this in case you do not know how to do it).

Last edited:
Try testing with previous DJI Go 4 version, i.e. the v4.2.16 instead (Android). I have seen some people/posts with bad vide transmission using the latest. I have myself not yet updated to the v4.2.20 so I cannot tell. You can get it from APK-mirror and do a "side load" (google this in case you do not know how to do it).

^^^ Thumbswayup

Try testing with previous DJI Go 4 version, i.e. the v4.2.16 instead (Android).
I installed it, and let the drone fly maximum turning around speed in sports mode and I again have fluent video without artifacts, just a little now and then.
Thanks very much !
I will not touch the software again on app or drone before my holidays, I was getting a little nervous though... ;-)

I installed it, and let the drone fly maximum turning around speed in sports mode and I again have fluent video without artifacts, just a little now and then.
Thanks very much !
I will not touch the software again on app or drone before my holidays, I was getting a little nervous though... ;-)

Great that it worked! I have set my app not to do automatic updates for this reson.. DJI's track record, on Android updates, is not the best. Happy flying!

Just posted a bad review on the current DJI Go app, I'm not happy to have this **** just weeks before having my holidays, partially completely off-grid. These problems should not happen there.
Of course I've set the DJI app to manual update only, thanks. Happy flying !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada